• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,104
  • Content Per Day:  9.70
  • Days Won:  149

9 hours ago, debrakay said:

I did find it very odd when I joined the Catholic Church for a time back in the 1970's that they divided sin into categories. Mortal sin and venial sin and then there were different sins in each of those categories.  A remember a priest telling me that "white lies" are just "little" sins.  But as I have walked with the Lord (daily) for the past 40+ years, and left the Catholic Church for non-denominational teachings in the 1980's, I have come to believe sin is sin and there are no big and little categories.  The price Jesus paid on the cross is the same for all sin, each and every one.      

You are in good company here as we have several once Catholics on Worthy. I have studied their doctrines. The only time I was in a Catholic church was for a funeral service. They hade a huge picture of the pope on a stand in the vestibule as you went in. That was very telling. Lots of good people who are all mixed up in that. I am so glad I wasn't taught any of that.

Even so, I have to sometimes correct myself in getting caught up in  that mindset. It's like when we were young and maybe little sister took 5 cookies from the cookie jar while we took only one. I would have seen myself as less deserving of a spanking, yet we both were spanked. To this day I'll admit murder looks bad, very very bad compared to almost anything else. The judicial system treats these crimes differently. Petty theft .vs murder. Big difference.

Maybe a thought for another topic?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.96
  • Days Won:  10

11 minutes ago, Starise said:

The context of 1 Cor 3 does not seem to allow for the body ( as in human body) being the main topic of that chapter. I was slightly misguided because I have heard hour long sermons preached on only 1 Cor 3:16 in regards to the body, for instance engaging in sexual sin, drug use...those kinds of things. While our bodies are described as temples, the text has more to do with the destruction of the church or temple...gathering of believers. 

God says He will destroy the person who destroys the temple. In this context this would be the person who is obviously in some way destructive to those believers who promote disunity or destructive ways to the local body of Christ. Since Paul is addressing a local assembly the message seems to be addressed to the local level of believers. The Bible clearly makes these or similar references to the universal church and those false teachers who would harm it.

That his message is to carnal Christians in the beginning of 1 Cor. doesn't seem to be a maybe. These are believers, just very poor believers spiritually. Those fed with the milk instead of the meat are not ready for deeper messages. Could this be the reason why it seems so many Christians seem to live superficially around their faith without ever getting in deep enough to know more? They want deep meanings revealed, they want to walk with Jesus, but they don't want to do what it takes for that to happen.

Paul was at the ready to deliver the meat but sadly he couldn't because of the congregation. I guess the church was till young at this point and likely going through growing pains.

I basically walk away with two key points and maybe a secondary point. Christians who are still babes in Christ need to continue to grow. Those same Christians create disunity. Some of those men are destructive to the church and will be destroyed.

If we are carnal as Christians, how do we move ahead of that to obtain the meat? 

Carnality is closely associated with sin. Repent and turn away. We need to see things with spiritual eyes not carnal eyes. 

In chapter 6 Paul talks about the individual being the temple. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,323
  • Content Per Day:  1.06
  • Days Won:  5

4 minutes ago, Whyme said:

Here too

“You should know that you yourselves are God’s temple. God’s Spirit lives in you.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭3:16‬ ‭ERV

“Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭3:16‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“So run away from sexual sin. It involves the body in a way that no other sin does. So if you commit sexual sin, you are sinning against your own body. You should know that your body is a temple for the Holy Spirit that you received from God and that lives in you. You don’t own yourselves.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭6:18-19‬ ‭ERV‬‬

“Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body. What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭6:18-19‬ ‭KJV‬‬

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Whyme said:

I agree with this but he doesn't seem to be talking about the sins we do to our bodies.

If so, I might have missed it.

20 minutes ago, Starise said:

the text has more to do with the destruction of the church or temple...gathering of believers. 

I agree the text is also talking about destroying the church but when the original post asked what defiles Gods temple I answered on the thought of our bodies being the temple. To answer on a larger scale I will say false teaching is one thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

I agree the text is also talking about destroying the church but when the original post asked what defiles Gods temple I answered on the thought of our bodies being the temple. To answer on a larger scale I will say false teaching is one thing.

I looked at your quotes and then at my text. Must be different versions. I agree with your comments about the physical body. Most sermons I hear on the text emphasize the physical body but when I read the text I'll quote here it seems to lean for me in another direction. As I said, this might be the version I'm reading.

EDIT- I see you are getting your info from 1 Cor 6....makes sense there. I was looking at the context of 1 Cor. 3

he Church and Its Leaders

Brothers and sisters, I could not address you as people who live by the Spirit but as people who are still worldly—mere infants in Christ. I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready. You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere humans? For when one says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” are you not mere human beings?

What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow. So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The one who plants and the one who waters have one purpose, and they will each be rewarded according to their own labor. For we are co-workers in God’s service; you are God’s field, God’s building.

10 By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care. 11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, 13 their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. 14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. 15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.

16 Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst? 17 If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person; for God’s temple is sacred, and you together are that temple.

18 Do not deceive yourselves. If any of you think you are wise by the standards of this age, you should become “fools” so that you may become wise. 19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God’s sight. As it is written: “He catches the wise in their craftiness”[a]; 20 and again, “The Lord knows that the thoughts of the wise are futile.”[b] 21 So then, no more boasting about human leaders! All things are yours, 22 whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas[c] or the world or life or death or the present or the future—all are yours, 23 and you are of Christ, and Christ is of God.

Edited by Starise
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Starise said:

I agree with this but he doesn't seem to be talking about the sins we do to our bodies.

If so, I might have missed it.

He talks about sexual immorality. 

26 minutes ago, Starise said:

Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst? 

I see yes the version you have says in your midst while others say in you. You are right that Chapter 3 is referring to the church more so than individual bodies but chapter 3 verse 16, and chapter 6 is saying we also are the temple of God, so to destroy Gods temple can be done with the church as a whole or on an individual level. Seems to just depend on which chapter leads us to answer the question. 

Edited by Hopefully
Corrected chapters
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Whyme said:

He talks about sexual immorality. 

Whyme we were looking at two different places in 1 Cor. What context were you thinking of when you made the topic? One of my searches took me to 1 Cor. 3.

1 Cor 6 seems to be the text used to describe the physical body as the temple. Maybe they cross paths in meaning? I see 1 Cor as mainly about another subject.

4 minutes ago, Starise said:

Whyme we were looking at two different places in 1 Cor. What context were you thinking of when you made the topic? One of my searches took me to 1 Cor. 3.

1 Cor 6 seems to be the text used to describe the physical body as the temple. Maybe they cross paths in meaning? I see 1 Cor as mainly about another subject.

I suppose i was referring to chapter 6 and 3. I see your point about chapter 3, but my focus is on anything to do with the temple of the holy spirit.