IGNORED

Was the flood a worldwide flood or a flood of the known world?

Amigo42

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,031
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  3

3 minutes ago, PeterR said:

I thought you were talking about solid world above it

I was. I just threw in that link because it was a discussion about Firmament beyond the bible description. This might be a better one:

https://biologos.org/articles/the-firmament-of-genesis-1-is-solid-but-thats-not-the-point/

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  266
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

7 hours ago, Still Alive said:

I'm talking strictly about the scientific ramifications. He didn't impart 24th century scientific knowledge on any writers of the bible or any writers today. Future readers need to consume it within that context.

My point is simply that the bible is not a science book. And if we discover things that absolutely prove that the flood was worldwide - or was NOT worldwide - one side of this thing has to either admit they were wrong or go into cognitive dissidence mode and try to defend the indefensible. That is never a good look, no matter who is wearing it.

In the meantime, as far as I'm concerned, it covered the "whole earth", depending on what the author meant by that phrase. :)

You make a good point.  We don't truly understand what a writer 4000 years ago truly meant.  We're trying to understand a millenia old book with modern knowledge.  

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  684
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  0

23 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

I have my own distinguished credentials; in my eight years of high school, freshman through senor years, all of my teachers formerly told me, "I was their best 'F' student they ever had." I was voted the most likely, and only person in history, never to achieve a single thing! Who needs a sheepskin anyway?

Smartness is not measured by peoples ability to recall/recite what teachers tell you. It is measured by the ability to think critically about the world we live in and how it relates to the Word of God.

So, in my book, that makes you light years ahead of 99% of the (P)iled (H)igh and (D)eep intellects that come out of universities today. As one one minister said one time, "there are people who have been educated beyond their intellect and ability to understand". He was/is correct in that assessment and we are witnessing how stupid educated people can be when they reject God and make their own gods.

There may be some typos and bad grammar in this post, but I trust you understand what I am attempting to convey to you.

Grace & Peace . . . . Ray

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  910
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,667
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  9

On 5/24/2021 at 9:29 AM, Amigo42 said:

This is just food for thought, but what do you all think?  When the Bible says that the flood was worldwide was it referring to the known world at that time or literally the entire world?  If the entire world, then what purpose since humans only inhabited a relatively small region at that time?  To them, this was the entire world that had flooded because they didn't know anything else.  What do you all think?

Institute for Creation Research answers this in droves.

https://www.icr.org/noahs-flood/

Edited by JohnD