DocVader

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  38
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

I've seen a couple of posts here that speak of Billy Grahams false teachings and doctrines, but no mention of what they are.  I've heard him preach, I've heard his son and grandson preach, I've read a few of his books.  I see the fruit of Samaritans Purse.  

What exactly are his false teachings?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,227
  • Content Per Day:  7.08
  • Days Won:  99

I know of the following statement made by Billy Graham in an interview with Robert Schuller in 1987:

"I think that everybody that loves or knows Christ, whether they are conscious of it or not, they are members of the body of Christ ... [God] is calling people out of the world for his name, whether they come from the Muslim world, or the Buddhist world or the non-believing world, they are members of the Body of Christ because they have been called by God. They may not know the name of Jesus but they know in their hearts that they need something they do not have, and they turn to the only light they have, and I think that they are saved and they are going to be with us in heaven."

There was also the matter of his hatred of Jews, which was revealed in taped conversations with Richard Nixon. These were made public in 2002; in light of his universalist mindset it's rather bizarre. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  244
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,997
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

2 hours ago, DocVader said:

I've seen a couple of posts here that speak of Billy Grahams false teachings and doctrines, but no mention of what they are.  I've heard him preach, I've heard his son and grandson preach, I've read a few of his books.  I see the fruit of Samaritans Purse.  

Apart from reading a provocative book about the Billy Graham Crusades I haven't paid much attention to his career, but do recall concern that he had aligned with Roman Catholicism and was inclined towards Universalism. The article linked below is written by a Roman Catholic and leaves no doubt that Billy Graham was well disposed towards them.

I have come across comments that indicate Billy G wasn't concerned with preaching theology but had an anointing to reach all people and persuade them to accept Christ as their Saviour. 

Billy Graham & Roman Catholicism

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks for the info, guys.  I will look into this further.  I wasn't aware of the leaning towards universalism. 

Edited by DocVader

1 hour ago, Marathoner said:

There was also the matter of his hatred of Jews, which was revealed in taped conversations with Richard Nixon. These were made public in 2002; in light of his universalist mindset it's rather bizarre. 

I just read a transcript of the tapes.  Wow.  Just...wow.  

• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

14 hours ago, DocVader said:

I hadn't heard of his anti-Semitism previously, but in the earlier part of the 20th century when revivalism became more prevalent, a good many Protestant churches including the Baptists and other evangelicals where Graham came from, had a dim unexplained view of Judaism. This has changed tremendously over the last 40 years especially. 

Billy Graham did find himself in a state of continual compromising in order to reach souls. Was this the best approach? Perhaps not, but by numbers, he probably was the most successful evangelist of our time. It seemed more came to find Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord than any other before him or since. I'll give him that much credit.

That's substantial. I think this scripture says something here some may have taken license because of it. 

1 Corinthians 9:22 KJV 22To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, BeauJangles said:

Billy Graham did find himself in a state of continual compromising in order to reach souls. Was this the best approach? Perhaps not, but by numbers, he probably was the most successful evangelist of our time. Probably more came to find Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord than any other before him or since. I'll give him that much credit. That's substantial.

Yep, that can't be disputed.   The fact that his strongest desire was to tell people about Christ says a lot.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

3 minutes ago, DocVader said:

The fact that his strongest desire was to tell people about Christ says a lot.

It does indeed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,227
  • Content Per Day:  7.08
  • Days Won:  99

Like @Michael37 I never paid any attention to Billy Graham; what I furnished on this thread was acquired by searching for it. Church-going and Christianity were not features of the home I was reared in and I didn't know the Lord until He called to me when I was a young man (26). Until He called to me I only fostered the most ambiguous notions of God. :) 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Michael37 said:

Apart from reading a provocative book about the Billy Graham Crusades I haven't paid much attention to his career, but do recall concern that he had aligned with Roman Catholicism and was inclined towards Universalism. The article linked below is written by a Roman Catholic and leaves no doubt that Billy Graham was well disposed towards them.

I have come across comments that indicate Billy G wasn't concerned with preaching theology but had an anointing to reach all people and persuade them to accept Christ as their Saviour. 

Billy Graham & Roman Catholicism

22 hours ago, Marathoner said:

Like @Michael37 I never paid any attention to Billy Graham; what I furnished on this thread was acquired by searching for it. Church-going and Christianity were not features of the home I was reared in and I didn't know the Lord until He called to me when I was a young man (26). Until He called to me I only fostered the most ambiguous notions of God. :) 

Billy Graham on the Wrong Side of History

This 2 year old article is worth reading.