• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

Let’s say your daughter is kidnapped. The kidnapper calls you and says you have to pay a million dollars to get your daughter back. He says he will call you later to tell you where to take the money. He says that if you call the police, you will never see your daughter again. You call the police. Then the kidnapper calls you back, tells you were to take the money, and asks you if you called the police. You say, “No.” You take the money where the kidnapper told you to take it, and the kidnapper is caught by the police. Will you go to hell for lying to the kidnapper?

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest AFlameOfFire

Although Judas told the truth as to where the disciples resorted with Jesus and was considered a betrayer

• Group:  Non-Trinitarian
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  299
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

Lol.... Seems like an exceptional exception to the rule....yet being for the sake of the wellbeing of a child is sorta a given given the placement of children in the sight of the Lord.

Guest AFlameOfFire

Just as Rahab let the spies down through a window likewise was Paul the apostle let down through a window by someone covering his rear when the governing authorites were coming for him (See both Josh 2:14 & 2 Corinth 11:32-33)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Lying is a sin.  But  lying in and of  itself does not send one to hell.  What sends one to hell is the rejection of Jesus Christ.

Yes, Rahab lied and it spared the lives of the two spies.  But  she was NOT commended for the lie.  In the New Testament, both the author of Hebrews and James, the brother of Jesus,  both listed her as an example of great faith.  

• Hebrews 11:31 - By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace.
  • James 2:25 - Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent [them] out another way?

No mention  of lying. Just peace, protection, and hospitality.

If my family were in danger and my telling a lie would save them, I would lie my head off.  I would have to repent  of it, and I would.

Guest AFlameOfFire

Although unlike Abraham's wife (who was also his sister) Isaac did the same thing with Abimelech telling him that Rebecca was his sister as well, and that wasn't to save anyone's life but his own (Just as Abraham did) but Abraham was telling the truth (but just a half truth) because if he leaned on the part that Sarah was his wife they would have likely killed him (for her) but he leaned on the other part (that she is my sister) which she was also  (though not sharing both the same parents). Which makes sense he did so, since theres no reason to kill her brother to marry her (they would have shown her brother, in this case Abraham) favor to get in good with Sarah. 

Good thing God stepped in there

Edited by AFlameOfFire

Guest AFlameOfFire

I believe the half truth and the lie in these sort of things is referred to as "a kindness" (Genesis 20:13 & also with Rahab in Joshua 2:23) who also save the spies seent by Joshua alive.

She might have told an untruth (to save a life) but she really DID nothing against the truth in the sense she was bringing no harm to anyone who belonged to the Lord.

She as well as whoever it was covering for Paul could have betrayed those who belonged to the Lord rather then the governing authorities in their time (who were looking for these more specifically) but they did not. 

Obadiah hid a hundred of the Lords prophets from the persecution in their time also. Although I dont see any lie being uttered specifically he was just not being forthright about undermining those looking for them.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  670
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

Side-step it. Say "You told me not to call the Police! Do you think I am an idiot?!!!!"

Remember when the Pharisees tried to trap Jesus by asking him if it was legal to pay taxes? He answered with a question.

Not all questions deserve a Yes or No answer.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,323
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  5

Let the wicked fall into their own traps, while I walk away unharmed.”
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭141:10‬ 

“I did nothing wrong, but they tried to trap me. For no reason at all, they dug a pit to catch me. So let them fall into their own traps. Let them stumble into their own nets. Let some unknown danger catch them. Then I will rejoice in the Lord. I will be happy when he saves me. With my whole self I will say, “ Lord, there is no one like you. You protect the poor from those who are stronger. You save the poor and helpless from those who try to rob them.””
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭35:7-10‬ ‭

“He catches those who think they are wise in their own clever traps and brings to an end their evil plans.”
‭‭Job‬ ‭5:13‬ ‭

• Praise God! 1