Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,021
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,321
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

Just wondering if anyone likes certain show tunes?   Or has favorite musical movies.   I always loved the songs from My Fair Lady....I saw the movie as a teen.

Audrey Hepburn, who played Eliza Doolittle, didn't do her own singing in the movie.   The lady who actually did the singing had a tremendous voice.

I also enjoyed "I Dreamed a Dream" by Susan Boyle.   From Les Miserables.   This was the song that wowed the judges on Britain's Got Talent, and launched Susan to fame.

• Loved it! 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

2 hours ago, Debp said:

Just wondering if anyone likes certain show tunes?   Or has favorite musical movies.   I always loved the songs from My Fair Lady....I saw the movie as a teen.

One time a comedian was asked the question. Do you enjoy musicals? "Sure, they're fine. I like them okay. The only problem is all those songs that interrupt the main theme!" ~ Anonymous. 

I've enjoyed a number of them over the years. My sister and I often attended bargain price matinees on Saturday afternoon's at the local Fox Theater. Grand structure built for symphonies during the days before amplification was known. It was perfect for sound acoustically. In an upper loft was a 5 keyboard Wurlitzer organ. Here's some memorable ones we've seen as kids. 

The Unsinkable Molly Brown

Annie Get Your Gun 

Flower Drum Song

Bye Bye Birdie

The Music Man

Doctor Doolittle

Calamity Jane 

Paint Your Wagon

Mary Poppins 

The Sound Of Music 

Wizard Of Oz

Oklahoma 

Mame 

There's more of course... 

Were any of the Elvis movies considered musicals? 

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Loved it! 2

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  24,682
  • Content Per Day:  5.76
  • Days Won:  161
  • Birthday:  01/30/1985

there was a musical called Camelot with Vanessa Redgrave. I also remember Little Shop of Horrors which I always thought was quite funny

July Andrews and Carol Burnett did several special shows together where they sang things, some of which came from musical comedies

Some might know about Noel Coward (a very unfortunate name I must say). I haven't seen any of his shows in their entirety but I would like to one day.Julie Andrews played in a musical called Star! and also in  Thoroughly Modern Millie .

Andrew Lloyd Webber

Westside side story 

A star is born

Fiddler on the Roof (maybe my favourite)

I think there are more but I need to think a bit 

• Loved it! 2

Also I prefer the Anne Hathheway version of Les Misrables 

I need to add Mamma mia! 1 and 2 bothof which I thoroughly enjoyed 

• Loved it! 1

2 hours ago, Henry_iain said:

there was a musical called Camelot with Vanessa Redgrave. I also remember Little Shop of Horrors which I always thought was quite funny

July Andrews and Carol Burnett did several special shows together where they sang things, some of which came from musical comedies

Some might know about Noel Coward (a very unfortunate name I must say). I haven't seen any of his shows in their entirety but I would like to one day.Julie Andrews played in a musical called Star! and also in  Thoroughly Modern Millie .

Andrew Lloyd Webber

Westside side story 

A star is born

Fiddler on the Roof (maybe my favourite)

Great list of stuff here, bro. I also remember the Julie Andrew and Carol Burnett duos. Burnett and Lucille Ball are also two of Hollywood's classic comediennes. I enjoyed their "clean up lady" routine together and also the songs. :heart: 

2 hours ago, Henry_iain said:

I think there are more but I need to think a bit 

Always more here. This thread has good potential for much more. 

• Loved it! 1

24 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

Great list of stuff here, bro. I also remember the Julie Andrew and Carol Burnett duos. Burnett and Lucille Ball are also two of Hollywood's classic comediennes. I enjoyed their "clean up lady" routine together and also the songs.

Did you know that Carol Burnett once did a duet with none other than Dame Maggie Smith? (Now Smith, as great an actress as she is, can't sing to save her life but she makes good effort) and I think she might have done a duet with Angela Lansbury (who can sing)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  903
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

Speaking of Angela Lansbury, check out The Pirates of Penzance, with Kevin Kline, Linda Ronstadt, and Rex Smith. It's a hoot!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, John Robinson said:

Speaking of Angela Lansbury, check out The Pirates of Penzance, with Kevin Kline, Linda Ronstadt, and Rex Smith. It's a hoot!

I did see this. It was really wonderful! :D

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

I know this is pretty off topic. Hopefully, it's okay. Since a mention was made let me add this. I went to see Emmylou Harris and Linda Ronstadt in concert. The two of them did a trio album with Dolly Parton and it sounded angelic. Still, this was a real crowd pleaser of a performance. Emmylou and Linda were fabulous! When the band was introduced, She said the bass player was from Paul McCartney's group at that time. "I stole him for a while." was what she also commented. You can just be sure Sir Paul would insist on the best seeing what a terrific bassist he is. And it was a really great show.

I even got a hold of complimentary tickets!  1377079178_blinkysmiley.gif.99946039799f03234de55b75abbe0a74.gif

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 2

Anybody like Show tunes? Or musicals?

On 5/29/2020 at 7:21 AM, BeauJangles said:

Were any of the Elvis movies considered musicals? 

I just now finished watching yet another cheesy classic Elvis film on TCM = Turner Classics Movie Channel. Frankie and Johnny, co-starring the lovely Donna Douglas. (Ellie Mae Clampett - Beverly Hillbillies) Wow, was the plot and songs ever horrible! Then again, weren't they all? The costumes were classy, but that was all that was classic about this bomb. Why was the King of Rock 'n' Roll given such awful scripts and songs to work with? He was a great performer and singer, but acting wasn't exactly his forte. Jailhouse Rock was pretty good though. So, were Elvis movies considered musicals? Just curious. 

1. Frankie and Johnny is a 1966 American musical film starring Elvis Presley as a riverboat gambler. The role of "Frankie" was played by Donna Douglas from The Beverly Hillbillies TV series. The film reached #40 on the Variety weekly national box office list for 1966. The budget of the film was estimated at $4.5 million.
    1752847616_untitled(29).png.62308b91583c99c3aea18b4b69753ade.png 
       Frankie and Johnny 

• Loved it! 1