• Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  535
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/02/1957

I thought we were talking about Paul?

You said he made up rules.

If you believe he did, please explain why you believe this.

If you believe he didn't, please explain why you made that statement.

I'm not looking for a fight. I just want to be informed. If there's something I missed, I would really like to know.

Later :emot-questioned:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Does it really matter? or am I missing something? :emot-handshake:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes it does matter. If it didn't matter why would Paul even bring it up? Why would he say it's a dishonor for a man to have long hair and then turn around and say it's ok?

I started a thread about this a few months ago. Total chaos. It went nowhere and everywhere. The only thing that thread accomplished was a lot of name calling and mud slinging. I will not go there again. If you want to know the reasons for my belief's, drop my an email. If not...that's ok too.

Anyway...just thought I'd throw this out there.

As always...In His name. :b:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, if its sinful for a man to have womanly long hair, then the Sinless One wouldn't have had hair too long, n'est ce pas? Seems pretty obvious to me...I'm sure his hair was perfectly acceptable for a man.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At what point did "womanly" long hair become womanly? Nazarites did not cut their hair at all. :emot-questioned:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I posted something on that issue earlier, actually...pointing out that the definition of long hair has changed over the years, for both men and women.

I have never heard that Nazarenes didn't cut their hair at all, though...could you please direct me to a reference which says this?

I have long hair and my wife loves to run her fingers through it...........1st Cor 11:16But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God. .........and that;s the rest of the story :wub:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like my man to have longer hair, too...still prefer mine to be longer than his, though :noidea:

• Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,065
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/03/1958

Amen avenaue :noidea:

Jesus is always depicted as an Italian? Isn't he a Nazarene? sheesh... :emot-questioned:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only in art :emot-handshake: If you look at most of the paintings of old which were done by italian artist, they even give Jesus the facial charateristics of italian instead of Jewish. I am not saying that they say He is italian, just make Him look as if He is. :wub:

Iryssa,Aug 17 2005, 11:18 PM]

Well, if its sinful for a man to have womanly long hair, then the Sinless One wouldn't have had hair too long, n'est ce pas? Seems pretty obvious to me...I'm sure his hair was perfectly acceptable for a man.

That's a good point, Iryssa. :emot-questioned:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where does it say that it is a "sin" to have long hair?

Gerioke  Yesterday, 08:24 PM Post #25 

Was Jesus a Nazarite? Did they still do that in His time? He was the first born. 

It really doesnt say nor imply that He was, however, John the baptist had all the characteristics of a Nazerite.

I posted something on that issue earlier, actually...pointing out that the definition of long hair has changed over the years, for both men and women.

I have never heard that Nazarenes didn't cut their hair at all, though...could you please direct me to a reference which says this?

Hi Iryssa,

Your confusing a Nazarene with a Nazarite :emot-questioned: Anyway the scripture you seek can be found in Numbers.

Numbers 6

1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When either man or woman shall separate themselves to vow a vow of a Nazarite, to separate themselves unto the LORD:

3 He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried.

4 All the days of his separation shall he eat nothing that is made of the vine tree, from the kernels even to the husk.

5 All the days of the vow of his separation there shall no razor come upon his head: until the days be fulfilled, in the which he separateth himself unto the LORD, he shall be holy, and shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow.

6 All the days that he separateth himself unto the LORD he shall come at no dead body.

7 He shall not make himself unclean for his father, or for his mother, for his brother, or for his sister, when they die: because the consecration of his God is upon his head.

8 All the days of his separation he is holy unto the LORD.

9 And if any man die very suddenly by him, and he hath defiled the head of his consecration; then he shall shave his head in the day of his cleansing, on the seventh day shall he shave it.

• Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Hi Iryssa,

Your confusing a Nazarene with a Nazarite :emot-handshake: Anyway the scripture you seek can be found in Numbers.

Numbers 6

1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When either man or woman shall separate themselves to vow a vow of a Nazarite, to separate themselves unto the LORD:

3 He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried.

4 All the days of his separation shall he eat nothing that is made of the vine tree, from the kernels even to the husk.

5 All the days of the vow of his separation there shall no razor come upon his head: until the days be fulfilled, in the which he separateth himself unto the LORD, he shall be holy, and shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow.

