• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  673
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

I believe that once we sin, we create the desire to sin further. In other words, it's addictive. We need to overcome that desire.

I don't see a sin nature in the Christian. The Christ wiped it clean.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

11 minutes ago, Peterlag said:

This young preacher I was telling you about (Andrew Farley) has an awesome teaching on this Romans 7 that I believe is his part 4 on the new creation where he explains in even greater detail than what I understood how Paul was talking about his life before he had the spirit of Christ.

and under what auspices or authority do you think Paul is talking in past tense?  "Oh wretched man that I AM" Not..was.  Preachers are great but unless you can demonstrate it scripturally, opinion does not hold the authority of scripture

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Peterlag said:

I don't see verses written to the Christian saying to confess. I see Scripture written to the believer saying...

They are not the only scriptures in the NT.

And despite the motherhood statements of doctrine in your favoured verses they do not of themselves deny all the other scriptures pertaining to the need to overcome and deny our carnal selves and to stay renewed through repentance and contrition daily. 

It is Jesus who covers our sins by his blood because the Father has given us of his holy Spirit - not because we do not have a sin nature anymore.

1 hour ago, Riverwalker said:

and under what auspices or authority do you think Paul is talking in past tense?  "Oh wretched man that I AM" Not..was.  Preachers are great but unless you can demonstrate it scripturally, opinion does not hold the authority of scripture

In my mind the 4 verses below fit perfectly. Every single person I know has told me about Romans 7 when I tell them I do not believe Paul taught about a "sin nature" for the Christian. What Paul talks about in the seventh chapter of Romans is what occurs to the believer who still thinks the Law applies to them. They end up spiritually dying by the commandment and realize that the commandment does not produce life. The war is with their flesh because they are still believing the Law has power over them. In the eighth chapter of Romans is where it explains how we overcome this whole issue by living in the spirit and being dead to the Law. We cannot live by faith in what Christ has done for us and still think our obedience to written laws are necessary. To do so takes away from the perfect work of Christ and places salvation and righteousness back in our own hands.

Romans 6:2
How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Romans 6:6
Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

Galatians 5:16,18
This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

18 minutes ago, Waggles said:

They are not the only scriptures in the NT.

And despite the motherhood statements of doctrine in your favoured verses they do not of themselves deny all the other scriptures pertaining to the need to overcome and deny our carnal selves and to stay renewed through repentance and contrition daily. 

It is Jesus who covers our sins by his blood because the Father has given us of his holy Spirit - not because we do not have a sin nature anymore.

Do you have a verse that says Jesus covered our sins. Because it is written in Romans 6 where much of this subject is covered that he died to or unto sin.

Romans 6:11
Likewise reckon ye also yourself to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

New International Version
In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

English Standard Version
So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.

Berean Study Bible
So you too must count yourselves dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

Berean Literal Bible
So also you, consider yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but living to God in Christ Jesus.

King James Bible
Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

New King James Version
Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

New American Standard Bible
So you too, consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

NASB 1995
Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

NASB 1977
Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

Amplified Bible
Even so, consider yourselves to be dead to sin [and your relationship to it broken], but alive to God [in unbroken fellowship with Him] in Christ Jesus.

Christian Standard Bible
So, you too consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
So, you too consider yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

American Standard Version
Even so reckon ye also yourselves to be dead unto sin, but alive unto God in Christ Jesus.

Douay-Rheims Bible
So do you also reckon, that you are dead to sin, but alive unto God, in Christ Jesus our Lord.

English Revised Version
Even so reckon ye also yourselves to be dead unto sin, but alive unto God in Christ Jesus.

Literal Standard Version
so also you, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, and living to God in Jesus Christ our Lord.

NET Bible
So you too consider yourselves dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

New Heart English Bible
In the same way, consider yourselves dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

Weymouth New Testament
In the same way you also must regard yourselves as dead in relation to sin, but as alive in relation to God, because you are in Christ Jesus.

World English Bible
Thus consider yourselves also to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Young's Literal Translation
so also ye, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to the sin, and living to God in Jesus Christ our Lord.

1 hour ago, Peterlag said:

Holman Christian Standard Bible
So, you too consider yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

OK I think we are sort of all saying the same thing but using different language.

I get where you are coming from @Peterlag but your claim to having no sin nature and not sinning at all just comes across too good to be true.

I am perfect in all my ways [just ask my beautiful granddaughters] but even I do err [occasionally] and do wrong. I know this by conscience and also the Spirit within grieves me and informs me that what I have thought or done is not pleasing to God. 

So even though I am such a goody goody I need to pray in the Spirit, confess and be contrite. Then all is forgiven and I move on. 

2 hours ago, Peterlag said:

Do you have a verse that says Jesus covered our sins. Because it is written in Romans 6 where much of this subject is covered that he died to or unto sin.

Rev 7:13  Then one of the elders addressed me, saying, “Who are these, clothed in white robes, and from where have they come?” 
7:14  I said to him, “Sir, you know.” And he said to me, “These are the ones coming out of the great tribulation. They have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. 

Rev 12:11  And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death.

Hebrews 9:12  he [Jesus] entered once for all into the holy places, not by means of the blood of goats and calves but by means of his own blood, thus securing an eternal redemption. 
9:13  For if the blood of goats and bulls, and the sprinkling of defiled persons with the ashes of a heifer, sanctify for the purification of the flesh, 
9:14  how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God. 

Romans 4:5 And to one who does not work but trusts him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness. 6 So also David pronounces a blessing upon the man to whom God reckons righteousness apart from works:

7 “Blessed are those whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered;
8 blessed is the man against whom the Lord will not reckon his sin.”  [Psalm 32:1-2]

Edited by Waggles

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  478
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,565
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  9

We can and still sin. Only we should be becoming more in the image of christ day by day. Its a process of being changed by the holy spirit.