• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  441
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/20/1970

Or is it just anything you NEED? So what exactly does John-14:14 mean...

"If you ask anything in my name, i WILL do it."

And i have heard that it must first be in His will, but why doesn't it say that?? Is this some kind of test that God is using to see how some people will react or how much they actually expect God to do for them? As opposed to those who are simply too humble to ask for that much...at least not for themselves.  

Edited by CaptWalker
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  1

Shalom @CaptWalker

Great question. Perhaps I can help. 

Suppose you became the wealthiest man overnight. You had need for nothing. Everything you wanted and desired you could have.  You had more than enough to give to as many charities as you wish and in great abundance. 

Suppose you had a son during those days who was coming of age and who you were training diligently in the ways of Yahweh.Y And you say to your son "Anything you ask for you can have. Just ask me, and it's yours". But suppose your son replies "aha! ANYTHING eh?? 15 prostitutes and enough alcohol to drink myself into oblivion".  (btw I'm not saying that's you, just using an exaggerated example) 

Anything means anything, but it doesn't mean absolutely anything. 

You would be willing to give your son anything, but not absolutely anything.  You would happily fulfil his heart's desire but not if the desire was going to lead away from Yahweh and into darkness.  Giving to him in such a way would actually be a great crime. 

I believe the Father would give you anything, whilst you are walking on the path of righteousness. But, if He does or doesn't, be prepared in like manner to give liberally to others anyway, as He gives us enough day by day. 

But what to ask for then and where to draw the line?

It's easy enough to clasp our hands together in our living room and pray for a new house or whatever, but would we really ask such a thing if actually stood before His throne as it is described in Ezekiel 1?  Wouldn't we be ashamed to ask for some things that we casually do in the comfort our living room? 

For those things you would still be bold enough to ask Him if stood before His throne, then ask away in your living room - and believe without doubt that He will answer.  Trust and He will see it done, I'm very sure of it!  But as for the things you wouldn't dare ask if Messiah or ask the Almighty Creator at the foot of His throne, then don't ask for them either in your living room. The prayer will not be answered, in all likeliness. 

At least, that's how I understand it. I hope it gives you some ideas to consider. 

Love & Shalom 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

1 hour ago, CaptWalker said:

And i have heard that it must first be in His will, but why doesn't it say that?? Is this some kind of test that God is using to see how some people will react or how much they actually expect God to do for them? As opposed to those who are simply too humble to ask for that much...at least not for themselves.  

First, let's read that in context, see below.  

Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father. And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.  If you ask anything in My name, I will do it.

Notice Jesus is talking with His disciples, not the world when He makes these statements, though we can apply them today in our personal walk with Him.  The key is "in Me".  Those who are in Him will ask only what is according to His will, so whatever they ask in His name will be done.  It surely does not mean they can ask for anything in the world and get it.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42

6 hours ago, CaptWalker said:

So the most important thing you need to do when reading anything, and especially the Bible, is learn the context.

John 14:12-14

Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

So what is the context?

Jesus is talking to his followers, saying:

whoever believes in me, will do the works that I have been doing.  And they will do even greater things than these.

Whoever asks in my name, I will do for you, so that the father may be glorified in the Son.

You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

So again... what is the context...?

The context is doing the works that Jesus did, and doing something that glorifies the Son, and he will do it.

So I think we can safely eliminate some things that this doesn't apply to.   From the most obvious, you can't pray that G-d will strike down your neighbor so you can marry his newly widowed wife.

Obvious.

Less obvious, I don't think you can really pray "Lord let me win the lottery, so I don't have to work anymore, and can be a lazy couch potatoe".

Don't think that really 'glorifies' the Son.

So that leads me back to my standard view of prayer, which is pray for everything.  But... be accepting of the answer.

G-d answers prayer in one of three ways.   Yes.  No.  Later.

Remember Paul the apostle, prayed to have his 'thorn in the flesh' removed, and G-d said no.  Pure and simple, G-d said no.

However, you should also know that any request you never make, will also not be answered.

Praying does not guarantee you a favorable answer, but not praying almost guarantees you an unfavorable answer.

If you never ask the girl to marry you, she'll never marry you.  If you never apply for a job, you'll never get a job.

And if you never ask the Lord in prayer, he'll never answer the prayers you never make.

Edited by LonerAndy

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  441
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  03/20/1970

Yeah these are some good thoughts and i was thinking along the same lines, and how all things are given according to His will. But what about those times when you are asking for only something very simple and even almost expect to receive it, but you never do? But I think the key really is being IN Him just as the disciples were. And seeking Him on a daily basis, praying without ceasing and acknowledging Him in all your ways. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

20 minutes ago, CaptWalker said:

Yeah these are some good thoughts and i was thinking along the same lines, and how all things are given according to His will. But what about those times when you are asking for only something very simple and even almost expect to receive it, but you never do? But I think the key really is being IN Him just as the disciples were. And seeking Him on a daily basis, praying without ceasing and acknowledging Him in all your ways. 

What can be so small it is not important to God?

You are correct, the key is to remain in Him so He will remain in you.  Then, anything you asked He will do. 

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

7 hours ago, CaptWalker said:

James said, ..."When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures."""

There is also the fact of the Foreknowledge of God, and the reality that God sees your heart, which is all related to that verse.

James would know that Jesus said.....>"According to your faith, be it done unto you"....... when he wrote that verse.

Consider also that Paul once prayed 3x, for something that was not out of God's will, yet God's answer was...."continue to deal with it, because this allows more of me to work through you".

Edited by Behold

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,008
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

Context is key;

Verily Verily, I say unto you, he that believes on me the works that I do shall he do also...

And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do John 14:12-14

Believing on Him, in the context of John, means believing and receiving the things He said; John 12:47-48.

And James said;

Ye ask and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it on your pleasures. James 4:3

And John;

Whatsoever we ask we receive of Him, because we keep His commands and do those things that are pleasing in His sight.

And this is His commandment, that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another as Jesus gave us commandment. 1 John 3:21-24

Therefore let us love one another in the way that Christ taught; Luke 6:27-49, and heed the words of His apostles; Acts 15:28-29 1 Thessalonians 4:2-3

• 3 weeks later...

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  211
  • Content Count:  1,463
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/23/1966

On 5/23/2020 at 3:56 AM, SONshine said:

The subject is you and I doing the Father’s work—the ministry of Jesus.

Indeed. Context. Shalom.

John 14:[10] Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
[11] Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.
[12] Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
[13] And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
[14] If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

John 20:[21] Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.
[22] And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

1 John 3:[8] He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

On 5/22/2020 at 11:55 AM, CaptWalker said:

In His Name means, "What would you ask God if you watched God watch you while you asked?"

Would I ask for vengeance and the life of my enemies In His Name? Or would His will conform my prayers over time, even as I prayed them?