• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Days Won:  0

43 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

I'm a curious Kiwi. I know our American friends have a vocabulary distinctly their own at times but I would like more detail as to why one would need to specifically reference "over-the-road trucking"? Is there a possibility of confusion with "off-road trucking" that makes a distinction necessary?

I've heard of "interstate trucking", "outback trucking", "ice-road trucking", and "long-haul trucking", but not heard mention of "over-the-road trucking" before.

Specifically as it relates to American trucking.

Short haul, would be such as in the city.  So in Columbus Ohio, I would drive only to locations round or near Columbus. So while you may not have an exact fixed route for pick up or delivery, you do have a fixed general location, being the city you are in.

Dedicated route driving, can be long haul, but you are on a dedicated route, where you have a fixed point A pickup to fixed point B drop off, and back to point A.

Typically these are day-runs, meaning you finish that route in that day, and sleep at home at night.

But there are dedicated routes that it takes you a day to get there, and a day to get back.

OTR, or Over The Road, is phrase for people who have no fixed route, or fixed location.  It means going anywhere, to deliver anywhere.

I have no idea where that phrase came from, except that you are always out 'over the road'.

You have no home base.  You have no fixed area.  You have no idea where you will be spending the night.  Or where you will be next week, or even in the next day.

When I was driving, my first run was to Maine, which is 14 hours from Ohio, and then to Oregon, which was a 47 hour drive, then down to California which was 10 hours, and then to Tennessee which was 32 hours.  And keep in mind we had to stop to sleep, and to gas up, and to deliver goods, and pick up goods, and so on.

So that was a month or more.   But the point is, at the end of each 'day' since you were driving at night too... you had no idea where after you dropped off the current load, where you would pick up the next load, or where that load was going.   Thus you had no idea if you were going north, or south, east or west, and you never really knew where you were going to stop for the night.

That is what OTR is in America.  You are always 'over the road'.  Never at home for the night, unless after months, you happen to get a load going to the city where you live, and then you can spend a night in your own bed.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  244
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,016
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

2 hours ago, LonerAndy said:

Specifically as it relates to American trucking.

Short haul, would be such as in the city.  So in Columbus Ohio, I would drive only to locations round or near Columbus. So while you may not have an exact fixed route for pick up or delivery, you do have a fixed general location, being the city you are in.

Dedicated route driving, can be long haul, but you are on a dedicated route, where you have a fixed point A pickup to fixed point B drop off, and back to point A.

Typically these are day-runs, meaning you finish that route in that day, and sleep at home at night.

But there are dedicated routes that it takes you a day to get there, and a day to get back.

OTR, or Over The Road, is phrase for people who have no fixed route, or fixed location.  It means going anywhere, to deliver anywhere.

I have no idea where that phrase came from, except that you are always out 'over the road'.

You have no home base.  You have no fixed area.  You have no idea where you will be spending the night.  Or where you will be next week, or even in the next day.

When I was driving, my first run was to Maine, which is 14 hours from Ohio, and then to Oregon, which was a 47 hour drive, then down to California which was 10 hours, and then to Tennessee which was 32 hours.  And keep in mind we had to stop to sleep, and to gas up, and to deliver goods, and pick up goods, and so on.

So that was a month or more.   But the point is, at the end of each 'day' since you were driving at night too... you had no idea where after you dropped off the current load, where you would pick up the next load, or where that load was going.   Thus you had no idea if you were going north, or south, east or west, and you never really knew where you were going to stop for the night.

That is what OTR is in America.  You are always 'over the road'.  Never at home for the night, unless after months, you happen to get a load going to the city where you live, and then you can spend a night in your own bed.

Very well explained, Andy. Makes good sense. What a life though!

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

8 hours ago, LonerAndy said:

ooooo tough tough.

So I'm 43, and have no friends at all.

Additionally I did in fact do over-the-road trucking for a few months until I fell asleep at the wheel of a truck doing 65, and promptly ended my barely started career.

So, I know enough about over-the-road trucking to say this...  It will be extremely difficult for you to have any real good friends as a OTR driver.   Honestly, that's just the truth sir.

Now there are some Trucker Churches.  I don't know where they are anymore, but there used to be a network of churches at trucker stops in every single state.   They usually were converted trailers, and they would have little sermons and singing, right at the Truck stops on Saturday and Sunday.

I don't know if they do that anymore, but I assume they do.

Outside of that...

Maybe it's time to do dedicated hauls.  Go get a job at Honda Marysville Ohio, and do dedicated runs to Canada and back every day.   Then you can have some established free time to join a bowling club, or a Charity, or a ministry on one of your days off, and meet some Christian people that way.

Do something where you are active in helping or a club activity, whatever it might be.

But as long as you are OTR, I gotta tell you, it will be hard.  It just is.  I know the feeling you have, when you have absolutely no idea where you will be, even just one week later.  You could be East Coast, West Coast, North border, south border, and you have no idea.

Hard to have even the smallest of social lives, when you have zero predictability.

And maybe it's time to even hang up the keys completely.  Maybe it's time that G-d wants you on a different career path.  It's possible.  Keep an open mind.

But the best I can suggest is that if you really want to do something with Christian people, other than those Truck Stop churches (if you can find them now), would be to ask for a dedicated run.

Just for giggles, I looked up dedicated run here in Ohio.  There is one from Grove City OH to Pittsburgh PA, $1,200 a week.  Saturday and Sunday off.

So something like that, would be your best bet if you want to stay in the drivers seat, and yet have some freedom to pursue time in a Christian charity or group.

Hope that helps.

Your totally right about a lot of what you just said. I’m starting with a new OTR company today too. Well I can always try and look while I’m here. Most of the best local and dedicated runs are going to be back East or Midwest living in Oregon not much industry here but there are local jobs here thanks for your help 

• Thumbs Up 1

I was thinking about this earlier this morning. I might need to make some sacrifices in my life if I want to have a relationship with anyone. Gosh I do feel so lost so if my post seem redundant I’ve been super emotional these last few days 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  542
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  33,008
  • Content Per Day:  5.05
  • Days Won:  235
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

this is the perfect place to feel lost and lonely and come for comfort and help :emot-hug:   :th_praying:

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, ladypeartree said:

this is the perfect place to feel lost and lonely and come for comfort and help :emot-hug:   :th_praying:

It does feel good to let’s some of this out...

12 hours ago, ChickenCoop said:

Amen. 

As @ladypeartree knows I had no family or friends until I joined this site.

These are now my family and friends @Tall_Paul.

What a kind comment ty...you know what I just noticed is your name lol chickencoop thats what us truckers call the scale house ?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42

On 7/7/2020 at 10:37 AM, Tall_Paul said:

I was thinking about this earlier this morning. I might need to make some sacrifices in my life if I want to have a relationship with anyone. Gosh I do feel so lost so if my post seem redundant I’ve been super emotional these last few days 

Generally speaking, man was not meant to be alone.  Now obviously don't toss yourself at other people, but you need to join a group somewhere, and just be apart of something bigger than yourself.  And if that means changing your job to do it, might be a good idea.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

Christ is the best friend anyone can have.