• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  16

Just now, LonerAndy said:

Why is that a problem....

because the Church is an organism, not an organization.  One Body, with a Head who is God.  Not a building or any organization....

• This is Worthy 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, Jostler said:

because the Church is an organism, not an organization.  One Body, with a Head who is God.  Not a building or any organization....

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

You could say every company is an "organism" too.

The bottom line is, the church is an organization, or an organism, and the difference is nothing.

or·gan·i·za·tion

(ôr′gə-nĭ-zā′shən)

n.
a. A group of persons organized for a particular purpose; an association or business.
b. The administrative personnel of such a structure: contacted the organization with his complaint.

Splitting hairs on irrelevant points, is a waste of time.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

3 hours ago, LonerAndy said:

Further, I hate thieves.  I've been robbed numerous times in my life, and I absolutely despise and hate thieves.  In Malachi 3, it says "Will man rob God? Yet you are robbing me. But you say, ‘How have we robbed you?’ In your tithes and contributions."

Jesus did not mind himself being associated with thieves, saying he would come like a thief in the night, charging those who were not ready for his coming. Thieves are sinners just like you and me, yet Jesus saves even them.  Is it okay for you to be forgiven of your sins, but not the thief? The thief on the Cross could not get down to give back all that he stole, yet Jesus said he would be with him in Paradise. Who will judge him? Me? You? No one, not even the thief, deserves heaven, but even he can be saved by God's grace. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill

12 minutes ago, LonerAndy said:

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

You could say every company is an "organism" too.

The bottom line is, the church is an organization, or an organism, and the difference is nothing.

or·gan·i·za·tion

(ôr′gə-nĭ-zā′shən)

n.
a. A group of persons organized for a particular purpose; an association or business.
b. The administrative personnel of such a structure: contacted the organization with his complaint.

Splitting hairs on irrelevant points, is a waste of time.

bro if you are comfortable that you are honoring and obeying the Spirit in how you handle your wealth, that is all that is required.  He does have men in the Body whom He has given the privilege of eating from the gospel.  And He ensures they are supported.  But making what He leads you to do, a rule all must follow, is legalism....bondage to something we have been freed from.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42

5 minutes ago, Jostler said:

bro if you are comfortable that you are honoring and obeying the Spirit in how you handle your wealth, that is all that is required.  He does have men in the Body whom He has given the privilege of eating from the gospel.  And He ensures they are supported.  But making what He leads you to do, a rule all must follow, is legalism....bondage to something we have been freed from.

Whatever floats your boat.

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  813
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  10/03/1987

13 hours ago, Billiards Ball said:

But the church needs money, too, and all the NT teaching is "take care of the church first--and second and third". Almost every statement "help the poor" is to help the poor of the congregation/God's people.

How about splitting your tithe into three parts and you can always make offerings (above a tithe) as led?

thats true.

i do see the person i helped this week and their family as part of my church family :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502

7 hours ago, preciouspearl said:

thats true.

i do see the person i helped this week and their family as part of my church family :)

I understand, and there is flexibility there, but the tithe is meant for the church to support the leaders and run the church ministries. I personally used to tithe to individuals I was supporting in the church rather than the main fund, however, my pastor gave me permission to do so when I asked.

• Group:  Mars Hill

16 hours ago, Billiards Ball said:

I understand, and there is flexibility there, but the tithe is meant for the church to support the leaders and run the church ministries. I personally used to tithe to individuals I was supporting in the church rather than the main fund, however, my pastor gave me permission to do so when I asked.

The tithe was meant for the support of the Levites under the old covenant.  It has no relevance to the new covenant and those bound only by the law of love.  The Lord Himself, our Head, knows exactly what resources need to go where....and is fully capable of moving the hearts and designating the giving necessary to meet those needs.  If the people had been taught giving instead of tithing according to His plan for the church, His work would have been accumulating a lot more than a measly ten percent....   Teaching people to follow rules instead of God is the result of fear and unbelief...and in many cases greed.

Edited by Jostler
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502

7 hours ago, Jostler said:

The tithe was meant for the support of the Levites under the old covenant.  It has no relevance to the new covenant and those bound only by the law of love.  The Lord Himself, our Head, knows exactly what resources need to go where....and is fully capable of moving the hearts and designating the giving necessary to meet those needs.  If the people had been taught giving instead of tithing according to His plan for the church, His work would have been accumulating a lot more than a measly ten percent....   Teaching people to follow rules instead of God is the result of fear and unbelief...and in many cases greed.

The tithe has relevance for NT believers. I'm not a legalist, but I understand tithing, offerings, being baptized, witnessing, etc. all bring benefits not only to the church or unbelievers, but the participants. There are dozens of dozens of great churches that are rich in good works for every pastor who is a greedy consumer.