IGNORED

Are we truly in the unity of faith here?

Riverwalker

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,323
  • Content Per Day:  1.03
  • Days Won:  5

Thank you for this post. Posts like this should continue to come up periodically as long as these problems persist as a reminder to us.

One thing I think causes problems is the quote button but only when it’s used to disagree. I think so because it makes things personal maybe. Rather than address the original post I have seen some come in and start quoting people to disagree with them. The way I see it the quote button is not necessary to disagree. We could simply post what our thoughts are without attaching someone to it then although we disagree we have not made it personal.

Thats what I have been thinking and so that’s what I do when I disagree- I just post what I have to say without addressing a particular person. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  11

I think the Oy vey! reaction button should disappear, too.  Not too nice and makes people angry. :foot-stomp: 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  217
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  0

I would like to add Paul’s sage advice to Timothy.  It should be a banner across the top of the forums—or at the very least a mental sticky note. 

2 Timothy 2:23

23 But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife.

In my opinion, they generate disinterest as well.  When I notice posters belaboring their points in stubborn pursuit of the last word, accusing each other of not “rightly dividing the word of truth” properly, I lose interest in the thread altogether.  Give me the Bible with its real wisdom—not foolish babble. 

Ecclesiastes 10:11-14

11 A serpent may bite when it is not charmed;
The babbler is no different.
12 The words of a wise man’s mouth are gracious,
But the lips of a fool shall swallow him up;
13 The words of his mouth begin with foolishness,
And the end of his talk is raving madness.
14 A fool also multiplies words.
No man knows what is to be;
Who can tell him what will be after him?

May we all choose our words carefully, knowing we are accountable for the careless things we say. (Matthew 12:36)

• Thumbs Up 2

Guest clancy
8 hours ago, Hopefully said:

Thank you for this post. Posts like this should continue to come up periodically as long as these problems persist as a reminder to us.

One thing I think causes problems is the quote button but only when it’s used to disagree. I think so because it makes things personal maybe. Rather than address the original post I have seen some come in and start quoting people to disagree with them. The way I see it the quote button is not necessary to disagree. We could simply post what our thoughts are without attaching someone to it then although we disagree we have not made it personal.

Thats what I have been thinking and so that’s what I do when I disagree- I just post what I have to say without addressing a particular person. 

I agree, when it gets personal, but, aren’t we supposed to receive correction from others, I do find that very difficult, being honest, because it’s the way some address my error, it’s like, they are superior,i sometimes wonder if they are here to Glorify God or themselves, I Love God correcting me, because he does it perfectly, I know this is my own problem, and need to ask God to help me receive correction from those who are more knowledgeable,  I also believe heart knowledge is just as important, I also struggle with these words, “ You are Wrong”......I also know I need to study more.?.....

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  1,323
  • Content Per Day:  1.03
  • Days Won:  5

28 minutes ago, clancy said:

aren’t we supposed to receive correction

Yes we are but I think the gist of this post is arguing and or being rude. “Some” of the corrections I see given here are opinion and not necessarily correct themselves, but if it is truly a correction then it’s good for all to see and still does not require a quote in my opinion. 

I cannot learn from anyone who does not show the fruit of the Spirit themselves. 

Edited by Hopefully
  • Well Said! 1

Guest clancy
1 hour ago, Hopefully said:

Yes we are but I think the gist of this post is arguing and or being rude. “Some” of the corrections I see given here are opinion and not necessarily correct themselves, but if it is truly a correction then it’s good for all to see and still does not require a quote in my opinion. 

I cannot learn from anyone who does not show the fruit of the Spirit themselves. 

Yes, I agree.

your second sentence really spoke to me, I am exactly the same, they can still show the fruit of the Spirit, even when being  corrected, Jesus did, unfortunately or maybe fortunately, i ignore those who don’t show the fruit of the Spirit,.... when they get personal, you just know that their “ self” has taken over.

i also get the impression from some on here, if you aren’t one of the elect like they are, you’re below them, that has been my observation of many posts I have read by certain members, that God favours

them.?

