• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

1 minute ago, pinacled said:

How then did she know of and How to perform a circumcision if it wasnt a tradition already established by her fore father avraham.

Not sure how anyone would deem circumcision "barbaric". Much less project such a thought on tzipporah.

Please explain how circumcision is "barbaric".

I did not say it was, but that she PROBABLY felt that way.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,854
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

6 hours ago, pinacled said:

Demeaning tzipporahs moral character has no advantage.

So why is circumcision considered "barbaric"?

The mother had possession of the child. The child was under her care. 

Till that time the decision to Circumcised the child rested upon her. 

Moses lived with them and he had adopted their ways. 

She was the eldest of the daughter, she was the manager of their household and her father's business. 

The boy was old and they did not Circumcise the boy on the eight day because that was not their customs and they were not from the chosen seed of Issac or Jacob.

From reading the text we can see that she finally yielded to the demand to have the child circumcise, she was upset about that because it was put before her the life of Moses for the boy's Circumcision. 

The Lord wanted the child to be Circumcised because he wanted the boy to be with Moses and to integrate with the other people from the tribes of Jacob. 

We see that the Lord did not separate Moses from his children.

He did not asked him to leave his family, to separate from his family to do his work.

We see that the Lord gave them an Inheritance among the children of Israel, that means that Moses Inheritance fall to them...

Aaron family inherited the Priesthood but it was not the same for the position Moses was holding.

Moses position was not pass to his children.

Moses was a LEADER but he was not a King. 

• Thanks 1
  • Huh?  I don't get it. 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

9 hours ago, Gershom_young said:

But didn't Zipporah only circumcise one son? My thinking was therefore it was the younger son, possibly because the older was already circumcised.

Zipporah was required to circumcise "on-the-fly", so to speak. She didn't have time to prepare, she didn't have time to change into her "work" clothes, she didn't even have time to get a proper izmel, just grabbing hold of the nearest flint she could find. I would imagine this would have been reason alone for her to be upset, without considering any other issues. This said, does the passage indicate she was disgusted? Some commentaries indicate she didn't agree with circumcision, but I don't really see the proof of that in the passage. And if she was a daughter of Abraham, wouldn't it be more likely that she was disgusted with uncircumcision?

Good questions. My responses: We are not told which son it was, I am just guessing, based on assumptions, because Moses was refusing.

Reading the scriptural narrative, I form an active scene in my mind how it played out, and what Zipporah might have been thinking. What I might have been thinking, but the Hebrew-Jewish mind does not think like our western mind set. Perhaps the choice of my word "disgusted" might not be the best one? 

In my thoughts of the information given to us, in my mind, I picture Zipporah thinking, this man rather die than do what the Lord directed him to do. So, I will not be a widow, I will have to take this matter into my own hands quickly. 

By throwing it, I assume she was not a happy camper. It's only a picture in my mind as I try to visualize it. 

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  109
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

23 hours ago, JohnD said:

My take on the circumcision of Gershom and Eliezer is that Zipporah was the reason they were not circumcised (perhaps she deemed it barbaric or just not for her boys).

And yet she skillfully performed the circumcision herself with a rock? And remember, if it was about Zipporah, wouldn't it have been both boys who needed circumcising, instead of just one? I'm not sure there is any evidence Zipporah thought circumcision was barbaric, but if she was anything like women today, she would have wanted it done.

And the Lord dealt with the source by threatening to take away her husband in death. And she succumbed / submitted to the will of the Lord and did the deed herself.

IF correct, then Mo was just as henpecked as the rest of us when it comes to our wives putting their foot down. LOL 

I guess this is possible, but her ability to do the circumcision indicates to me there may have been another cause - Moses himself, perhaps? Wasn't Zipporah sent away at a later date - this also is not usually the case with henpecking wives, who like to be about in order to have someone to peck.

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  109
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

1 hour ago, pinacled said:

I presume you missed the part where the midianites are decendents of avraham. Meaning circumcision is a part of their customs. Not sure who taught you otherwise. But that is what is called inference without evidence. 

So how or why is circumcision "barbaric"?

It's not, or it wouldn't still be done routinely today. Might be a little painful for the child (if anyone even noticed), but this would probably pale in comparison to the pain experienced by the mother during the birth itself.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  1,140
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

On 9/23/2021 at 6:14 PM, pinacled said:

I'm glad you've engaged in a conversation of oil.

There are very few persons who will look beyond the rez(surface) of moshe upbringing away from the wisdom of The Most High. Something of which reminds me of, "this worlds wisdom is foolishness......"[1 Corinthians 3:15] The wisdom moshe had attained from the egyptians was chaff in comparison.

He was like a child before the burning voice and willing to recieve. Then after hearing. Faith led moshe to serve dilligantly till his last breath on a particular yom(day). In Doing so, A provision was given for the following generations till salvation was to be revealed.

Moshe first born gershom was given responsibilty of the heavenly treasures after all. 1 chronicles 26:24-

Blessings Always

“Most people don't consider the weight moshe carried. He was a stranger to covenant. Raised far from his inheritance.”

“Courage is measured by the distance a person will walk in faith.”

Amen

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  1,140
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

On 9/23/2021 at 7:35 PM, pinacled said:

I'm curious.

What treasures did gershom first born of moshe accumulate along with his younger sibling?

Was it gold and silver?

Noble thoughts worthy of...?

“Gershom is the gold treasure first born of moshe.

His second born is silver.

Gold in hebrew is?  zahav

Silver in hebrew is? keseph

Gold and silver from Moshe is sod level.”

• Thumbs Up 1