• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  9,608
  • Content Per Day:  3.90
  • Days Won:  21

2 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

So now one who is thinking of divorce has something to think about. If you divorce will you stay single until your spouse dies having orders from the Bible to do so unless it is due to sexual sin, or does your conscious tell you it’s okay to divorce over another matter and seek out another marriage. The choice is truly yours. 

Yes. God is often giving us choices like this. I do not think He is as concerned about it as are many powerless believers. Problem is, we resort to chapter and verse when the Spirit seems to have left. We do not seem capable of offering comfort - just proof texts.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest clancy
2 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

So now one who is thinking of divorce has something to think about. If you divorce will you stay single until your spouse dies having orders from the Bible to do so unless it is due to sexual sin, or does your conscious tell you it’s okay to divorce over another matter and seek out another marriage. The choice is truly yours. 

Hey Sis, I have been divorced time x2....when God saved me, I gave my life to,God, ..my belief is , if I am meant to marry again ,He will bring me a husband, he knows what is best for me...if he doesn’t....so be it, I would never look for a husband by myself.?...I have been divorced 30yrs plus.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,323
  • Content Per Day:  1.03
  • Days Won:  5

9 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

Problem is, we resort to chapter and verse when the Spirit seems to have left. We do not seem capable of offering comfort - just proof texts.

I am not sure if you are clearly disagreeing with me or not but I want to be clear.

If a married person is trying to decide wether to divorce over a matter other than sexual sin I would advise them not to unless they will remain single until their spouse dies because that is what I have read, believe is right, and it’s what I have done myself. 

This to me is being loving because I’m advising them as if it were me myself. We are to love others as ourselves.

Edited by Hopefully

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  4

2 hours ago, Justin Adams said:

My God forgives EVERY SIN, yes, even divorce and remarriage!

Yes He does, no argument, but that does not allow us to excuse the sin

30 minutes ago, Riverwalker said:

Yes He does, no argument, but that does not allow us to excuse the sin

I presume nobody has NOT sinned in the last 24 hours then.

Amazing how many Pharisees jump on this and ignore the sins they are currently committing...

Edited by Justin Adams
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,996
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,693
  • Content Per Day:  11.69
  • Days Won:  226

3 hours ago, Amigo42 said:

We all know what the standard Christian answer is to this question, but in reality we all know half of all "Christian" marriages end in divorce.  Sometimes it works out for the better.  If you're not truly in love, is that fair to stay with that person keeping them from finding that?  

Then why did you get married in the first place if you do not love the person? If you divorce you are breaking your marriage vows. You are also going again what God says is acceptable for divorce. 

33 minutes ago, Riverwalker said:

us to excuse the sin

OH. Silly me, and I thought it was a sin against God.

Edited by Justin Adams

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  2,306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.51
  • Content Count:  4,431
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/11/1947

3 hours ago, Amigo42 said:

We all know what the standard Christian answer is to this question, but in reality we all know half of all "Christian" marriages end in divorce.  Sometimes it works out for the better.  If you're not truly in love, is that fair to stay with that person keeping them from finding that?  

Please, before I answer, let me just say this:

To me now is a difference between knowing the scriptures and actually applying them to your life whether in a marriage or not, because of any selfish hidden reasons, if any, like as you have said.

The eyes of the Lord are in every place, but why marry in the first place, like I did, but I was in-love with two wives, and the 3rd. I thought by knowing the LORD it would make the difference, and now with the 4th. 

From my experience, I know it would be fair to stay with that wife according to the words of the LORD.

Love always, Walter

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,249
  • Content Per Day:  1.88
  • Days Won:  20

I can only add my testimony and my belief to this.  My first marriage took place when I was 19 years old and 6 months pregnant.  It was a horrible marriage as he did not want to marry me but felt obligated because of the baby and his parents pressure to do the right thing.  We were completely incompatible at all levels and neither of us had a solid relationship with Jesus.  We both knew God existed but that was about it.  Even at this time I was seeking the Lord but he was not.  The marriage lasted 9 years though we separated and lived apart many times during that 9 years.  There was adultery on both parts during the marriage separations.   The marriage ended when I became born-again and he told me he wanted no part of my new found religion.  The marriage and the divorce were done before the eyes of man.  It was not a valid marriage in the eyes of God as He was not a part of our daily lives or our marriage.  

I then married a Christian man and we have been married for 38 years. 

My first marriage was not a marriage in the eyes of God as we were not living a Godly lifestyle.   Though there were wedding vows those vows were not seen, heard, or blessed by God.  The second set of vows was done with God, before God, and was a sacrament before God.  It was a valid contract and we remain faithful to that contract.

Not everyone will agree with how I see and understand marriage and the commitment made, through the eyes of God. During the first decade of my second marriage The Holy Spirit comforted me by telling me I was forgiven for my divorce.  He explained that the sacrament of marriage is only valid in His eyes if both are walking in relationship with Him.  Without Him the marriage vows are only valid in the eyes of man.  Anyone who walks with the Lord, and their spouse walks with the Lord, and they say the vows of the sacrament of marriage before God, is held to the contract for life.  Unless there is adultery in this marriage.  If there is adultery, He will forgive adultery, but forgiveness also needs to be given to the offender if at all possible.  Couples walking with the Lord should do everything possible to save the marriage.  The vows said before God should be held on to until there is absolutely no hope for survival of the marriage.  There is forgiveness for all sin when our heart is true to the Lord.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,556
  • Content Per Day:  7.15
  • Days Won:  100

5 hours ago, Amigo42 said:

The standard answer isn't an answer. Judgment tempered with mercy is our calling --- righteous judgment --- and this isn't delivered according to the dictates of ritual nor dogma. We must listen and weigh every matter carefully, never forgetting that mercy triumphs over justice. 

Mercy triumphs over justice, the lesson delivered to us by the Law and revealed in our Lord Jesus Christ, whom our Father in heaven sent in the fulness of time to redeem us from the penalty of the law. The mercy of God toward us is unfathomable: we who were once strangers, through the adoption as sons and daughters, are seated with the Son of God in the heavenly places. 

Let us judge according to our place. Quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to anger.

There's a difference between "in love" and love. The former is emotive and invites the participation of this flesh (hormones) while the latter is of God, encouraging us to mortify the flesh and lay down our lives for others. Indeed, love is never selfish and issues no demand upon others. Love is not a burden slung around the neck like a millstone. 

I encourage husbands and wives to endure seasons of plenty and scarcity because "in love" comes and goes like the wind but love endures every season. I'm speaking of the faithful; every effort should be made to preserve the marriage but if this avails nothing, part peacefully withholding nothing good from the other. Don't be greedy nor covetous. If a husband or wife wishes to depart then we should grant their wish no matter how painful that might prove to be.

Mercy triumphs over justice. If one is divorced and the Lord permits, sending a husband or wife into their life once more, then the gift of God ought to be received with gladness and joy. I speak only for myself: I don't think it's wise to seek a husband or wife at any time.  

Edited by Marathoner
  • Well Said! 1