• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1,190
  • Topics Per Day:  0.68
  • Content Count:  1,742
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  0

Do not change yourselves to be like the people of this world,

but be changed within by a new way of thinking.

Then you will be able to decide what God wants for you;

you will know what is good and pleasing to him and what is perfect.”

Romans 12:2

A change in behavior begins

with Jesus changing our heart.

Our Daily Bread

Naturally, God Speaks

image.png.9397189f6629ca5b39b0deb10e7c536f.png

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

Leaving out verse 1 robs verse 2 of its teeth.

If one has not totally surrendered to Jesus one cannot start to change one's mind and thought processes.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,217
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

Rom 12:2? "And not fashion yourselves [to conform] to the age this, but be transformed be the renewing of the mind your, for the to prove you what the will of God the good and well pleasing and perfect." ORG.

Eph 4 "That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;"

I think reading before and after every verse (always) might show "us" what is really being said.

One of 29

The CJ "in other words (this is telling us something that relates to this verse we should have read before )do not let yourselves be conformed to the standards of the 'olam hazeh'. In stead keep letting yourselves be transformed by the renewing of your minds so that you will know what God wants and will agree that what He wants is good, satisfying and able to succeed"

So far in 28 (29 with CJ) different version I didn't find the one the OP posted. Ok I believe I found it " New Century Version"? . For me its not the closest to the org text. That is what matters to me. Me? I don't go with the "version" of the bible that fits my personal beliefs :) that happens ALLOT. 

Edited by TheBlade

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  673
  • Content Per Day:  0.49

I wonder if what is written in Romans goes without saying because the culture of the time just knew that the renewed mind can only be done in the spirit as we see in Ephesians.

Perhaps it's not...
be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind.

But rather...
be renewed in the spirit of your mind.

Most believers have been taught it's them, their mind, and therefore their flesh that should be involved in renewing their mind. I'm thinking it's the spirit of my mind that comes with a bit of an already renewed mind as I just get out of the way. Perhaps this is why a guy like Paul could say...

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me:"

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,144
  • Content Per Day:  7.06
  • Days Won:  97

It's a quote from the Easy to Read Version (ERV), originally composed to meet the needs of people new to English and those with special needs. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  1

Hello Walter. I hope you're keeping well? I'm not a fan of over-the-top equivalence and loose paraphrasing myself, although I recognise the need to make God's Word as understandable and comprehensible as possible today.

Finding that balance can be difficult for translators in some contexts, but totally changing the meaning is misleading and a waste of everything. You wrote, "We are 'changed within' by the renewing of the Holy Spirit, not by a 'new way of thinking'... the renewing of our minds (...is the work of Christ)..." As I understand Romans 12:2 in context, we are being encouraged to make sure that in our thinking we focus our attention on those things that please God rather than being moulded by the world's infuence. Isn't this verse a straightforward instruction to think correctly, rather than being related to a "renewing of the Holy Spirit" in any sense? Or maybe I've misunderstood you? I'm open to correction.

This is vital, in my opinion. We are not God's robots, so it's up to US to be disciplined to think differently, to be godly (set apart), and to have a radically different approach to living and thinking than the dead world around us. Yes, of course God will help us, but it's our respsoniblity to think properly so we are open to the Spirit's influence and guidance. If we don't regularly renew our thinking it follows that over time we won't be able to "prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God" (KJV).

Probably like most in here, I'm not a God-appointed teacher. But isn't there a powerful sermon here? We need to totally block the world's ethos by immersing ourselves in the teaching of Christ revealed throughout Scripture. We are instructed to have sound judgement. We must think the right way so we can THEN be open to God's will by His Spirit, and through His work in others. This mental renewal is fully our responsibility — it is our work offered to Him.

So, for me (please note!) that paraphrase above is getting to the sense of the original: "Do not change yourselves to be like the people of this world, but be changed within by a new way of thinking. Then you will be able to decide what God wants for you; you will know what is good and pleasing to him and what is perfect."

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  381
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Birthday:  03/04/1973

What about in Amplified Version Romans 12:2 

And do not be conformed to this world [any longer with its superficial values and customs], but be transformed and progressively changed [as you mature spiritually] by the renewing of your mind [focusing on godly values and ethical attitudes], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His plan and purpose for you].

* Renewing of our mind is our part on how to focus on godly values & ethical attitudes. How?

*  Let's be deligent to study the Word of God and be a doer of the Word of God & through it... we will have "The Mind of Christ" as we know and we know what are those pleasing and acceptable to store in our mind.

Edited by Refresher
  • Thumbs Up 1