• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

This is my favorite version of the Bible. (the NKJV is my 2nd favorite) Perhaps the NIV is my favorite because that's the one I read from cover to cover. As much as I believe in reading Scripture, nowadays I listen to the Bible more than I read it. I don't recommend anyone start out this way, but listening to the Scriptures has a few advantages to reading them. In 1990 I bought both the complete Bible on audio plus the NT on audio. Even though both of them were narrated by the same reader there was a difference. He reads slower on his NT recording than he does on the complete Bible recording. For this reason I find his NT superior. I usually listen to the Bible online and it's pretty good. I still find the speed of the reader to be important. I just heard an excerpt from Genesis by a new reader.  The reader is David Suchet and I think it's the best audio NIV I ever heard. He reads slow enough to think about what is being read. I just wanted everyone to know.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

29 minutes ago, JTC said:

This is my favorite version of the Bible. (the NKJV is my 2nd favorite) Perhaps the NIV is my favorite because that's the one I read from cover to cover. As much as I believe in reading Scripture, nowadays I listen to the Bible more than I read it. I don't recommend anyone start out this way, but listening to the Scriptures has a few advantages to reading them. In 1990 I bought both the complete Bible on audio plus the NT on audio. Even though both of them were narrated by the same reader there was a difference. He reads slower on his NT recording than he does on the complete Bible recording. For this reason I find his NT superior. I usually listen to the Bible online and it's pretty good. I still find the speed of the reader to be important. I just heard an excerpt from Genesis by a new reader.  The reader is David Suchet and I think it's the best audio NIV I ever heard. He reads slow enough to think about what is being read. I just wanted everyone to know.

Have you heard of this audio bible yet?  Here is a link to a google search that has three youtube links so you can really listen to it.  https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=word+of+promise+audio+bible

Each character has a different voice from actors like Lou Gossett Jr., Michael York, Gary Sinise, Richard Dreyfuss and many more.  The background is like a movie.  Very relaxing and if you listen with your eyes closed you can imagine what is going on as it is so realistic.

44 minutes ago, JTC said:

I like reading the NIV.  It's my favorite bible for pure reading pleasure.  I've read both the KJV and the NIV all the way through.  The NKJV is good too.  For study, I prefer the NASB mostly because it matches my favorite commentary, Unger's Commentary of the Old Testament.  Since I read instead of listen, I'll note your recommendations for future reference.  God bless. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

7 hours ago, JTC said:

I listen to the Bible more than I read it.

Me too, JTC. A lot more and in a variety of contexts. Each day I use the CSB read by Jon Mohr, the best voice I've personally heard, and I've heard David Suchet's too. A very good reading voice. I also use the Tecarta Bible app on devices (ESV, NASB, Amplified Bible, NKJV), and theWord for laptops and PCs. 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

12 hours ago, OneLight said:

Have you heard of this audio bible yet?  Here is a link to a google search that has three youtube links so you can really listen to it. 

Thank you for the link, I didn't know of this version. I especially like that it's the NKJV. This is the first NKJV I've come across on audio. I usually listen to the Bible on Biblegateway and they don't have an audio NKJV. There was also a time when I was against the dramatized versions of the Bible. I felt that dramatizing it took away from it's accuracy. But then I listened to Acts in the dramatized NIV. Wow, I felt like I was right there, in some chapters. Now I love a dramatized Bible.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

2 hours ago, JTC said:

Thank you for the link, I didn't know of this version. I especially like that it's the NKJV. This is the first NKJV I've come across on audio. I usually listen to the Bible on Biblegateway and they don't have an audio NKJV. There was also a time when I was against the dramatized versions of the Bible. I felt that dramatizing it took away from it's accuracy. But then I listened to Acts in the dramatized NIV. Wow, I felt like I was right there, in some chapters. Now I love a dramatized Bible.

The Word of Promise comes in either CD or MP3 formats.  I have both.  I liked it so much I gave it to family members as a Christmas gift a few years back.  The CD version is currently on sale at christianbooks.com