• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

Does the Holy Spirit have free will?

I'm guessing there may be a fair bit of reasoning in any answer but please try to include biblical references to back up your thoughts.

• Huh?  I don't get it. 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  211
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,463
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/23/1966

1 hour ago, Mike 2 said:

Not sure if you are seriously asking this. :huh:

Obviously so. He is YHWH. Shalom.

1 John 5:[7] For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

Genesis 1:[2] And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Genesis 1:[26] And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Edited by branchesofHim

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, Mike 2 said:

I'm guessing there may be a fair bit of reasoning in any answer but please try to include biblical references to back up your thoughts.

The Holy Spirit, by his own initiative determines what spiritual gifts Christians have.  [1 Corinthians 12:1-11 specifically verse 11].

That's what came to my mind.

Of course He has a free will.  He, along with the Father and Christ are God.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  211
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,463
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/23/1966

Amen to this. Shalom.

We will never grow nor change nor be effective as Christians until we consume from the Bible - daily, in my opinion.  Find a Bible you can read with understanding and is reputable. No, not all are reputable.  Read from it frequently.  Read, memorize, study, and meditate.  That's what God says to do with his Word. - Jayne

Thanks for your response.

BranchesofHim, I am serious with my question because I see verses like this :

Joh 16:13  When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.

15:26  “But when the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness about me.

Jayne brings up  1 Corinthians 12:1-11 specifically verse 11 I look at verse 8 For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit,

I can find other verses that indicate that the Holy Spirit does not act independently because as branchesofHim has indicated the Holy Spirit, together with the Father and Son work as God. Within that though, does the Holy Spirit have free will, or as is indicated in Joh 16:13, do whatever he hears or speaks as part of the perfect unity within God.

Does the Holy Spirit have the potential / ability to communicate to the Son (and us as sons/ daughters) other than what he hears? (Joh 16:13)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,191
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

God existing as One in essence and three in Persons, Father, Son , Holy Spirit, ‘IS’ the only of His Kind and we as all else with beginning have been began by Him... as no boundary exist in His infinite exist He ‘IS’ truly free In all regards to being without end or begin perhaps thought as boundaries for God ‘IS’ Spirit.... In our every thought and motif we carry the finite of beginning and because of fall and curse we have end and only the born again, that which is born of Spirit, can carry the notion of infinite as we are made able in s/Spirit to accept the Word of God as the ‘IS’ outside of the demands of the dead self we were born with... 

1 hour ago, Mike 2 said:

Joh 16:13  When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.

The Holy Spirits mission is to present The Living Christ to the hearts of those He has regenerated through the process of sanctification by use of the written Word... we actually join the light of life in Jesus and it is no longer fixed upon this death we were born in...

1 hour ago, Mike 2 said:

5:26  “But when the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness about me.

The heart that is able to give up all that they have began in for that which is expressed in written Word promised is the transformation from death into life... this faith generated by God’s Word is the vehicle that will transport us s/Spiritually from this place of death to His Presence of Life... the witness of God’s Spirit is so complete in truth we cannot go back to the lies for there is no substance for us to desire... oh maybe while in this flesh we may desire the pleasures of sin but not without sorrows and repentance if we do; resulting in a renewed commitment of dying to the things of flesh and living in the Glories of Loving God through obedience...

1 hour ago, Mike 2 said:

Does the Holy Spirit have the potential / ability to communicate to the Son (and us as sons/ daughters) other than what he hears? (Joh 16:13)

The understanding of your query, I may be wrong, is you wonder The Persons of God have individuality to the point of Self actualization...
I think in God’s Word this is best answered here:
John 14:9-13 (KJV)
[9] Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
[10] Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
[11] Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.
[12] Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
[13] And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

Matthew 26:39 (KJV)
[39] And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

As we, in these passages, can glean this understanding: The will of The Father and The will of The Son are one of sameness... yet when it was time for The Son to bear the sins of the world upon His Own Self the reality of loosing oneness of righteousness is reflected in the Son’s desire of letting the cup pass from Him >YET< the righteousness remaining by removing His Will to that of The Father’s that we might have life in The Son ... 1Cor 13 is so wonderfully viewed in this instance from the garden to death on the cross that it should convert all hearts to that of God’s Blessed Persons of Glory but alas it does not ....

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, enoob57 said:
3 hours ago, Mike 2 said:

The understanding of your query, I may be wrong, is you wonder The Persons of God have individuality to the point of Self actualization...
I think in God’s Word this is best answered here:
John 14:9-13 (KJV)
[9] Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
[10] Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
[11] Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.
[12] Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
[13] And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

Matthew 26:39 (KJV)
[39] And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

As we, in these passages, can glean this understanding: The will of The Father and The will of The Son are one of sameness... yet when it was time for The Son to bear the sins of the world upon His Own Self the reality of loosing oneness of righteousness is reflected in the Son’s desire of letting the cup pass from Him >YET< the righteousness remaining by removing His Will to that of The Father’s that we might have life in The Son ... 1Cor 13 is so wonderfully viewed in this instance from the garden to death on the cross that it should convert all hearts to that of God’s Blessed Persons of Glory but alas it does not

I see in this and accept that the Son has his own will and that He chooses to do the will of the Father.

But what about the Holy Spirit in the matter. I understand the Holy Spirit to be that part of God that reveals the thoughts of the Father

1Co 2:10  these things God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God. 
1Co 2:11  For who knows a person's thoughts except the spirit of that person, which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.  

Paul goes on to say...1Co 2:12  Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God.   These verses seem to indicate that the Holy Spirit understands the... thoughts of God..even the depths of God.. then shares those with us. Does the Holy Spirit have the free will to tell us something other than what the thoughts of God are?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.55
  • Days Won:  12

17 hours ago, Mike 2 said:

Define "free will".  Since there are several definitions of this term, the answer to your question depends upon which one you intend.

9 hours ago, Mike 2 said:

I see in this and accept that the Son has his own will and that He chooses to do the will of the Father.

But what about the Holy Spirit in the matter. I understand the Holy Spirit to be that part of God that reveals the thoughts of the Father

1Co 2:10  these things God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God. 
1Co 2:11  For who knows a person's thoughts except the spirit of that person, which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.  

Paul goes on to say...1Co 2:12  Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God.   These verses seem to indicate that the Holy Spirit understands the... thoughts of God..even the depths of God.. then shares those with us. Does the Holy Spirit have the free will to tell us something other than what the thoughts of God are?

Because of the unity of oneness the wills are without conflict The Fathers Will is The Will...