IGNORED

Are you nice and comfy in your Christian life?

OneLight

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

When you read about the words Jesus spoke to the church in Laodicea (Revelation 3:14-22), what do you think He meant when he spoke about being rich, wealthy, and in need of nothing?

“And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write,

‘These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God: “I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot.  So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.  Because you say, ‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’—and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked— I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see.  As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten.  Therefore be zealous and repent.  Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.  To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.

“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” ’ ”

The words "rich", "wealthy" and "in need of nothing" need to be explored as on the surface one would thing it was speaking about worldly goods and wealth they possessed, so they are not in want for anything.  But, is there a different meaning we need to be concerned with?  Lets look a little deeper at the meanings of these words.

rich G4145 πλούσιος plousios

1. wealthy, abounding in material resources
  2. metaph. abounding, abundantly supplied
    1. abounding (rich) in Christian virtues and eternal possessions

Notice when speaking metaphorically, we can see it includes Christian virtues and eternal possessions, not worldly possessions.

wealthy (KJ says increased with goods) G4147 πλουτέω plouteō

1. to be rich, to have abundance
    1. of outward possessions
  2. metaph. to be richly supplied
    1. is affluent in resources so that he can give blessings of salvation to all

Again, notice the metaphorical definition, being richly supplied =in resources so that they can give blessings of salvation to all.

in need of nothing G3762 οὐδείς oudeis

1. no one, nothing

This is the simplest of all as it literately means no one, no man, no person.

Jesus, speaking metaphorically to the church, opens up a whole different view of what He is speaking of by doing so.  When you apply the correct meanings we can see why the church is considered lukewarm and about to be vomited out of His mouth.  By His words we can see how dangerous it is to think we have all we need; all the virtue and rewards, being able to lead anyone to salvation, in other words, thinking we need nothing else in life, we have all the correct understanding and faith.  I see His words of a strong encouragement to press in, continue to study and learn, continue to grow in Him, to become more like Jesus in all humility.  There is nothing I can think of that would be worse than to be vomited out of Jesus, no longer being part of Him due to pride and haughtiness.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.51
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

I wish to be a pleasure to my Father in all that I say or do. Two things help me in this life long pursuit. My love for Him and thankfulness for my Salvation and His Fatherly discipline that has 'reminded' me of the first from time to time.

These things relate to my 'effort' side of things, which is an integral part of my existence while still in this flawed earthen vessel.

The eternal side of the equation is what God has accomplished for me, aside from my efforts. That eternal side, which He accomplished because I had not hope of doing so, I am very comfortable with, for my life is hidden with Christ in God.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  578
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  0

10 minutes ago, OneLight said:

There is nothing I can think of that would be worse than to be vomited out of Jesus, no longer being part of Him due to pride and haughtiness.

While you're correct that this is a strong exhortation against contentedness, here is where you grievously err. You assume that to be (figuratively) vomited out of His mouth equates to loss of eternal salvation. However, because the gospel itself is the gospel of eternal salvation in Him, which cannot be revoked, you negate the gospel with a message such as you've presented here. Rather, Jesus is speaking about chastening, because He will not go against His words concerning His covenant.

2 Samuel 7:14-16:

14 I will be his father, and he shall be my son. If he commit iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men, and with the stripes of the children of men:

15 But my mercy shall not depart away from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away before thee.

16 And thine house and thy kingdom shall be established for ever before thee: thy throne shall be established for ever.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Alive said:

I wish to be a pleasure to my Father in all that I say or do. Two things help me in this life long pursuit. My love for Him and thankfulness for my Salvation and His Fatherly discipline that has 'reminded' me of the first from time to time.

These things relate to my 'effort' side of things, which is an integral part of my existence while still in this flawed earthen vessel.

The eternal side of the equation is what God has accomplished for me, aside from my efforts. That eternal side, which He accomplished because I had not hope of doing so, I am very comfortable with, for my life is hidden with Christ in God.

Your heart is in the right place, but not all hearts are like yours, Brother.  While our part and His part are the fullness of the relationship we have in Christ, they cannot be separated, no more than what you and your wife do in a marriage.  What is done by either side affects the relationship.   As I said before, you seem to be the encouraging voice while I will be the watchman on the wall, warning people of danger.

1 hour ago, Don19 said:

While you're correct that this is a strong exhortation against contentedness, here is where you grievously err. You assume that to be (figuratively) vomited out of His mouth equates to loss of eternal salvation. However, because the gospel itself is the gospel of eternal salvation in Him, which cannot be revoked, you negate the gospel with a message such as you've presented here. Rather, Jesus is speaking about chastening, because He will not go against His words concerning His covenant.

