Markesmith

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

Ah, so you are Roman Catholic, and militant to boot.  I see where this is going.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  300
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

The very act of interpreting Scripture is already interpretation because there is often no one-t0-0ne equivalent between English and the Hebrew or Greek word it translates.

You remind me of a funny cartoon I once saw.   A preacher bellows from the pulpit, "God says in His Word--and I tend to agree."

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

On 8/6/2020 at 1:35 PM, Markesmith said:

Can theology be reformed or changed?

Yes, if it is in error. Actually, it could be changed if it wasn't in error, but you wouldn't want it to be.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2020 at 9:43 AM, Markesmith said:

Theology is doctrine revealed by God, it cannot be reformed or changed! To do so or even to say that it can be reformed or changed would be blasphemy againt God who revealed it!

The following is from the online home of Tim Challies, blogger, author, and book reviewer.  Website: Tim Challies

"I am not Roman Catholic because Rome denies the gospel. Rome has a gospel but not the gospel and, in reality, their gospel damns not saves because it explicitly denies that justification comes by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone. Rome accurately understands the Protestant position and unapologetically anathematizes it. To the work of Christ it adds the work of Mary. To the intercession of the Savior it adds the intercession of the saints. To the authority of the Bible it adds the authority of tradition. To the free gift of salvation it adds the necessity of human effort. In place of the finished work of Christ on the cross it demands the ongoing sacrifice of the mass. In place of the permanent imputation of Christ’s righteousness it substitutes the temporary infusion of works righteousness. In so many different ways it explicitly and unapologetically denies truth and promotes error. The Roman Catholic gospel is a false gospel."  [Tim Challies]

I, Saved.One.by.Grace, am a former Roman Catholic having 16 years education in the "faith".  This is not my website but it represents the truth based on my years of study after I left the Roman Catholic "faith".  I've been ostracized by my family, cut out of wills, and shunned.  Why?  Because I am saved through faith in Jesus Christ, as a gift of God. 

Ephesians 2:8 - For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;
Ephesians 2:9 - not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.
Ephesians 2:10 - For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.  [NASB]

"I am not Roman Catholic because Rome is not the church. Rome claims to trace her lineage in an unbroken line that extends all the way back to the apostle Peter to whom Christ said, “Upon this rock I will build my church” (Matthew 16:18). In this way she says that she is the church with the power and authority to demand the allegiance and bind the conscience of every Christian. I do not recognize such lineage and, therefore, do not recognize such authority. Her claims are unprovable and represent a distortion of the Bible’s claims about Christ’s church. To be Catholic I would first have to bend the knee to the pope as the successor to Peter and acknowledge the Church as the continuation of what Christ began through his disciples. I cannot, because the Roman Catholic Church is a false church.

"I am not Roman Catholic because Catholic worship is idolatrous. Protestants commonly charge Catholicism with promoting worship of Mary or the saints. Under the tutelage of R.C. Sproul I came to understand that this charge requires nuance and is, to some degree, a matter of defining words such as “venerate.” And yet there is undeniably a seed of what I must acknowledge as idolatry. This was affirmed during a recent trip to Europe where in Germany and Austria I visited Catholic cathedrals and saw the veneration of bones, relics, and icons, and where I saw the Church advocating and promoting prayers to Mary and the saints. Here was Catholicism in its full bloom and it was as alarming as it was tragic. I saw people who have not known the joyous freedom of the gospel desperately extending worship to or through Mary and the saints. They did it all under the guidance of their Church. In many of its forms Roman Catholic worship is idolatrous."  [Tim Challies]

So prayerfully consider what is written here.

Edited by Saved.One.by.Grace
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Reformation is about how the original theology being twisted by RCC while reformers would like it to be corrected from what being distorted and deviated from original.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

Beginning with the 'church fathers' on down thru the ages, all have tried various ideas. The reformers were of an RC context and did their best I suppose. You have only to read of the antisemitism down thru the ages to realise how far off the mark most were.

My suggestion is to read scholarship that gives us the truest translations and transliterations and form you own 'theology'. Second hand theology does not really work since it has the trappings and the 'experiences' of mere mortals deeply inscribed in its very fabric.

Just study church history with an open mind and realise that all contexts EXCEPT the one(s) to whom scripture was originally written in the first place are doubtful.

Edited by Justin Adams

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,194
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

On 8/6/2020 at 3:35 PM, Markesmith said:

Can theology be reformed or changed?

No! It has always been held by remnant anchored in The  Creative and Written Word of God... when you let the written Word be The Authority by rules of grammar, context, historical and cultural settings, and the final council of God's Spirit within those boundaries you have 'Thus Sayeth The Lord'... 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

Can theology be reformed?

No, it can't. What people need is to hear Jesus' voice and abide by what He enjoined us.

On 8/7/2020 at 9:43 AM, Markesmith said:

Theology is doctrine revealed by God, it cannot be reformed or changed! To do so or even to say that it can be reformed or changed would be blasphemy againt God who revealed it!

Theology is interpreted by the one writing the theological treatise.  So there would be one or more Roman Catholic Theologies as well as a number of Protestant Theologies.  The one I have is Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology.  John MacArthur has written one and R. C. Sproul has also written one.  So, Wayne Grudem has revised his several times so does that count as reforming theological doctrine?