IGNORED

Calvinism vs. Arminianism- Are we missing the boat?

Gideon

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  79
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,177
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1

The whole topic of Calvinism vs. Armenianism is, I believe, ultimately a smokescreen from the enemy. We are, by the authority of God's Word, to give all diligence to make our calling and election sure. We must beware grabbing hold of a doctrine to convince us of our salvation. Our assurance is meant to come from God Himself. Is that not wonderful? 

Our calling is not a call to get our doctrine right on who is saved and who is not. The point of this is ultimately a call to each individual believer to make sure THEY are saved, by God's hand unmistakenly  seen in their lives, as He assures us Himself that we are His sons or daughters.

"Therefore brethren, give diligence all the more to make your calling and election sure, for if ye do these things ye shall never fall.

2 Peter 1:10 

So the Bible tells us that giving all diligence is certainly a key piece of our being assured of our salvation. It is a clear exhortation to not assure ourselves that we are Heaven-bound  simply because we "feel" saved, or because we said the prayer of faith one day a long time ago. To each one of us, we have a God-given responsibility to examine ourselves whether we truly "be in the faith", which is expressed  by what God is doing in our lives, both in our relationship with Him as well as our relationship with this world and those who live in it. 

How important it is, especially in these uncertain times, to understand what God has spoken. 

A good tree WILL produce good fruit.

This is not a call to try harder to "be good" or to try our best to bear more fruit. We cannot do either. To see this done, we must learn the how of abiding in Him, for He is the potter, not us.  He alone can cause the transformation inside us. He is the husbandman, and our dependance must be on Him to sanctify us, and to make us His own.

Does this mean we can never be sure as to our eternal salvation? Not at all. There is total security to the believer, but belief was never meant to be a one time thing. It was meant to be a living lifeline to God through our abiding in Jesus.  Our faith is meant to grow as we grow up into Him in all things. So what must we do to be saved? We must believe ON Him, which is a moment-by-moment Christ-in-us relationship. Believing IN Him is going to cause many to assume they are safe when in fact they may not be at all. 

So what do we do, if, after an honest examination of our lives and our relationship with the Lord, we do not see the mark of Jesus on our thoughts, our deeds, and what we have declared by our actions to be our treasure? First, may I assure those who truly do so, the fact that you did so is a great indicator of your heart wanting the right relationship with God and He  will move mountains to see you find your way. 

Then what? Ask. Ask Him to lead you into all truth. Ask Him to show you HOW to walk where you are transformed, bearing fruits that testify to your calling and election. He will not disappoint. 

blessings, 

Gids

Edited by Gideon
  • Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,312
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

The Lord's prayer at Gethsemane is an example for us. From Mark 14:36,

And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.

The Lord's will and not our own be done. This is the example Christ Jesus set forth in the scriptures: as the Son does what He witnesses our Father doing so should we do what we witness the Son doing. This is the fulfillment of His prayer in John 17 and no matter where we are or our means in this world, offer ourselves as living sacrifices just as our Redeemer did for our sake. The devils believe in God (and tremble) but we believe God!

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  108
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

Armenian is a nationality - Arminian is a theological position.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Episcopius said:

Armenian is a nationality - Arminian is a theological position.

I would love to say my darned spell check failed me, but the truth is I just learned something. Thank you. ?

blessings, 

Gids

• This is Worthy 1
  • Haha 1

Some people can't even SPELL Arminian - yet think they can teach about it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,312
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

Verily. What a conundrum. During childhood I excelled at the spelling of words but found myself in the embarrassing position of butchering the pronunciation of many, such as "gist." I also found myself incapable of understanding why "envelope" bore no resemblance to "Penelope" where pronunciation was concerned. I still wonder about that one! :39:

It's ok, Gideon.

I think the whole issue of Calvinism vs Arminianism is not just "a smokescreen from the enemy" - but I choose not to get into it every time it's mentioned, else I would be doing nothing else.

22 minutes ago, Episcopius said:

It's ok, Gideon.

Thanks for your graciousness. Many get caught up in the free will vs. predestination debate. My personal feeling is if we put all that effort into seeking how to walk holy before the Lord instead, the argument would not seem so critically important to us, and our peace far greater.  

Many more are drawn to the Lord by our abiding in the vine, bearing fruits that He brings forth, than by our explaining to them doctrines that may tantalize our minds but do nothing for our hearts. 

blessings to you, Episcopus

Gids

1 hour ago, Josheb said:

You do realize the vast majority of those scriptures you've quoted and referenced are words written by the regenerate believer to regenerate believers about regenerate believers and NOT to or about unregenerate non-believers, yes? You realize all the many mentions of "you," "we," and "us" throughout the entire epistolary is people who are already converted from death to life? You do also understand those verses have completely different meaning and relevance to the unregenerate non-believer? 

This is real simple, Gideon: Can you show me an example of a believing non-believer in the Bible? 

Can you show me a scriptural precedent wherein the Bible describes someone coming from nonbelief unregeneracy to regenerate belief in his/her own might apart from God being already at work in his/her life for the purpose of salvation? 

Are you prepared to discuss this op knowing the analytical abilities I bring to bear upon it? And I ask that as encouragement, not admonition. One way or another the content of this op is built upon the answers to these fundamentally foundational questions I've just asked. Can you have that conversation with me?

I do not understand your issue. Of course they are written to believers. Before we go wandering off on a tangent of your particualr choosing, can you tell me if you agree or disagree as to the premise of my OP? That is what I would like to discuss. 

blessings, 

Gids

Edited by Gideon