Friends???

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I know this question might sound crazy or even be ridiculous. But how do you find true friends in Christ? Like I'm going to try and articulate this the best way I know how. So I need to include some back story so it might give you insight on my question. I just recently made a decision to give my heart FULLY to Jesus, now I've asked him many times over the years but never opened the door all the way due to my own pride. I'm over 40 years old and for the last 25 years I have wasted in sin. Not reading the word, not walking with God, and praying??? Not at all....to be honest I don't think I EVER did any works of Christ...not a single one.

Making the decision to repent was not easy for me. I missed out on all the Love God had for me, all those years wasted. But you guys and gals know it's never to late right??? Reading my bible for the first time ever you tend to have questions. Finding brothers and sisters in Christ to help inspire and help uplift you in God, due to my profession as a truck driver I can't stop to attend church because I'm like in a new state every other day. I know some of you might say well find another profession that allows you the opportunity to attend church, but for some reason I know God wants me right where I'm at. I can't really explain it...it's just a feeling in my heart. Being all alone has taken a toll on me over the years not having anyone to talk too, Like if I don't count my Parents I have like 2 friends and both of them or non christian, I love to talk and when you don't have anyone that can listen or fellowship with I just lost all hope. I was so desperate for someone to talk to anyone!!! I was going to call a Christian suicide hotline just so I could just talk to someone. Sounds pretty pathetic huh???

I read two verses today that had me in tears I would like to share

Proverbs 18:24

“Some friends play at friendship but a true friend sticks closer than one’s nearest kin.”

John 15:13

“No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.”

I pray that before my time is up on this earth that God allows me this.....especially John 15:13

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.71

48 minutes ago, Tall_Paul said:

due to my profession as a truck driver I can't stop to attend church because I'm like in a new state every other day

Welcome to the forum.

I think it depends on your schedules and on how hard you have to/want to work.

Are you able to arrange your schedule so at least once a month you are where ever you call home on a Sunday.

That would enable you to attend church and to start getting to know people.

To talk to the pastor and see if there is a couple of guys who would be willing to call you/take a call so you could talk.

Are you able to download podcasts as there are plenty of Christian sermons, talks, debates available to listen to while you are traveling.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, Tall_Paul said:

I know this question might sound crazy or even be ridiculous. But how do you find true friends in Christ? Like I'm going to try and articulate this the best way I know how. So I need to include some back story so it might give you insight on my question. I just recently made a decision to give my heart FULLY to Jesus, now I've asked him many times over the years but never opened the door all the way due to my own pride. I'm over 40 years old and for the last 25 years I have wasted in sin. Not reading the word, not walking with God, and praying??? Not at all....to be honest I don't think I EVER did any works of Christ...not a single one.

Making the decision to repent was not easy for me. I missed out on all the Love God had for me, all those years wasted. But you guys and gals know it's never to late right??? Reading my bible for the first time ever you tend to have questions. Finding brothers and sisters in Christ to help inspire and help uplift you in God, due to my profession as a truck driver I can't stop to attend church because I'm like in a new state every other day. I know some of you might say well find another profession that allows you the opportunity to attend church, but for some reason I know God wants me right where I'm at. I can't really explain it...it's just a feeling in my heart. Being all alone has taken a toll on me over the years not having anyone to talk too, Like if I don't count my Parents I have like 2 friends and both of them or non christian, I love to talk and when you don't have anyone that can listen or fellowship with I just lost all hope. I was so desperate for someone to talk to anyone!!! I was going to call a Christian suicide hotline just so I could just talk to someone. Sounds pretty pathetic huh???

“Some friends play at friendship but a true friend sticks closer than one’s nearest kin.”

I pray that before my time is up on this earth that God allows me this.....especially John 15:13

First of all you must give this desire to have a Christian friend to God. Ask God to put a trusting and true Christian friend into your life. Do you attend a Church? That is a good place to find a Christian friend. 