6 All the days that he separateth himself unto the LORD he shall come at no dead body.

7 He shall not make himself unclean for his father, or for his mother, for his brother, or for his sister, when they die: because the consecration of his God is upon his head.

8 All the days of his separation he is holy unto the LORD.

9 And if any man die very suddenly by him, and he hath defiled the head of his consecration; then he shall shave his head in the day of his cleansing, on the seventh day shall he shave it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:emot-questioned: Oh, sorry!! I must've been skimming...*laugh* Sorry, uh...continue :noidea:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

Does it really matter? or am I missing something? :b:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes it does matter. If it didn't matter why would Paul even bring it up? Why would he say it's a dishonor for a man to have long hair and then turn around and say it's ok?

I started a thread about this a few months ago. Total chaos. It went nowhere and everywhere. The only thing that thread accomplished was a lot of name calling and mud slinging. I will not go there again. If you want to know the reasons for my belief's, drop my an email. If not...that's ok too.

As always...In His name. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At what point did "womanly" long hair become womanly? Nazarites did not cut their hair at all. :emot-handshake:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will ask you again, Why would Paul mention this if the churches of God held no such custom? :noidea:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe Paul was bald and envied people with any hair at all. Men in the OT made up a lot of their own rules. Don't you think the NT men were just as imperfect? :wub:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So what you're saying is that Paul was just pulling stuff out of the air. Writing just for the sake of writing, making it up as he goes. Interesting.

Who's your teacher?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

King James :)

How many woman do you know who cover their heads in church . Have you ever been part of a congregation were women didn't speak? People have issues. I think that was the point that Jesus was trying to make when he simplified the commandments.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*Raising my hand* Me - I cover my head in church. In fact, I cover my head virtually 24/7. (Gotta wash the hair sometime, though.)

As for not speaking during church - well.... That's the goal.......

:emot-questioned:;):b:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

Does it really matter? or am I missing something? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As always...In His name. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At what point did "womanly" long hair become womanly? Nazarites did not cut their hair at all. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will ask you again, Why would Paul mention this if the churches of God held no such custom? :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe Paul was bald and envied people with any hair at all. Men in the OT made up a lot of their own rules. Don't you think the NT men were just as imperfect? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So what you're saying is that Paul was just pulling stuff out of the air. Writing just for the sake of writing, making it up as he goes. Interesting.

Who's your teacher?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

King James :(

How many woman do you know who cover their heads in church . Have you ever been part of a congregation were women didn't speak? People have issues. I think that was the point that Jesus was trying to make when he simplified the commandments.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*Raising my hand* Me - I cover my head in church. In fact, I cover my head virtually 24/7. (Gotta wash the hair sometime, though.)

As for not speaking during church - well.... That's the goal.......

:):24::24:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My point was most churches don't follow the head covering or women speaking rules, both of which came from Paul, so why should the men and long hair rule be followed? Men made up a lot of rules in the OT that Jesus later cleared up, and since men are still men in the NT, they are still capable of inserting human understanding. Paul admitted himself that he made mistakes. :24:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  117
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

JesusisGod2

Where does it say that it is a "sin" to have long hair?

It doesn't. :(

Unless the word "shameful" is interpreted as meaning sin- where Paul uses it to define the thought of men having long hair??? :)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  535
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  08/02/1957

Gerioke

Were the mistakes that Paul made, mistakes concerning his teaching of the gospel? Did he say that some of his information was wrong and that we should ignore what he said?

Paul taught that women should cover their heads as a sign of respect for their heads. He didn't say they should put something on their heads to cover them. The covering he spoke of is a woman's long hair.

He also stated that it is a shame for a man to have long hair.

He knew there was going to be a problem with these teachings so in verse 16 he went on to say that the churches of God held no such customs. ( long or short hair is not a sin )

You hinted that because some people don't follow certain teaching's of the bible, it's ok for us to ignore them too.

Be careful what you say on these boards. There are many new christians here. If one dropped in and read what you wrote and then left and practiced what he/she believed to be the truth, where would you be in the eyes of God?

The issue isn't about long hair being a sin. Those first 16 verses of 1 Corinthians 11 hold a deeper meaning. I explained it once on this board and you all laughed at me.

I see a lot of conflict about the "law". The simplicity of Christ is confusing to the educated mind.

As always...In His name. :)