IGNORED

Why are some drawn to fiction stories and others repelled by them?

GandalfTheWise

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  2

40 minutes ago, Henry_iain said:

There is room for play. Because play stimulates imagination and improves problem solving ability. There is room for hobbies and activities that we call "fun" as long as this does not lead to sin. Because fun opens many doors. People who are willing to do something because they like doing it are more productive. And so there is no reason that I can see why one can't glorify God and enjoy some form of amusement or interest  at the same time. I do it all the time. 

Nice post with many good thoughts.  Just grabbing one here.

Well said.   Jesus' comment about entering the Kingdom as children comes to mind.  I've spent the past decade doing research on learning methodology.  A good summary of what I've learned is that the more like play it is for us, the more enthusiastic we are and the more progress we make.  I think a large part of western education has been about turning human beings into soulless cogs that can efficiently fit into the machines of society.  I think God often uses various things in the arts to help shake us free from that oppression.   

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  1

4 minutes ago, GandalfTheWise said:

Nice post with many good thoughts.  Just grabbing one here.

Well said.   Jesus' comment about entering the Kingdom as children comes to mind.  I've spent the past decade doing research on learning methodology.  A good summary of what I've learned is that the more like play it is for us, the more enthusiastic we are and the more progress we make.  I think a large part of western education has been about turning human beings into soulless cogs that can efficiently fit into the machines of society.  I think God often uses various things in the arts to help shake us free from that oppression.   

Not totally onboard with the last comment. Early childhood education is very much play-based. Experiential learning is also far more prevalent in NA than the more rote based learning common in the East.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  2

2 minutes ago, teddyv said:

Not totally onboard with the last comment. Early childhood education is very much play-based. Experiential learning is also far more prevalent in NA than the more rote based learning common in the East.

Good clarifying point.  I agree with what you say.  My comment was geared toward older children and adults.  Gallup's work on student engagement shows a steady and significant drop from middle school through high school with only about 1/3 of final year high school students actively engaged.  Basically, the more we move from more individualistic "play" based learning to formal scheduled curriculum material, the fewer students are actively engaged.     This would make an interesting thread in its own right if some are interested.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  24,885
  • Content Per Day:  5.78
  • Days Won:  161
  • Birthday:  01/30/1985

9 minutes ago, GandalfTheWise said:

Basically, the more we move from more individualistic "play" based learning to formal scheduled curriculum material, the fewer students are actively engaged.     This would make an interesting thread in its own right if some are interested.

This would definitely interest me. A couple of years ago I studied education for six month (for a Post Graduate Certificate in Education). I didn't finish it (long story) but I did learn a few very interesting thing. My mother actually works for a Montessori school at the moment. So a thread about this would certainly be interesting for me. I have always had questions about traditional education from the time I was in school myself. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

Good clarifying point.  I agree with what you say.  My comment was geared toward older children and adults.  Gallup's work on student engagement shows a steady and significant drop from middle school through high school with only about 1/3 of final year high school students actively engaged.  Basically, the more we move from more individualistic "play" based learning to formal scheduled curriculum material, the fewer students are actively engaged.     This would make an interesting thread in its own right if some are interested.

Yes, it could be interesting. I'm married to a teacher/school administrator, so much of what I know comes from that direction.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  0

I've been reading the post and  most are good. Most every night after the nightly news I shut down the Tv but tonight I had my mind on other things like this forum. suddenly i noticed that i had forgot to turn the TV off. I saw older people playing l on things like children that would drop them into vats of chocolate or what ever contraption. It was the Ellan Degenerus show. I know you will say 'm some  Scruge. It looked ridiculous. We all know what Ellan's life style is.  It came to mind 1 Corinthians When Paul said 

When i was a child I spake as child. I understood as a child. I thought as a child, but when i became a man I put away childish things. 

This is Holy Wood. This is prime time television.   

Edited by Mike Mclees

• 11 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  58
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

On 12/10/2020 at 11:23 AM, ReneeIW said:

Edited by Workman
There's no "delete" option.

On 12/12/2020 at 11:58 AM, Alive said:

Henry--I think you might enjoy reading 'The Holiness of God' by RC Sproule.

RC Sproul is an excellent Apologist for the Christian faith.  When one reads him you have to realize he is writing from a 5-point Calvinist perspective.  I am not a Calvinist.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,994
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,692
  • Content Per Day:  11.74
  • Days Won:  226

On 12/10/2020 at 6:48 AM, GandalfTheWise said:

This question arose in my mind in another thread.   Why is it that some people like fiction stories, (be it books, comics, graphic novels, video-game story lines, oral story-telling, TV shows, movies, or whatever media)?  Why do some people not care about them or to actively dislike them?   I'm not talking about preferring particular genres, but rather liking, not caring, or actively disliking fiction stories in general.  I'm not talking about what details cause someone to dislike particular stories (such as profanity, graphic descriptions, non-Christian world view, etc.).  But, what is it about fictional stories that they even exist and that some people like them?

I didn't phrase it in a personal way in the title, but what I am curious about is why different people here are drawn to consume fiction while others have no interest and others might be actively repelled by fiction.   What is it that drives your feelings toward fiction stories?   I'm hoping this thread can be one of constructive reflection where we can learn from each other and maybe explore a topic that doesn't get talked about very much.

It is my preference. I read some nonfiction but everything I read is the Christian genre. 

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,994
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,692
  • Content Per Day:  11.74
  • Days Won:  226

1 hour ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

RC Sproul is an excellent Apologist for the Christian faith.  When one reads him you have to realize he is writing from a 5-point Calvinist perspective.  I am not a Calvinist.

RC Sproul would not be my choice because he was a Calvinist and was amillennial. 

• Thumbs Up 1