• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I get the impression we have quite a few people here who aren't sure what a sin is and what isn't sinful. So what I want to do with this thread is for those who answer it to give specific examples of what is sin, and perhaps explain why. Some sins are obvious, such as murder, but others are not.

Please Do Not turn this into a debate on which behaviors are sins because there will undoubtedly be differences of opinion.

I'll start it with using any foul language is sinful, not just cuss words. This is sinful because in Ephesians 4:29 Paul says "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Going with your specific idea - foul language - I will say this:

Curse words, gossip, lies, threats, hate speech, nasty jokes/speech - to me that all falls under "unwholesome talk".  And it is all sin. 

Why do people speak like this [and we all have at some point]:

• To make ourselves look important, cool, hip, and like we are the king/queen of words and information.
  • For shock value - to impress people that we DARE say these things.
  • To make others look bad and ourselves look good.
  • To be vulgar for vulgarity's sake.

Speech is a gift from God. We are created in his image. We have an alphabet and language in ways that animal communications don't. God said in his word, "Let your speech be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you will know how to answer each person." Jesus Christ, himself, said, "It's not what goes into a man's mouth that defiles him, but what come out of his mouth."

What comes out of our mouth should be uplifting to people and glorify God in it's purity and truthfulness.

The Bible says that the tongue is set on fire from HELL. That it is full of poison, no one can tame their tongue, and that the tongue is a "restless" evil.

The book of James, chapter 3.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

I suppose its possible to generalise? We have the witness of the Holy Spirit in our spirits. This witness will be aligned with a sound knowledge of God's Word — those truths that make us competent, complete and fully equipped so we are able to properly appreciate what pleases God and what doesn't. 

“Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You” (Psalm 119:11, NKJV).

"...if our heart (conscience) does not convict us [of guilt], we have confidence before God"; "...any person who knows what is right to do but does not do it, to him it is sin" (1st John 3:21; James 4:17).

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  462
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, JTC said:

Foul language is sinful, not just cuss words. This is sinful because in Ephesians 4:29 Paul says "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

Foul language is not sinful because of what Paul says in Eph. 4:29. He wrote that to remind his readers that it is sinful. We can know it's sinful because of what Paul wrote, but it doesn't really explain why  it's sinful. 

Foul language is sinful for a number of reasons. For example:

1. It is sexual (blaspheming the marriage relationship)

2. It is directly blasphemous.

3. It is offensive within the culture you find yourself -I.e. it hurts other people to hear those words.

4. It is used to put down other people and express contempt

... many examples...

But I see or hear some stuff and I think it's simple lack of creativity and a bit sad really.

Anyway, I think that the question of "is this sin?" is not the right focus. It's essentially asking "is this good?". "Is it ok if I do this?". Which is more to do with the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil - i.e. the desire to be good. Instead, focus on what pleases Jesus and develops your relationship with him.

Edited by NotAllThere

1 hour ago, Speks said:

"...any person who knows what is right to do but does not do it, to him it is sin" (1st John 3:21; James 4:17)

Exactly right.

46 minutes ago, NotAllThere said:

1. It is sexual (blaspheming the marriage relationship)

2. It is directly blasphemous.

3. It is offensive within the culture you find yourself -I.e. it hurts other people to hear those words.

4. It is used to put down other people and express contempt

Agreed.

In Proverbs and other places, God says we shouldn't use different scales when selling to different people. I imagine the ancient Jews wanted to give each other a better deal than they gave the heathen. God says this is wrong. So suppose you go buy something and the cashier gives you back too much change, what do you think God would say you should do? I believe God expects us to give it back. One reason is because many stores will make the cashier have to pay it back herself. But even if they don't, I consider it stealing. I'm not saying I haven't been tempted to keep it because I have, I even did keep it a few times, but then I grew in the Lord. Today I don't consider keeping it anymore. Anyone else remember that old commercial for Hebrew National Hot Dogs? The punch line was "we answer to a higher authority". That was why we were supposed to believe their hot dogs were 100% beef, and perhaps they were. I always remembered their slogan of answering to a higher authority and once I became a Christian I realized that's what we're supposed to be doing. Sure, the people of the world consider us fools, we have to get used to that. According to the Bible, they are the fools because they don't put God first, above all other things. We do that.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.89

Bearing false witness was especially bad in the days of Israel since someone could be sentenced to death over the testimony of two witnesses. These days, it's far too easy to do with little accountability.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, teddyv said:

Bearing false witness was especially bad in the days of Israel since someone could be sentenced to death over the testimony of two witnesses. These days, it's far too easy to do with little accountability.

This is why, nowadays, our behavior is so important. This is especially true for salvation. There was a time when no one would say they accept Jesus as Lord if they didn't mean it because they could get killed for saying such a thing. Those days are long gone. Today a person might say that to be popular or to get a free meal. This is one reason I stress what a person does is so important. (it's not the only reason, but it's one of them)

But Teddy, are you trying to change the topic of this thread or is this something you need to discuss.

I made this thread because in another thread, someone didn't understand what works of the flesh means. He said since we are human everything we do is a work of the flesh. But to the Bible writers, works of the flesh are sins. And I've often noticed that many of our members are uncertain as to what is a sin. So I figured let's address this without condemning anyone.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.89

Did not think I was changing the topic but I must have missed the intent of your OP.