• Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

19 hours ago, DeighAnn said:

Thank you so much for forwarding that, I will  go back and read it again but this caught my eye and I think/hope you can answer a question I have and  that is how does (or does it at all?)  'the wailing wall'   figure into the 70AD thing?  

Well, that is a bit outside of my knowledge or expertise, so take what I am about to say with a grain of salt, I'll tell you what I believe is the case, mostly from what I think I recall from my visit there in the mid-eighties.

The Temple Mount is decently large, and there was a retaining wall built around it. The western part of the wall, still has a lot of it existing, but there are buildings built right up against it for much of it's length. There is a short section (of the southern part of the western wall - if memory serves me correctly) which is exposed, clear of obstruction. This is where Jews go and mourn the loss of their Holy site. They are not allowed up on the top area where the temple used to be. Part of that I think, is a legal restriction, as it is under Moslem control, but it is also because Jews do not want to go to where the Holy of Holies was, since only the High Priest was allowed there, and they do not know where that used to be on the temple mount. This section of wall, is the closest the can freely get, to the old temple site.

Also I should point out, that the Jews to not call that site where they mourn and weep "the wailing wall". To them I think, it sounds like we are making fun of them for being cry-babies about something dear to their heart and soul. They gather there, grieve, pray, kiss the stones, and stuff little bits of paper into the cracks, which I believe contain prayers.

There are two buildings on a level higher up on the mount - a Mosque, and the Dome of the Rock. For those who believe that another Jewish temple will be built, these buildings, holy to Islam, will present quite an obstacle. If my sense of direction correct, these buildings are northeast of the section people refer to as the wailing wall.

So your question, "how does it fit in?" I do not think that the western wall plays in much. As I said, the wall around the area is a retaining wall, also a foundation perhaps in some places. What Jesus predicted, and what came to pass, was the the stones of the temple would be razed to the ground, and apparently, they were. I do not know if Josephus visited the place (Roman/Jewish historian contemporary in time with the apostle Paul as I recall), but he said that the destruction was so complete, that you could not tell that it had ever been inhabited.

I do not know if we can get him to chime in here or not, but the founder of this site, George, is no slouch on the topic of prophecy and has lived in Israel, for a number of years. He could probably speak to all of this with much better knowledge than I posses!

@George

Does this answer your question DeighAnn?

• Thumbs Up 1