Suicide and still go to heaven?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,823
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

This is and always has been a difficult topic.  In part, because many times - the person asking the question about suicide is really asking permission to kill him or her self.  We have to be very, very careful in our answers - yet we MUST tell the truth.

Also, in part - because people are deeply entrenched in their personal beliefs.  Those who are convinced that a person who commits suicide goes straight to hell do not waver from that.  And those believe that nothing can separate a Christian from the love of God do not waiver from their beliefs.

I will just give my own beliefs.  I was at the point of suicide twice in my life.  I won't give the details.  I will just say that the mental agony was very real and very painful and I just could not bear it.  Literally - I could not bear it.  I planned it all out - I won't give those details - but it was very methodical and making sure my parents weren't the ones finding me in my house and that my cats were taken care of.

People who contemplate suicide aren't in their right minds.  I know that for a fact - because as a Christian, I've been there twice.  I can say that with authority.  Pain will do that - both physical pain, mental torment, and pain from abusive relationships.

God delivered me from that line of thinking that death was the only way out - but he did not take away the mental agony.  Was that fair?  I believe everything God does is just and merciful.  Fair?  If God were fair - we would ALL be in hell.

I understand the pull, the draw, of suicide.  I understand the falling for the lie from the devil that suicide will make everything alright.  It won't.

I, now at this stage of my life, will never consider it again.  It is sin.  It is a huge blow to the family and changes who they are for the worse.  They never get over it.  They never get over the feelings that it's their fault.

But does suicide send a Christians to hell?  It's literally impossible.  The only thing that sends one to hell is the rejection of Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.

As for not being able to confess the sin, EVERY Christian on the planet is going to die with unconfessed sin.  We cannot be 100% aware of every sin - in thought or deed - it's impossible.  I could give some examples, but that's not the point.

For those contemplating suicide, listen to me - I UNDERSTAND!!!

You need to fall before God and beg him to take this desire away.  It's a lie from the devil that it will be alright because for your friends and family it WILL BE HELL!!!

The devil wants you to kill yourself.  God wants you to seek him and cast your cares on him.  Life can be VERY painful, crappy, and just awful.  The answer for that is NEVER killing yourself.

Check your relationship with God. Do you read your Bible?  Pray?  Congregate with other Christians?  Listen to soothing and God-honoring music?  Make your life about loving and helping others?  Focus on getting out of your own head everyday?

Suicide is not the answer.  

• Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.79
  • Days Won:  226

The suicide of a believer is evidence that anyone can struggle with depression and dispair. Suicide is a serious sin against God. The judgment of that person is in the hands of God. 

• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

2 hours ago, Jayne said:

I will just give my own beliefs.  I was at the point of suicide twice in my life.  I won't give the details.  I will just say that the mental agony was very real and very painful and I just could not bear it.  Literally - I could not bear it.  I planned it all out - I won't give those details - but it was very methodical and making sure my parents weren't the ones finding me in my house and that my cats were taken care of.

People who contemplate suicide aren't in their right minds.  I know that for a fact - because as a Christian, I've been there twice.  I can say that with authority.  Pain will do that - both physical pain, mental torment, and pain from abusive relationships.

Thank you for sharing this, Jayne. It details my experiences also very well and right to the heart. 

2 hours ago, Jayne said:

God delivered me from that line of thinking that death was the only way out - but he did not take away the mental agony. 

Amidst my trials and obvious ongoing struggles, I haven't quite arrived to this point yet. It is my hope. 

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

The suicide of a believer is evidence that anyone can struggle with depression and dispair. Suicide is a serious sin against God. The judgment of that person is in the hands of God. 

Yeah, true. No believer will ever be condemned to Hell. That was meant for the devil, his merry band of rebellious cohort angelic beings, and sinners who were never forgiven because they never asked or wanted it. These are unbelievers and heathens. And furthermore, uh-oh. 

I'll get off my soapbox now.

:soapbox:Slowly walking away from the topic... :sneaking: and I think that's far enough. Run! :runforhills:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  56
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Good question.  As I attempt to broach an answer, I feel it is vitally important to remember that our God is not only a God of perfect justice, but also one of infinite mercy.  With that being said, perhaps we might examine a couple of technical points.  Going to hell after death is the outcome of dying in a state of mortal sin.  Mortal sin is not something we casually fall into by chance, but rather is the outcome of a definite turning away from, a complete and deliberate rejection of our loving Father.  For this to occur, three component requirements must be present: 1) grave matter,  2) full knowledge of the spiritual consequences of our actions/inactions, and 3) full freedom of will regarding these.  If one or more components are not present mortal sin does not exist and heaven, subsequently would not necessarily be forfeited.  I believe based upon my albeit limited experiences with suicide, that the majority of individuals who unfortunately take their lives are in a state of extreme mental duress.  They are desperately attempting to "make the pain stop", whether that pain be physical or emotional/psychological, by any means necessary.  In this respect they are not acting with full freedom of will or possibly even without full knowledge given the their often rattled state of mind.  We must always hold onto hope that our loved ones who die by suicide are given every consideration for grace and forgiveness by an infinitely loving God.  We must always keep them in our prayers asking for their forgiveness and entry into heaven.  The possibility for Divine love must always remain paramount in our hope.  May the peace and joy of Christ be with you. 

• Well Said! 1