IGNORED

40,000 years of history? Man before Adam?

hdtwice

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

This is a question that was being addressed in another thread and so as to not hijack that thread, it was suggested to start a new conversation so here it is.

Waggles has stated that there was earlier man than Adam and history goes back 40k years.  Several asked how he came to that conclusion and we were just starting to get some answers when Waggles suggested a different thread for this so Waggles if you would expand on this..thank you.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  4

I would also like to hear what the source of that is, because the known history of man goes back @ 5000 years to the beginning of the Egyptian empire.  and in 5000 years we have come to where we are now.

That's a lot of advancement in just 5k years, and the Egyptians had the very basic technology  of simple machines (levers, pulleys incline plains) and people power. If we were able to go from that to here in 5000 years and were here around 40,000 years, what were we doing for the first 35k years?

The bible says man has been around since Adam 6000 years ago and there was nothing before that Creation week.  After a thousand years, came the flood and after than, civilization went crazy. No where in the bible does it say that any man existed before Adam, in fact it quite plainly states that He was the first. So if this person has information that says otherwise, that is not in the bible, or in agreement with the bible. That information is dubious at best

Edited by Riverwalker

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

It occurs to me that many may see this before Waggles has a chance to see and respond so here is a copy and paste from the other thread that started this....

"Before Adam (Genesis 2) God created other human beings (Genesis 1). 

There is a great deal of evidence in archaeology and anthropology to indicate 40,000 is the history of "modern" human beings. 

So the first peoples of creation were hunters and gatherers and of different racial types. Thus the diversity of humankind is not a story of evolution. "

Edited by hdtwice

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

22 minutes ago, hdtwice said:

This is a question that was being addressed in another thread and so as to not hijack that thread, it was suggested to start a new conversation so here it is.

Waggles has stated that there was earlier man than Adam and history goes back 40k years.  Several asked how he came to that conclusion and we were just starting to get some answers when Waggles suggested a different thread for this so Waggles if you would expand on this..thank you.

Possibly Adam and Eve are symbolic of all mankind, and history DOES go back 40,000 years - actually billions of years.

Possibly Adam and Eve are who the Bible say the are, literally, and the Lord created a world that only APPEARED to be 40,000 years old - actually billions of years old.

• Thumbs Up 2

50 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

Possibly Adam and Eve are symbolic of all mankind, and history DOES go back 40,000 years - actually billions of years.

Possibly Adam and Eve are who the Bible say the are, literally, and the Lord created a world that only APPEARED to be 40,000 years old - actually billions of years old.

God has been very clear about when and how He created everything. It is only desire to meld the "wisdom" of man with the WISDOM of God that allows this speculation to occur.

Believe God Or Believe man, but do NOT try and change God to fit man's belief

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Riverwalker said:

God has been very clear about when and how He created everything. It is only desire to meld the "wisdom" of man with the WISDOM of God that allows this speculation to occur.

Believe God Or Believe man, but do NOT try and change God to fit man's belief

I think God uses symbolism sometimes. Here is an example: 

He reached from on high, he took me,
he drew me out of many waters. Psalm 18:16 RSV

10 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

I think God uses symbolism sometimes. Here is an example: 

He reached from on high, he took me,
he drew me out of many waters. Psalm 18:16 RSV

Yes He does....to explain spiritual things that have no reference in the natural world.

That does not apply to creation, nor was God at all ambivilent

He spoke there was light

He spoke the day and night were separated

He spoke the waters and seas separated

He spoke and the sun and the moon were

He spoke and the birds and fish were 

He spoke and the land animals were

He made man from the dust of the earth, breathed life into him and called him Adam

and He said He did in 6 days

Now is God a liar,

Was He teasing us?

Or did he mean what he said.

What is your source if not God?  Science? Man? The same people who have claimed that life spontaneously erupted from no life, for no reason, nor purpose and no cause?

I don't think so.

That's my take

Edited by Riverwalker
  • Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, Riverwalker said:

Yes He does....to explain spiritual things that have no reference in the natural world.

That does not apply to creation, nor was God at all ambivilent

He spoke there was light

He spoke the day and night were separated

He spoke the waters and seas separated

He spoke and the sun and the moon were

He spoke and the birds and fish were 

He spoke and the land animals were

He made man from the dust of the earth, breathed life into him and called him Adam

and He said He did in 6 days

Now is God a liar,

Was He teasing us?

Or did he mean what he said.

What is your source if not God?  Science? Man? The same people who have claimed that life spontaneously erupted from no life, for no reason, nor purpose and no cause?

I don't think so.

That's my take

Science says the world is billions of years old, but God could have created a world that only appeared to be billions of years old. So is the creation story literal or symbolic? You believe it is literal. One thing I know for sure: I wasn't there.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.86
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, hdtwice said:

It occurs to me that many may see this before Waggles has a chance to see and respond so here is a copy and paste from the other thread that started this....

"Before Adam (Genesis 2) God created other human beings (Genesis 1). 

There is a great deal of evidence in archaeology and anthropology to indicate 40,000 is the history of "modern" human beings. 

So the first peoples of creation were hunters and gatherers and of different racial types. Thus the diversity of humankind is not a story of evolution. "

It is true that archaeology indicates people's existing prior to the Ussher-derived timeline (i.e approximately 6000 year old). Genesis itself does not internally date itself. Even Ussher's timeline (I believe) relies on non-Biblical date sources.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,078
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 hour ago, johnthebaptist said:

So is the creation story literal or symbolic? 

For something to be symbolic the literal must first exist.

Question 1: If Adam and Eve are just symbolic and not literal at what point in the Biblical genealogies which include Adam do the others named become literal?

Question 2: If Adam is a just metaphor for man and not literal, is the son he begat in his likeness also just a metaphor and not literal?

Gen 5:1-3  This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;  (2)  Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.  (3)  And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:

Luk 3:38  Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1