2 Samuel 7:14-16:

14 I will be his father, and he shall be my son. If he commit iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men, and with the stripes of the children of men:

15 But my mercy shall not depart away from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away before thee.

16 And thine house and thy kingdom shall be established for ever before thee: thy throne shall be established for ever.

There is no erring in my words.  What I gave as an explanation needed no deeper explaining.  As you read Revelation 2 & 3, you will notice more than once how Christ will come against those who do not repent.  You can even see this in the parables Jesus spoke.  You seem to think God does not change His mind.  He has, and He will if He so chooses.  Being vomited out of Christ is just what it sounds like, no longer being in Him.  The danger is when people reject the fact that they can turn far enough from God they are no longer in Him.

8 minutes ago, OneLight said:

Your heart is in the right place, but not all hearts are like yours, Brother.  While our part and His part are the fullness of the relationship we have in Christ, they cannot be separated, no more than what you and your wife do in a marriage.  What is done by either side affects the relationship.   As I said before, you seem to be the encouraging voice while I will be the watchman on the wall, warning people of danger.

God bless you, dear brother. My sibling. We do not currently agree on our common salvation, but there is yet hope.

;-)

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  578
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  0

18 minutes ago, OneLight said:

There is no erring in my words.  What I gave as an explanation needed no deeper explaining.  As you read Revelation 2 & 3, you will notice more than once how Christ will come against those who do not repent.  You can even see this in the parables Jesus spoke.  You seem to think God does not change His mind.  He has, and He will if He so chooses.  Being vomited out of Christ is just what it sounds like, no longer being in Him.  The danger is when people reject the fact that they can turn far enough from God they are no longer in Him.

God does not change His mind!

Romans 11:29:

29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.

22 minutes ago, Alive said:

God bless you, dear brother. My sibling. We do not currently agree on our common salvation, but there is yet hope.

;-)

If you would just pay attention, you would find that we agree much more than you think.  In that, I have hope, that you would really look at what I say instead of seeing a wall.

God Bless Brother.

Just now, OneLight said:

If you would just pay attention, you would find that we agree much more than you think.  In that, I have hope, that you would really look at what I say instead of seeing a wall.

God Bless Brother.

Yup--I have considered these things. I have really looked and I get it. I do not see a wall. I see a difference of understanding and I am not being the least critical.

I am pretty sure you know this and I suspect you have looked at my discussion with an equal amount of consideration.

8 minutes ago, Don19 said:

God does not change His mind!

Romans 11:29:

29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.

You really should do your research before making such statements.

Exodus 32:14  (NASB)

14 So the Lord changed His mind about the harm which He said He would do to His people.

Jeremiah 26:19 (NASB)

19 Did Hezekiah king of Judah and all Judah put him to death? Did he not fear the Lord and entreat the favor of the Lord, and the Lord changed His mind about the misfortune which He had pronounced against them? But we are committing a great evil against ourselves.”

Amos 7:3

The Lord changed His mind about this.
“It shall not be,” said the Lord.

Amos 7:6

The Lord changed His mind about this.
“This too shall not be,” said the Lord God.

Jonah 3:9-10

Who knows, God may turn and relent and withdraw His burning anger so that we will not perish.  When God saw their deeds, that they turned from their wicked way, then God relented concerning the calamity which He had declared He would bring upon them. And He did not do it.

Jeremiah 18:8

if that nation against which I have spoken turns from its evil, I will relent concerning the calamity I planned to bring on it.

Jeremiah 26:3

Perhaps they will listen and everyone will turn from his evil way, that I may repent of the calamity which I am planning to do to them because of the evil of their deeds.

Jeremiah 26:13

Now therefore amend your ways and your deeds and obey the voice of the Lord your God; and the Lord will change His mind about the misfortune which He has pronounced against you.

Jeremiah 42:10

If you will indeed stay in this land, then I will build you up and not tear you down, and I will plant you and not uproot you; for I will relent concerning the calamity that I have inflicted on you.

2 Samuel 24:16

When the angel stretched out his hand toward Jerusalem to destroy it, the Lord relented from the calamity and said to the angel who destroyed the people, “It is enough! Now relax your hand!” And the angel of the Lord was by the threshing floor of Araunah the Jebusite.

Jeremiah 18:10

if it does evil in My sight by not obeying My voice, then I will think better of the good with which I had promised to bless it.

Ezekiel 7:22

I will also turn My face from them, and they will profane My secret place; then robbers will enter and profane it.

• Thumbs Up 1