No no one knows how God saves, my friend was saved completely different to me....

i can only understand my own saving by God, no one else understands it, how can they, they weren’t there when I was saved.

I also had another friend, who kept saying no to God, but then she submitted to him....her testimony was really interesting to listen to.

Edited by clancy

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,298
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

On 6/4/2021 at 12:32 PM, Heleadethme said:

The kingdom is not about talk but about power, but on forums we are very limited...all we can do really is talk, and that only in writing.  God can still use it though...I know I've learned a lot, as well as stayed engaged, been encouraged, searched the scrips a lot, and my discernment has grown leaps and bounds due to my involvement on forums, which wouldn't have happened in churches because in churches there are other kinds of limitations.  I find there is generally a lot more freedom for people to speak their mind on forums than in churches....personally I'd rather see freedom with friction than no freedom without friction.

"my discernment has grown leaps and bounds due to my involvement on forums"

You bring up a good point, Heleadethme, I hadn't considered. And I have learned much I wouldn't have by studying solo. So many other view points to ponder here, and search out.

"personally I'd rather see freedom with friction
                          than no freedom without friction"

I agree with you, and well said. My purpose joining here was to learn and also realize the spiritual areas I'm lacking knowledge, share when I have something useful. Just like our professions/trades, we all have areas we are knowledgeable and well versed, and many other areas lacking this knowledge. I can accept friction as part of meaningful thought and study, when not aimed at my or another's person.
Nothing here has changed my core doctrines, but much here has changed my understanding of fellow believers, and their struggles. Everybody is in a battle, some minor, some major. I have eaten crow (and my foot) too many times, and I don't like the taste. 
I think it's very important to realize there are some very sensitive psyches here that can not handle even a gentle disagreement, but an instant apology can defuse a major confrontation. Many of us were raised in a dysfunctional environment and do not always respond appropriately. I have to remember this and that many are working with a broken method of dealing with pain, and need our encouragement, myself included. So,

"If you're going through hell, keep going" .........default_cool2.gif.d12122e53f7781888e0dc267ecc2678f.gif
              Winston Churchill

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Content Count:  14,281
  • Content Per Day:  3.31
  • Days Won:  30

Most of us agree in the basics included in the statement of faith that Worthy agrees to.  They include the inspiration of Scripture, allowing God to be Lord of our lives, believing the the trinity were all involved in creation, that Jesus is God in human flesh, suffered for out sins arose from the dead.  The Holy Spirit was sent to indwell us and enpower us to do God's will.  

It is best to not get dogmatic about the non essentials which don't concern salvation.  Examples might be which day to worship on or methods of baptism.  Even Calvinism vs Arminiansm is a non essential.  All who have the Spirit of God living in them are saved.  Those who are dogmatic about non essentials and become divisive should take a step backwards to see if even they have Christ dwelling in them.  Party spirits are a work of the flesh.  

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Content Count:  14,281
  • Content Per Day:  3.31
  • Days Won:  30

On 6/4/2021 at 11:41 PM, Hopefully said:

All correction is good in that it keeps us humble, whether they are correct or not.  It keeps us seeking God's face for knowledge of the truth.  I am not the best person to receive such correction gracefully when they are dead wrong and lying.  Oh, well.  God continues to teach me valuable lessons in spite of them.  :whistling:

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  4

13 minutes ago, Willa said:

All correction is good in that it keeps us humble, whether they are correct or not.  It keeps us seeking God's face for knowledge of the truth.  I am not the best person to receive such correction gracefully when they are dead wrong and lying.  Oh, well.  God continues to teach me valuable lessons in spite of them.  :whistling:

I Agree

Oh for some it makes humble, and others it makes it rankles pride

I am reminded what Paul said in 2nd  Timothy

4:2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.

And 1 Corinthians 13

13: 1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

If we don't correct with the proper, loving, longsuffering attitude it can all go south quick!

Edited by Riverwalker