Confusion with God's people seeking revenge in Revelations

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Revelations 6 talks about John's vision where he saw God's people were seeking revenge on those who killed/harmed them while on earth (Revelations 6: 9-11). This sounds conflicting to me. God's people are supposed to show love and affection to all of God's creation. And Jesus said that those who live by the word would not see death. Which I anticipate to mean that though they will experience death, they will not see it as dying itself. For example, when Stephen was killed what he saw was the heavens open up. He prayed to god to forgive those who are persecuting him. Same with Jesus, he too prayed that those who persecute him to be forgiven. But in revelations 6 we read about God's people asking for revenge, which seems to be conflicting with what Jesus said and did himself. Reading what Stephen went through when he was stoned, it is hard to believe he would be asking God for revenge on those people who did so. Is there someone who can give a better explanation to these areas of the word which to me seems to conflict?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  66
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Diaz, there is actually no conflict at all! When you read the text, you see they are doing exactly as they were supposed to do by asking God about when "He" would be taking vengeance on those who had shed the blood of the saints. Even in the Old Testament you find where vengeance was meted out to those deserving it but it was under the authority of God and not a personal "getting even" with an enemy. (Est_8:13  A copy of what was written was to be issued as a decree in every province, being publicly displayed to all peoples, and the Jews were to be ready on that day to take vengeance on their enemies.

Rev 6:10  They cried out with a loud voice, "O Sovereign Lord, holy and true, how long before you will judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?" Rom_12:19  Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord."

Regarding your reference to "death"..............death has always meant 'separation.' The first death is the separation of the soul and spirit from the body. It is the Second Death that is to be feared because it is the separation of the soul, body and spirit from God!

And just as a side note when you are discussing Scripture, it is THE Revelation of God and not Revelation(S) and it gives honor and respect to God when you refer to Him as God, with a capital G, unless, of course, you are referring to pagan gods or to anyone other than Jehovah God.

Thanks for your question

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,946
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 hour ago, Diaz said:

Revelations 6 talks about John's vision where he saw God's people were seeking revenge on those who killed/harmed them while on earth (Revelations 6: 9-11). This sounds conflicting to me. God's people are supposed to show love and affection to all of God's creation. And Jesus said that those who live by the word would not see death. Which I anticipate to mean that though they will experience death, they will not see it as dying itself. For example, when Stephen was killed what he saw was the heavens open up. He prayed to god to forgive those who are persecuting him. Same with Jesus, he too prayed that those who persecute him to be forgiven. But in revelations 6 we read about God's people asking for revenge, which seems to be conflicting with what Jesus said and did himself. Reading what Stephen went through when he was stoned, it is hard to believe he would be asking God for revenge on those people who did so. Is there someone who can give a better explanation to these areas of the word which to me seems to conflict?

Hi Diaz,

Welcome to Worthy. Somehow you've managed to bypass the Worthy Welcome Section where you introduce yourself.  

image.png.5ea4e1b6196de9fd7137927c4301868e.png

No matter.

Actually the book of the Bible you are referencing is Revelation singular. There is no "s" on the end.

Moving on, in Revelation 6:10 the souls under the altar are not seeking their own revenge but enquiring of God how long before He keeps His Word and executes vengeance upon the wicked.

You are right in stating that God's People are not to avenge themselves, but wrong in thinking the souls under the altar are violating that principle.

Rom 12:17-19  Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.  (18)  If it be possible, as much as lies in you, live peaceably with all men.  (19)  Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, says the Lord.

God has always warned that He will take vengeance, something which the OT Psalms and Prophets make much mention of as well as the NT Epistles.

Heb 10:26-30  For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins,  (27)  But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.  (28)  He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:  (29)  Of how much sorer punishment, suppose you, shall he be thought worthy, who has trodden under foot the Son of God, and has counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and has done despite unto the Spirit of grace?  (30)  For we know him that has said, Vengeance belongs unto me, I will recompense, says the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.

Blessings from Michael37.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

On 12/24/2020 at 2:31 AM, Diaz said:

God's people are supposed to show love and affection to all of God's creation.

No we are to show our love for Jesus by obeying his commands John 14:15.