Need advice...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  154
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

...I have a difficult decision I need to make regarding my job. There is a problem and I need to tell my boss. I need advice on this because, telling my boss is complicated because I have this feeling that they are somehow involved. How am I to talk to someone whom I believe to be part of the problem?

• Praying! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

5 minutes ago, love child said:

...I have a difficult decision I need to make regarding my job.

Hi -love-child

If you are in a small group of employees, having to deal personally with your supervisor can be a struggle. When there is no one in charge of personnel or risk management, it is a disadvantage. I was fortunate in this aspect, but you may not have this as a resource. Only my first job working as a food server was as you describe. If the boss is the problem, resolving the issue is more complicated. Would there be a corporate head or regional manager to refer to? 

God bless, 

David/BeauJangles 

• Praise God! 1

Beau, God bless you for responding. There is a top boss, but I don't know who he is. It can be complicated to reach this person as I would have to go through my boss to get his information. I just don't know what to do?

• Praying! 1

23 minutes ago, love child said:

I just don't know what to do?

Usually a personnel or risk management department handles issues between supervisors and employees. I'm hoping there may be someone as a 'go between' that you can refer to. I'm thinking perhaps another boss or manager that is available to turn to. If this isn't the case, all we can do is intercede and daily bring these concerns to the Lord. Pray that you can get along with the supervisor and be a confidant or pal.  

I was in a tight bind with my last immediate supervisor also. She was an alcoholic and the next department manager and she were pretty good friends. That was tough on me because I hadn't an alternate to go to either. I'm praying for you, sister. It's probably a very complicated situation you're in. Praying on the way to work seemed to help tremendously. Taking time to pray during my schedule was also an advantage. I know it must be very hard.   

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Praise God! 1

Beau, my brother, I feel like crying. It's very complicated. There is no middle man. I take it to God, but I know, I am not meant to go at it alone. Thank you for praying. Really need it.

• Praying! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42

35 minutes ago, love child said:

...I have a difficult decision I need to make regarding my job. There is a problem and I need to tell my boss. I need advice on this because, telling my boss is complicated because I have this feeling that they are somehow involved. How am I to talk to someone whom I believe to be part of the problem?

So I've had this problem numerous times before.

You have left very little information, so there are a number of questions I would ask before doing anything.

1.  Are you in a position to say anything?

Meaning, is it your job to alert management to problems, or is our job to simply do what is expected of you?

This is important, because if you are not in a position to say "this is not work", and you make yourself a target, nothing good will come of it.   They will simply assume the problem is you, and work to replace you, and won't fix the issue.

2.  Do you have the kind of relationship, and is your manager the kind of manager, that they will be open to hearing this issue?

If the manage is not open to hearing the problem, it doesn't matter what you say, because they don't want to hear it.   And if your manager and you, are not on good working terms, then it won't work.

3.  Is this a problem that is your concern?

I have made this mistake, and gotten involved in something, that while it was a problem, it simply wasn't my issue.  If it really isn't your concern, I would leave it alone.

So I'm going to be open and honest with you, most of the time, I've found that saying something has negative results.  That's normal.   Especially if the people you are telling, are involved in the problem.   You need to be, at best, prepared for things to get uncomfortable at work, and at worst, find another job.

And if you are absolutely not willing to lose your job over this, then you shouldn't say anything.

Again though, the exception is if this is your job.  If your job is to find and fix problems, then you need to just do your job, and report the issues you are seeing.  I have a relative, and his entire job is to go to company locations, and research how things are operating and report problems, and possible solutions.

If your job is in that area, then simply report what you find.

As for dealing with your boss, I would just keep the kid-gloves on.  Think carefully about how you phrase your statements so that you are saying "Action X" is a problem, not "You did X, and that's a problem". 

Hope that helps.

• Praise God! 1

LonerAndy, I can't say much. But I will say this: no, I am not the problem, been there 14yrs. I am a supervisor, it is my job to report my findings. It is my concern because it ( the actions), are directed towards me. Just can't say more. But thanks for your honesty.

3 minutes ago, love child said:

Beau, my brother, I feel like crying. It's very complicated. There is no middle man. I take it to God, but I know, I am not meant to go at it alone. Thank you for praying. Really need it.

You're most welcome, dear. I'll be honest in saying this. There were times my boss had me in such an emotional state of turmoil, many tears were shed over the pressure and strain. Prayer was the only way to get through day to day. This went on four long years until I finally retired. You're probably nowhere near the age to opt out at this time. The only other alternative would be to seek employment elsewhere. Give thought for other possible job opportunities. Hopefully, something will turn the tide for you. 

• Praise God! 1

Brother Beau, thank you so much for coming to my aid. Seeking employment elsewhere has long since been on the top of my list...have tried to leave several times. What I'm dealing with in this day and time, is different. Have never had to deal with such and am not sure of what to do? I will just continue to pray and seek God. I just don't know what else to do?

• Praying! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

47 minutes ago, love child said:

This very thing happened to me. I knew this was not a good situation, but I felt there was only one choice: confront him. Sometimes being very direct and very honest after a lot of prayer to the Lord is all one can be. There literally is no one left to go to but God. I made an appointment to see him. When we were alone, I laid out what i felt was happening with any evidence to corroborate my story. I told him I very much enjoyed doing my job there but could not work under false pretenses. But beneath all of what I said, I knew i could not bluff, and I had to be willing to accept the consequences of being let go. That will be a major stumbling block if you have not counted the cost. He knew I was dead serious. Later that afternoon, he took me aside to apologize if I felt that way and would work at restoring the good I felt toward the company.  I accepted his round about way of apologizing since he was not a Christian and we worked together productively afterward. Regardless of how it turns out, God delights in us doing the righteous thing, and it may be God's decision to remove you for something He has greater in mind. Best to you in this struggle.

• Praise God! 1