44 minutes ago, Who me said:

Welcome to the forum.

I think it depends on your schedules and on how hard you have to/want to work.

Are you able to arrange your schedule so at least once a month you are where ever you call home on a Sunday.

That would enable you to attend church and to start getting to know people.

To talk to the pastor and see if there is a couple of guys who would be willing to call you/take a call so you could talk.

Are you able to download podcasts as there are plenty of Christian sermons, talks, debates available to listen to while you are traveling.

Thank you for the advice some times its hard to get back on a certain day, even if its once a month. I do now listen to as much sermons as I can on the road gives me plenty of time to spend with God when I'm out on the road.

25 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

First of all you must give this desire to have a Christian friend to God. Ask God to put a trusting and true Christian friend into your life. Do you attend a Church? That is a good place to find a Christian friend. 

Wow your so right!!!! gosh I never really though about it in this way...thank you

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

2 hours ago, Tall_Paul said:

I think it will be important to you to have at least two kinds of Christian friends:

1) People strong in Christ, who've walked closely with Jesus a long time

2) People with a very similar background, who've wasted a lot of time and will keep on this journey with you--and you with them--for accountability

I'm here if you need a friend to talk to offline.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.71

41 minutes ago, Tall_Paul said:

some times its hard to get back on a certain day, even if its once a month

It is still worth making contact with a church at your ' home ' and at any ' regulat' destination to get that Christian contact and the possibility of someone to talk to.

Thank you for everyone’s advice and insight I will do my best to find a church near home. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42

13 hours ago, Tall_Paul said:

ooooo tough tough.

So I'm 43, and have no friends at all.

Additionally I did in fact do over-the-road trucking for a few months until I fell asleep at the wheel of a truck doing 65, and promptly ended my barely started career.

So, I know enough about over-the-road trucking to say this...  It will be extremely difficult for you to have any real good friends as a OTR driver.   Honestly, that's just the truth sir.

Now there are some Trucker Churches.  I don't know where they are anymore, but there used to be a network of churches at trucker stops in every single state.   They usually were converted trailers, and they would have little sermons and singing, right at the Truck stops on Saturday and Sunday.

I don't know if they do that anymore, but I assume they do.

Outside of that...

Maybe it's time to do dedicated hauls.  Go get a job at Honda Marysville Ohio, and do dedicated runs to Canada and back every day.   Then you can have some established free time to join a bowling club, or a Charity, or a ministry on one of your days off, and meet some Christian people that way.

Do something where you are active in helping or a club activity, whatever it might be.

But as long as you are OTR, I gotta tell you, it will be hard.  It just is.  I know the feeling you have, when you have absolutely no idea where you will be, even just one week later.  You could be East Coast, West Coast, North border, south border, and you have no idea.

Hard to have even the smallest of social lives, when you have zero predictability.

And maybe it's time to even hang up the keys completely.  Maybe it's time that G-d wants you on a different career path.  It's possible.  Keep an open mind.

But the best I can suggest is that if you really want to do something with Christian people, other than those Truck Stop churches (if you can find them now), would be to ask for a dedicated run.

Just for giggles, I looked up dedicated run here in Ohio.  There is one from Grove City OH to Pittsburgh PA, $1,200 a week.  Saturday and Sunday off.

So something like that, would be your best bet if you want to stay in the drivers seat, and yet have some freedom to pursue time in a Christian charity or group.

Hope that helps.

Edited by LonerAndy

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  244
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,016
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 hour ago, LonerAndy said:

I did in fact do over-the-road trucking for a few months

I'm a curious Kiwi. I know our American friends have a vocabulary distinctly their own at times but I would like more detail as to why one would need to specifically reference "over-the-road trucking"? Is there a possibility of confusion with "off-road trucking" that makes a distinction necessary?

I've heard of "interstate trucking", "outback trucking", "ice-road trucking", and "long-haul trucking", but not heard mention of "over-the-road trucking" before.