• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  86
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/15/1960

I was reading "Old Paths" by J. C. Ryle and in it he wrote "I have a right to say that anyone and everyone may be saved." J. C. Ryle was a Calvinist and I thought Calvinists believed that only the elect were or would be saved or am I wrong? 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

40 minutes ago, Berean said:

I was reading "Old Paths" by J. C. Ryle and in it he wrote "I have a right to say that anyone and everyone may be saved." J. C. Ryle was a Calvinist and I thought Calvinists believed that only the elect were or would be saved or am I wrong? 

Yes, everyone who believes in Jesus Christ the Risen Son of God can be saved.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.55
  • Days Won:  12

58 minutes ago, Berean said:

I don't know for certain, but he might have meant that Jesus' atonement was sufficient in value to save everyone, if that had been God's intention, even though it is efficient only for the elect; or, he might have been an Amyraldian, which was generally regarded, by Reformed theologians, as somewhat erroneous but not so bad as to be heretical (unlike Arminianism).

25 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Yes, everyone who believes in Jesus Christ the Risen Son of God can be saved.

Everyone who believes in Jesus Christ will be saved; but, who will believe?  Those whom the Lord chose for salvation, before the foundation of the world; then he gives them repentance and faith, at his appointed time, when he gets the gospel to them.

2 Thess. 2:12-14 (KJV)

12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
  13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
  14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, David1701 said:

Everyone who believes in Jesus Christ will be saved; but, who will believe?  Those whom the Lord chose for salvation, before the foundation of the world; then he gives them repentance and faith, at his appointed time, when he gets the gospel to them.

2 Thess. 2:12-14 (KJV)

12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
  13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
  14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

God knows who will believe and who will spend eternity with Him. He knows everyone's heart. 

Just now, missmuffet said:

God knows who will believe and who will spend eternity with Him. He knows everyone's heart. 

This is certainly true; however, it is also true that it is God who gives faith in Jesus Christ.  Sinful, hostile to God, light-hating man does not generate his own faith...

11 minutes ago, David1701 said:

This is certainly true; however, it is also true that it is God who gives faith in Jesus Christ.  Sinful, hostile to God, light-hating man does not generate his own faith...

God is the only one who can open the heart to Jesus Christ. We can pray for a person's salvation but only God can save. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Everyone has the ability to be saved. It's a choice. Yes, GOD knows who will accept His free gift, but that doesn't mean everyone didn't have a choice.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

Yep everyone CAN be saved and it is a Choice (but not everyone  will make it)

Hebrews 10:10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

John 3:16 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

I see no exclusions here

As far as why Calvinists believe that seems to be a little hard to pin down sometimes. there are many varieties (which often happens when men start making the rules) 

Edited by Riverwalker
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Content Per Day:  2.44
  • Days Won:  11

Ephesians 2:8-10

8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

I believe that Salvation is only by our Father’s grace, His unmerited favor.  Christ freely died for the ungodly. Grace is a free gift — and no matter how great a sin, our Father’s greater Grace can pardon it upon a contrite heart of confession.

I also believe that before we can receive our Father’s gracious free gift, we must have faith.  ....but this faith must be accompanied by the knowledge of what our dear Savior accomplished on the Cross.  This is crucial because a person cannot believe or have faith in what he does not know.

Edited by Selah7
  • Praise God! 1