IGNORED

World's Most Popular Christian Band?

Ovedya

Nebula...I hope you know that my remarks weren't addressed to you specifically.

I once saw the VH1 special on them and it was amazing....

The drummer, guitarist, and singer all got saved at a place called Shalom Fellowship in Dublin right after they had recorded their first album but before they toured America.

They had a huge hit with "2 Hearts Beat As One" but instead of living the party life of a rock band, they were having Bible studies on their bus. The manager and bass player would go out partying but the rest of them stayed clean.

The bass player is not a believer...or at least he wasn't last I heard.

It almost broke the band up when they wanted to replace him with a christian but the drummer threatened to go if they did that because he felt that the Lord had put him there for a reason.

Fascinating story.

Why wouldn't God do something like this? The greatest rock band in the world are christians. They may not look like the christians in your average Baptist church but that is why they are able to influence soooooo many more people using the world's systems.

I'd hate to be under the kind of scrutiny they are under though....

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Well, what I heard was that they did claim Christianity in the beginning, but some time later, Bono at least claimed to reject Christianity. (Maybe in different words, but that's the gist.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe the context of those remarks were directed at the "religion" of christianity.

I saw an interview with him about a year ago and he seemed more committed than ever. He doesn't speak christianese very well though.

Bono just played the major role in helping millions of the poor in Africa. Why do you think he did it?

The Joshua Tree album was extremely instrumental in drawing me to the Lord. I was listening to "One Tree Hill" at the moment when I asked the Lord into my life.

Don't think God isn't using them. Somehow He uses all of us, too...and we don't have any idea of the temptation they must face.

Pray for them or throw the first stone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen. That was awesome, brother!

Now that I think about it, after I first received the Lord I came to appreciate the deeper meaning in the Joshua Tree album. "Bullet the Blue Sky" is still one of my favs from that CD.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  665
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  10/10/1978

Could it be that U2 is the world's most popular Christian band, and no one knows it?

Check out the following link I came across this morning: http://www.atu2.com/lyrics/biblerefs.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tho i have known for many years that U2 claim to be "Christians" (well at least i know Bono does)...But i have witnessed alot of questianable behaviour from all of them...another Question that i would have to ask is that:

'If U2 are supposed to be Christians, why does it seem to be the world's best kept secret???'

If no one knows that they are Christians, how Christian r they???

:rofl:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  2,065
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/03/1958

And finally fifth, they're still over rated.

:rofl::rofl:

I have to agree with that. they have some songs I liked up to Joshua tree and then...........

I too think they are way over rated.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  311
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Could it be that U2 is the world's most popular Christian band, and no one knows it?

Check out the following link I came across this morning: http://www.atu2.com/lyrics/biblerefs.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tho i have known for many years that U2 claim to be "Christians" (well at least i know Bono does)...But i have witnessed alot of questianable behaviour from all of them...another Question that i would have to ask is that:

'If U2 are supposed to be Christians, why does it seem to be the world's best kept secret???'

:rofl:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

this i would have to agree with. Christians are suppose to be a shining light, and if that were the case everyone would know they were Christians.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

:b:

Why wouldn't God do something like this? The greatest rock band in the world are christians. They may not look like the christians in your average Baptist church but that is why they are able to influence soooooo many more people using the world's systems.

What makes them the greatest rock band? The redundant echo/ feedback sound that they have in almost every song? Bono hangs with Bill Gates. What kind of influence do you think he has on Bono? Gates, the worlds cyber dictator tutoring "The worlds best rock band" :) on how to take over the world subtly.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

World's greatest rock band? U2 can't even compete with the Beatles or the Four Seasons either one IMO!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

I don't like U2 and I don't like Bono. I personally believe he really likes the limelight more than he likes being a light.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

Wow, this is quickly turning into another Jessica Simpson topic..where ppl have gone from discussing a person's behavior to questioning their hearts. Wow.

First of all, here are some various articles from Christianity Today regarding U2 and/or Bono:

Article One

Article Two

Article Three

I wouldn't say it's a "secret", I think that U2 doesn't fit into the westernized ideal of what a "Christian Band" should look like. In Ireland it's not uncommon for pastor's to drink, smoke and use foul language, their culture is far different from ours. However, this type of behavior is uncomfortable for western believers, who frankly are very quick to judge a person's spirituality based on a very narrow criteria.

Bono hangs with Bill Gates. What kind of influence do you think he has on Bono?

And Jesus hung out with sinners. What type of influence do you think Bono might have on someone like Bill Gates? What's wrong with befriending someone rich and powerful? Have you read the story of Nehemiah and how God used his relationship with the King to fund God's purposes?

You obviously are unaware of Bono's reputation for his humanitarian efforts (see links above). He's been quoted as saying, "I know we make a lot of money, but I don't want to see it." (quoted in the book "Walk On" which was written by a friend of theirs who documented the band's spiritual journey). Regarding money, I believe Bono also founded an organization (i think it's called DATA) who's goal is to fight the AIDS epidemic in Africa. He puts his money where his mouth is, which is more than I can say for many American christians.

I don't like U2 and I don't like Bono. I personally believe he really likes the limelight more than he likes being a light.

How can you know his heart?

I think people need to be more careful about passing judgment, especially in regards to something/someone they aren't well informed about. Many people in this topic alone have made assumptions and statements based on heresay and misinformation, without even studying the band or the individuals themselves. How would you like to live under the scrutiny that these guys live under? I think under the circumstances they have done a great job at maintaining not only musical influence, but also a positive compassionate influence regarding the needs of the world.

Just because they don't fit into your americanized view of christianity, don't underestimate their potential or what God can do (and has done) through them. As believers, we should be blessing what they do and praying for them...not criticizing their every move and pretending to know their motives. Where is our grace?

Here's the lyrics to their song "Grace" which was supposedly inspired by a Philip Yancey book.

Grace

Grace, she takes the blame

She covers the shame

Removes the stain

It could be her name

Grace, it's the name for a girl

It's also a thought that changed the world

And when she walks on the street

You can hear the strings

Grace finds goodness in everything

Grace, she's got the walk

Not on a ramp or on chalk

She's got the time to talk

She travels outside of karma

She travels outside of karma

When she goes to work

You can hear her strings

Grace finds beauty in everything

Grace, she carries a world on her hips

No champagne flute for her lips

No twirls or skips between her fingertips

She carries a pearl in perfect condition

What once was hurt

What once was friction

What left a mark

No longer stings

Because Grace makes beauty

Out of ugly things

Grace makes beauty out of ugly things

World's greatest rock band?  U2 can't even compete with the Beatles or the Four Seasons either one IMO!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not that big a fan of U2's music since the early 90s. I did buy Vertigo but it only has a song or two on it that are worth listening to, imo.

That "greatest rock band in the world today" comment is regarding record sales of bands still making new records today.

The fans have voted with their money.

Where are the Beatles today? Do the Stones have a new record?

The Four Seasons? Are you kidding me? Frankie Vali couldn't sing his way out of a paper sack. Blechhhh!!!

And too many of us are judging by outward appearance. Ya'll just keep throwing stones...