Has anyone ever heard anyone say...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

I was just thinking of the old infamous saying, "God told me to tell you what to do." And musing that maybe every day someone's telling someone that, somewhere in the world.

So I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard, or been led to say, something like:

"God told me to let you be you."

"God told me to stop pressuring you to (fill in the blank with anything)." 

"God told me to give you advice only if you ask for it, otherwise I should look to my own life."

"God told me to leave you alone, that you're perfectly capable of being right with Him without my help."

Just a thought...

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

1 hour ago, Unit 11 said:

I was just thinking of the old infamous saying, "God told me to tell you what to do." And musing that maybe every day someone's telling someone that, somewhere in the world.

"God told me to give you advice only if you ask for it, otherwise I should look to my own life."

"God told me to leave you alone, that you're perfectly capable of being right with Him without my help."

Just a thought...

I can't ever remember anyone telling me that God told them to tell me something.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

1 hour ago, Unit 11 said:

Just a thought...

Well, if God told them to do something like that, maybe they just did it...so no reason to tell them.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,897
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

It could just be their way of expressing that they have felt God leading them in a certain direction/to a certain decision. I think most people who say that don't mean they heard a literal, audible voice.

It's true that God leads us, many times strongly, if we seek His will (and many times when we resist, as well). I've definitely come across people who abuse that phrase though; they get an idea, and immediately go "God is leading me to do such and such!" and at that point, without any humility, they've decided on that path and if you question them at all, they act as if you're questioning God Himself.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.71

12 hours ago, Unit 11 said:

God told me to tell you what to do

No no one has ever said that, partly because the church I attend is not a charismatic church where there are prophetic messages etc.

Should anyone want to deliver such a message. I would want to know how accountable they were, to who and what their track record was like.

God does not make mistakes, but people do. 

The test of a false prophet is do they ever get it wrong and any such message as suggested in this post is prophetic, so if they had been wrong in the past I would know that his message was a lie.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  909
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,654
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

13 hours ago, Unit 11 said:

Just a thought...

No, but there are a lot of people who I wish had been told that.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  909
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,654
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

This does beg the point that there are a lot of people who believe they are in telepathic touch with God especially about telling others what to do or what not to do.

Now this is entirely possible. But for as many as they tell? Other than Jesus and Moses I know of no others in scripture or history who God was that in touch with concerning the deeds of others.

Occasionally, yes.

There is a religious superstitiousness to humanity that actually interferes with our walk with  God and even our perception of God. For some it's a "see everything as a sign from God" mentality with a lot of personal opinion added in.  People are selfish by nature (which is why when we do the same things as others we condemn, we are sop easy on ourselves). So we judge others (they aren't doing enough for God, or they can't be Christian and do or believe or think that way...). Or we feel we are the bridge between God and man to pass along tidbits we get from above...

Others are walking on religious superstitious eggshells to the point that everything hits them like the clap of church bells (when it's only an alarm clock going off)... always condemning, never assuring... and when anyone says "God told me to tell you..." it's like a mental collapse to try to repair some perceived rift between them and God as if God is raring back to hurl a lightning bolt right at them.

God can and on occasion does speak to us... in many ways and even through other people. Most often he speaks through his Word. He is in control and he sends people into our lives (like our parents) to "speak to us" on how to grow up in the way we should grow. ← this is not some New Age nature-speak mumbo jumbo, but God places truth in the way things  work in creation and the way things don't work (which is a manner of speaking to us). Romans 8:28. 

The best way to see God's hand in things is to begin at the beginning and tune our spirits into the interpretation of the Holy Spirit specifically regarding scriptures (2 Peter 1:20-21) but also in all truth (John 16:13).  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

On 2/7/2021 at 3:25 PM, Unit 11 said:

Just a thought...

Generally God does not want us to stay where we are, but He wants us growing and moving forwards, so while he may not want people to brow beat you, encouraging you to better things is definitely in His wheelhousr

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

4 hours ago, Riverwalker said:

Generally God does not want us to stay where we are, but He wants us growing and moving forwards, so while he may not want people to brow beat you, encouraging you to better things is definitely in His wheelhouse

In my experience, my Creator has communicated those directly to me without need of a middleman. I find that encouraging. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  2,380
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

I have no problem with people feeling led of the Spirit to tell me something they think is from God - so long as they do not get bent out of shape if I run their message by God myself before acting. Rarely is God going to tell you what I should do before He tells me what I should do. Maybe if I've ignored God, He might send someone along with a confirmation or 'reminder'. But the messenger's job is to deliver the message - period. If how I act on the information bothers the messenger, then it is probably more a judgement from them, rather than a message from God.

But I also take your point. Scripture admonishes Christians “to mind your own business” (1 Thessalonians 4:11). Too often Christians confuse 'God told me you should …” with “I think you should …”.

• Thumbs Up 1