• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  441
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/20/1970

If i could ask for one thing for myself, i think it would be direction in life, and knowing the right way to go at the right time. Maybe similar to what Solomon asked to help him rule the nation and always make the best decisions at all times, or at least not to make any harmful or detrimental choices...which is what i fear more than anything else. Like crossing a bridge so to speak and then not being able to ever go back...very scary at that point.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  211
  • Content Count:  1,463
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/23/1966

3 minutes ago, CaptWalker said:

If i could ask for one thing for myself, i think it would be direction in life, and knowing the right way to go at the right time.

Amen. Shalom.

Mark 11:[22] And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God.
[23] For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.
[24] Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,621
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  02/15/1973

On 5/23/2020 at 6:56 AM, SONshine said:

Shalom :) ....Jesus is telling his disciples that after He has ascended into heaven to be with the Father, they would do many times the work that He had done during His 3-year ministry on earth. The subject is you and I doing the Father’s work—the ministry of Jesus.  These works our Father promises to bless.  We receive the blessings and the Father gets the glory when even one soul comes to know Him.  ...and whatever we ask for, we should always ask in His name.  

John 14:12-15 King James Version (KJV)

12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

~ Holding on to the good Book, Lucy 94075D87-D781-4EBE-8C9B-1E8EE29825CD.gif.4a0ced2c9edcb6fd4d0a5c8aa34bac14.gif

These verses are not saying we will be doing more works but greater works. Jesus healed physical bodies while on this earth as an example or a contrast to see that the greater works will be that we will heal spiritually that which Jesus did physically. Jesus healed physical blind eyes. We are going to heal spiritually blinded eyes. Jesus heal physical leprosy.

We are going to heal the spiritual leprosy of a sin sick soul. Jesus healed physical people that were lame and could not walk. We are going to heal people’s souls so that they can walk spiritually. Jesus raised physical bodies to life. We are going to raise spiritual bodies from spiritual death unto eternal life.

These are the greater works we will do when we are in the Son Jesus and when Jesus is in the Father. When we are one with the trinity or unity of Spirit that’s when these things that we speak out will be our prayer fulfilled and manifested in our everyday life lived. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

There is a difference in what we want and what we need.

Question: "What did Jesus mean when He said He would give us ‘whatever you ask in my name’?"

Answer: 
In John 14, Jesus says, “Very truly I tell you . . . I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it” (verses 12–14). This promise seems to give us the right to ask for anything and everything we want, and Jesus is obligated to give it to us—but is that really what the Lord is saying here?

The entire fourteenth chapter of John serves as Jesus’ valedictory address to His disciples. The soon-coming crucifixion would leave His followers scared and confused, so Jesus provided them with comfort and assurance regarding a number of things, including how they would carry on His work. Part of this comfort was the promise that Jesus would hear and answer their prayers. Jesus tells them that anything they ask “in my name” would be granted to them.

Jesus is not promising to be a personal vending machine; rather, He is encouraging confidence and faithfulness in prayer. When Jesus says to pray “in my name,” He means that we can pray in His authority. He has provided the access we need to heaven. When our requests, made in the name of His Son, further God’s purposes and kingdom, God will act on our behalf, and in the end the Father will be “glorified in the Son” (John 14:13). A good example of such a prayer is Christ’s in the garden where He prayed, “Not my will, but yours be done” (Luke 22:42).

In the old American West, before the days of credit cards, a shopkeeper would maintain a ledger book recording the activities of each customer’s account and the amount owed. The business owner knew his customers well and the work in which they were involved. A customer would at times send others to the shop for him to make purchases and bring back materials needed for his home or business. Those sent in the customer’s stead (e.g., his children) would be able to receive the goods “in the name of” the account owner. But, if they tried to purchase things not in line with what the shopkeeper knew the customer needed or wanted, the purchase would be denied.

Coming to God in Jesus’ name is similar to those old financial transactions. Jesus holds the account, and we are welcome to come to the Father in Jesus’ name to receive what we need. The Father willingly grants our requests because of Jesus’ standing. Of course, if we are asking for things that we don’t need or that are contrary to the character or will of Christ, then we cannot expect to receive those things (see James 4:3).

When He said He would give “whatever you ask in my name,” Jesus was not delivering a magical formula for getting whatever we want. He was giving us a guiding principle to align one’s desires with God’s. When we pray “in Jesus’ name,” we pray according to the will of God; we pray for what will honor and glorify Jesus. God will provide the means necessary to accomplish His objectives, and He equips us as His servants. Ultimately, God receives all the glory and praise for what is done.
https://www.gotquestions.org/whatever-you-ask-in-my-name.html

Edited by missmuffet
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42

On 5/22/2020 at 11:55 AM, CaptWalker said:

Or is it just anything you NEED? So what exactly does John-14:14 mean...

"If you ask anything in my name, i WILL do it."

And i have heard that it must first be in His will, but why doesn't it say that?? Is this some kind of test that God is using to see how some people will react or how much they actually expect God to do for them? As opposed to those who are simply too humble to ask for that much...at least not for themselves.  

Because asking something in his name, by definition means it must be in G-d's will, to be heard.

Could you pray "Lord Jesus, please let my neighbor die, so I can marry his widowed wife.  In your name, amen."

Of course you could say those words, but Jesus isn't going to answer that prayer, because that is evil, and obvisously not in the Lord's will.

It would be like if your wife hates pineapple.  She absolutely does not like pineapple at all.

So if you went to a restaurant, and your wife went to the bathroom when the waiter showed up, could you order pineapple in your wife's name?   In that situation you could say that, and then she'd be really angry, right?

But the answer is you can't do that in your wife's name.  Same is true of the Lord.  You can't ask for something the Lord's does not want, in his name.

• 3 weeks later...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 5/22/2020 at 4:55 PM, CaptWalker said:

Or is it just anything you NEED? So what exactly does John-14:14 mean...

"If you ask anything in my name, i WILL do it."

And i have heard that it must first be in His will, but why doesn't it say that?? Is this some kind of test that God is using to see how some people will react or how much they actually expect God to do for them? As opposed to those who are simply too humble to ask for that much...at least not for themselves.  

That is a very good question. Jesus is an exceedingly intelligent person in the Godhead. He says anything, but what he didnt say was there is a time limit on which he will make it come to pass. He also didnt say that it depends on the belief personally too, and the steps required to get this thing. If a person wants something bad the conscience will work in the mind and deter them, from keeping on going in faith. It the person wants something good, there are other verses in the old and new testament that say how a person must use faith and the story of Abraham is an example of this. It took 25 years for the promise to come to pass. Who nowadays has that kid of patience. If he said he wouldnt do anything for us that we ask, then he would be saying heresy against the father and against other words he said in other gospels, he wanted men to see they have power through him to do anything.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  441
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  03/20/1970

Well all that does make sense and i also can see how there would be no time limit to receiving whatever we had asked for. But obviously this will not be the same general time frame for every person, since some people may only be alive for another 5 years, and then someone like me may have prayed for something back in 1995 and still not seen it come to pass. So to speak of God's timeline in years only or in a manner that is implying there is almost no such thing as an immediate answer is a bit misleading to say the least! When He said "I will do it" seems to be indicating a much more imminent answer is likelier than a prolonged one, since i can't even recall a lot of things i may have prayed for even 10 years ago. But maybe that simply means they just weren't important enough to remember...??