Luke 16:18

• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

This verse is easy enough to understand, but for me it also has another meaning. I fornicated a few months ago (only with one girl) and decided to stop and repent, but what this verse is telling me is that if I were to marry someone else and do anything with them, it would be adultery for both of us because I had done it before. I'm perfectly willing to remain celibate for the rest of my life if God wants me to, but it would be nice to not have to. What about the people in the Bible that had children with other women? For example Abraham, or am I misinterpreting the verse?

Edit: Thank you for the response Ddisconnect, but no I was not married to her, that's why I said "fornicated". We did plan on getting married but things didn't work out and I very much doubt that we'll ever get back together.

Edited by HarveyO

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42

On 4/18/2020 at 4:02 PM, HarveyO said:

This verse is easy enough to understand, but for me it also has another meaning. I fornicated a few months ago (only with one girl) and decided to stop and repent, but what this verse is telling me is that if I were to marry someone else and do anything with them, it would be adultery for both of us because I had done it before. I'm perfectly willing to remain celibate for the rest of my life if God wants me to, but it would be nice to not have to. What about the people in the Bible that had children with other women? For example Abraham, or am I misinterpreting the verse?

Edit: Thank you for the response Ddisconnect, but no I was not married to her, that's why I said "fornicated". We did plan on getting married but things didn't work out and I very much doubt that we'll ever get back together.

So if you were not married, and thus you are not getting a divorce, and Luke 16:18 is about people who marry and divorce....

Then it has nothing to do with your situation.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24

On 4/18/2020 at 8:02 PM, HarveyO said:

This verse is easy enough to understand, but for me it also has another meaning. I fornicated a few months ago (only with one girl) and decided to stop and repent, but what this verse is telling me is that if I were to marry someone else and do anything with them, it would be adultery for both of us because I had done it before.

The verse you brought up speaks to one being within the bounds of matrimony. If as a married Christian, you were to divorce your wife, and marry another, you commit adultery. And any that marries the previously divorced wife, commits adultery with her, as she was previously married.

Luke 16:18  Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.

God, as you already knew, sees fornication as sin too, and you have lost the virginity that should have been saved until marriage.
You had fornicated, repented of this sin towards God, and been forgiven. Stay washed, sanctified and grow in Jesus Christ!

1Corinthians 6:9-11  Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, (homosexual men acting like women) nor abusers of themselves with mankind, (homosexuals in general) (10) Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, (nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. (11) And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

God created sex, and He only meant for it to be enjoyed within the bounds of marriage, between one man, and one woman.
Satan has always hated this, and given a multitude of sinful ideas as an attempt to destroy something God created to be beautiful, while bringing forth children!

Genesis 1:27-28  So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created He them. (28) And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Jesus Christ spoke towards the same in the N/T:

Matthew 19:4-6  And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that He which made them at the beginning made them male and female, (5) And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? (6) Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24

On 4/18/2020 at 8:02 PM, HarveyO said:

I'm perfectly willing to remain celibate for the rest of my life if God wants me to, but it would be nice to not have to.

Your free to marry another Christian.
As a forgiven fellow Christian, if you were date in the future, don't give Satan opportunities, look to stay out in the open, or be with friends and such.

Along with that, please understand, God ONLY wants Christians marrying Christians. When they don't, nothing but problems follow.
I've seen this many times over the years, the Christian often "thinks" they will win the unbeliever over to Christ and goes on to marry an unbeliever going against God's clear will on the matter. While they "may be" the one out of a thousand that do win one over, they were clearly sinning themselves when they knew what the Lord had to say on the matter.

2Co 6:14-16  Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? (15) And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? (16) And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

On 4/18/2020 at 1:02 PM, HarveyO said:

That only pertains to those who are married. You have asked for forgivness. Now move on and only be intimate with the woman you marry. 

• 2 months later...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 4/18/2020 at 9:02 PM, HarveyO said:

You made a mistake which is what we do. Just consider marrying the next time you want sex. The problem is once you have sex with someone not married to then you will keep going to her for sex and than your sex drive might become overbearing. Its good to get married as sex in marriage is much better, i am not married, but i have had sex without being married, highly overrated.