• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.47
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

Meat has been thin on the shelves here. I did put a 8.5 pound pork shoulder in the smoker early this morning.

It will take 12-14 hours.

:-)

pork.jpg

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Alive said:

Meat has been thin on the shelves here. I did put a 8.5 pound pork shoulder in the smoker early this morning.

It will take 12-14 hours.

Yes!!!

I'm drooling...

I've got one of those WSM, ...great minds think alike!  LOL

Bon appetit!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, JustPassingThru said:

Yes!!!

I'm drooling...

I've got one of those WSM, ...great minds think alike!  LOL

Bon appetit!!!

Ha ha! I really like it a lot. Such a simple and brilliant design.

I am considering an Oklahoma Joe's offset--smoke/grill combo, though.

MY WSM is the smallest one. That butt barely fit.

For you brother---this was at 4.25 hours in.

A yellow mustard wipe followed by a rub of my own making.

IMG_7945.jpg

There's quite a story behind it...

Back in the early 2,000's I was craving some deep pit" cooked" beef that we always ate at the County Fair, so I went on line to learn how to cook it in the oven, TVWBB site popped up and I read everything and drooled over the pics, ...a few years later the WSM showed up in our Ace Hardware store!

I was good friends with the manager and since they were all still in there boxes, stacked on the highest shelf, ..I asked him to give me one and I would buy it, ...he said NO! 

What???

He said they were no good, cooking on them made your lips and tongue tingle, ...of course I knew immediately that was from using the wrong wood.

He still wouldn't sell one to me, ..so I told him if he didn't have some one climb up there and bring one down for me I would do it myself!

Still he resisted, ...said he would knock of 50% on a Weber Gas BBQ Grill;

I walked over to the ladder on wheels and rolled it into place, ...he said okay, but don't bring is back for a refund!

I bought it, some charcoal, wood chips and stopped at the store for some chicken!  LOL

When I stared to assemble it it was the same story from the father-in-law, ...he even told my wife not to eat the chicken! 

HA! ...more for me, ...well the chicken was delicious for the first time smoking, and as my wife watched me "scrafe" it down, ...she finally asked me if my lips and tongue "tingled," ...of course not, ...so she tried a piece and has been hooked ever since...

That WSM caused a Smoker revival here, I took some chicken, lamb, brisket, pork to my manager friend to try, ...and the WSM's came down from the shelf and sold out, ...even caused a BBQ Cook Off where a local Tahitian man was a celebrity from Kolanta, the French version of Survivor, came to judge.

Then came  the Great Smokey Mountain cabinet smoker that I modded with PID controlled electric stripe heater for sausage making, I finally took my friend up on his offer for a gas BBQ Grill and then a  charcoal grill and finally, living and working for a while at the Central Coast counties of San Luis Obispo and Santa Maria, I built myself a Santa Maria style BBQ and talked the meat guy into ordering some Tri-tip for me.

Man, I've been down the Smoking meat and BBQ'en road, ...in Tahiti!!!

Father has been so good to me!

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Alive said:

For you brother---this was at 4.25 hours in.

A yellow mustard wipe followed by a rub of my own making.

Oh yes, ...that's torture, ...I don't have much time to "smoke" now, too busy with work, ...gonna have to fire up the "bullet" this weekend, though, ...Roadside Chicken is a family favorite, ...I just cut back on the vinegar.

I'll be waiting for the "money" shot...

Thanks for the motivation bro,

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, JustPassingThru said:

There's quite a story behind it...

Back in the early 2,000's I was craving some deep pit" cooked" beef that we always ate at the County Fair, so I went on line to learn how to cook it in the oven, TVWBB site popped up and I read everything and drooled over the pics, ...a few years later the WSM showed up in our Ace Hardware store!

I was good friends with the manager and since they were all still in there boxes, stacked on the highest shelf, ..I asked him to give me one and I would buy it, ...he said NO! 

What???

He said they were no good, cooking on them made your lips and tongue tingle, ...of course I knew immediately that was from using the wrong wood.

He still wouldn't sell one to me, ..so I told him if he didn't have some one climb up there and bring one down for me I would do it myself!

Still he resisted, ...said he would knock of 50% on a Weber Gas BBQ Grill;

I walked over to the ladder on wheels and rolled it into place, ...he said okay, but don't bring is back for a refund!

I bought it, some charcoal, wood chips and stopped at the store for some chicken!  LOL

When I stared to assemble it it was the same story from the father-in-law, ...he even told my wife not to eat the chicken! 

HA! ...more for me, ...well the chicken was delicious for the first time smoking, and as my wife watched me "scrafe" it down, ...she finally asked me if my lips and tongue "tingled," ...of course not, ...so she tried a piece and has been hooked ever since...

That WSM caused a Smoker revival here, I took some chicken, lamb, brisket, pork to my manager friend to try, ...and the WSM's came down from the shelf and sold out, ...even caused a BBQ Cook Off where a local Tahitian man was a celebrity from Kolanta, the French version of Survivor, came to judge.

Then came  the Great Smokey Mountain cabinet smoker that I modded with PID controlled electric stripe heater for sausage making, I finally took my friend up on his offer for a gas BBQ Grill and then a  charcoal grill and finally, living and working for a while at the Central Coast counties of San Luis Obispo and Santa Maria, I built myself a Santa Maria style BBQ and talked the meat guy into ordering some Tri-tip for me.

Man, I've been down the Smoking meat and BBQ'en road, ...in Tahiti!!!

Father has been so good to me!

I would love to see a picture of that smoker you built!

Its great fun and the food can really be enhanced and many will tell you that smoked food is more healthy.

And yessiree! A whole chicken comes out really good! As does, ribs, brisket and....

Reminds me--I have a Tuna steak in the freezer that needs some smoke.

LOL

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Alive said:

I would love to see a picture of that smoker you built!

It's like this only heavier built, cooks up a whole lot of chicken, ...that's what the family is into.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/150378376/custom-santa-maria-bbq-grill-pit-36x-24

41 minutes ago, Alive said:

44 minutes ago, Alive said:

Ohhh, do it!!!

The first time we smoked tuna we didn't care for it, ...placed it in the fridge for the cats, ...the next day I curiously took a bite...

Oh man, ...it needs to rest in the fridge, like cheese, for the smoke flavor to come out.

That evening, ...when wife came home she asked, "What's for dinner," ...I said, "Tuna sandwiches," she curled up her nose, ...until she took a bite!  LOL

Beef is expensive for us, but fresh caught tuna, is $4.50 a pound,...yes!!!

52 minutes ago, Alive said:

And yessiree! A whole chicken comes out really good! As does, ribs, brisket and....

And a leg of lamb, with home made mint sauce, ...heaven on earth.

If you have never smoked lamb it cooks very fast, 1:45-2:00 hours, I fashioned a "S" hook and installed an eye in the lid to hang it from, with a small fire and low temp it will pick up some of the smoke flavor.

You're making me hungry and I need to go to work...