• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  09/09/1960

We were taking a walk down by the Lake this afternoon and where we live is a predominantly white area of Ohio.  There was a black couple there taking a picture of the river that runs into the lake.  They looked like travelers, out of towners...  We walked by them and there was very little eye contact.  I turned around and went back and asked them if they would like me to take a picture of them together.  That broke the ice.  We had a nice conversation and they said that the one lived here, and the other one, her brother, was from Alabama.  As Christians, we should cultivate being friendly to strangers...especially these days when so many are feeling so lonely and depressed.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,468
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

4 minutes ago, Tammy Roesch said:

We were taking a walk down by the Lake this afternoon and where we live is a predominantly white area of Ohio.  There was a black couple there taking a picture of the river that runs into the lake.  They looked like travelers, out of towners...  We walked by them and there was very little eye contact.  I turned around and went back and asked them if they would like me to take a picture of them together.  That broke the ice.  We had a nice conversation and they said that the one lived here, and the other one, her brother, was from Alabama.  As Christians, we should cultivate being friendly to strangers...especially these days when so many are feeling so lonely and depressed.

I would not disagree with that. However; does one know the history, intentions or opportunities that might be taken advantage of with the strangers we encounter and engage with? Can we identify a murderer, rapist, robber or molester by their physical appearance and present actions? These days people take great offense to the littlest of things. 

By no means am I discouraging this, but perhaps a backup plan and precautions might be in order? As everyone sees, it's a different, more violent, self centered world out there these days. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

I would not disagree with that. However; does one know the history, intentions or opportunities that might be taken advantage of with the strangers we encounter and engage with? Can we identify a murderer, rapist, robber or molester by their physical appearance and present actions? These days people take great offense to the littlest of things. 

By no means am I discouraging this, but perhaps a backup plan and precautions might be in order? As everyone sees, it's a different, more violent, self centered world out there these days. 

Yes Dennis, I completely understand.  I think we must take alot of things into consideration and not take any chances.  This was at a State Park, with alot of people around and I was with my husband.  Had I been alone, I don't believe I'd have done that these days. :).  I appreciate your caution :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,937
  • Content Per Day:  3.07

9 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

God will reveal things if something not true with them unless God allow it to test u.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  411
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

How kind of you Tammy to reach out and show concern for fellow man.  These small acts of kindness and graciousness are so important in our lives now.  Those guided by God's holy spirit, or active force, display its fruit of kindness. We show loving-kindness in our relationships with others. By showing kindness, compassion and a forgiving spirit we can harmonize our personalities with that of God who is “abundant in loving-kindness” and whose Word contains many examples of kindness. 

• Loved it! 1

Guest clancy
13 hours ago, Tammy Roesch said:

What a lovely thing to do, did it just come naturally Tammy?

I often speak to  complete  strangers  at the bus depot, it’s like the Lord speaks through me at times, it comes so naturally,  it never used to though.?.....growing in Jesus I believe through faith.

3 hours ago, clancy said:

What a lovely thing to do, did it just come naturally Tammy?

I often speak to  complete  strangers  at the bus depot, it’s like the Lord speaks through me at times, it comes so naturally,  it never used to though.?.....growing in Jesus I believe through faith.

Yes, for me it's very easy to walk up to strangers and talk to them...I really love meeting people and trying to figure out what their interests are to connect with them somehow, and then try to plant a seed of TRUTH in their minds :)

We sound alot alike, Clancy :)

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  537
  • Content Per Day:  0.45

We live in a world of ever increasing violence and hatred, but we also live in an ever increasing world of fear , loneliness, pain, mental health problems, and other personal struggles.

I read the following verse, and it reminds me that being a Christian is never a safe lifestyle choice when we are living it daily and purposefully, and have considered the cost.

Romans 14:8, " If we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord."

I did night time street ministry with a local church in a dangerous locations for some time.

All new members of the ministry were told that most of the people we were going to talk to on the street carried some type of weapon, and that this ministry could cost us our life at any time. It was a dire warning, we were faced with choosing. Literally putting our lives in God's hands. It changes your perspective.

Verses like the one above makes you think about the reality of being a Christian, and what God has called us to, and why.

Edited by Arrabon
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  227
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

I love talking to strangers on the street.I live in a small town of very mixed ethnic groups.After a while you get a nose for smelling out "chancers".I find as a Christian it's a wonderful opportunity to show others what you are by your kindness and deeds not necessarily  what you "say" .On many occasions I chat with a good Muslim friend from Sheri Lanka in his little shop.and we exchange points of view in the context of respect for each other's beliefs.

If need be, I always try to adhere to Peters's advice should the subject of beliefs enter the conversation "15  But have reverence for Christ in your hearts, and honor him as Lord. Be ready at all times to answer anyone who asks you to explain the hope you have in you, 
16  but do it with gentleness and respect. Keep your conscience clear, so that when you are insulted, those who speak evil of your good conduct as followers of Christ will become ashamed of what they say. 
17  For it is better to suffer for doing good, if this should be God's will, than for doing evil. "(Good News Bible.I Pet.3:15-17) 

• Loved it! 2

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  537
  • Content Per Day:  0.45

6 minutes ago, Hands On said:

I love talking to strangers on the street.I live in a small town of very mixed ethnic groups.After a while you get a nose for smelling out "chancers".I find as a Christian it's a wonderful opportunity to show others what you are by your kindness and deeds not necessarily  what you "say" .On many occasions I chat with a good Muslim friend from Sheri Lanka in his little shop.and we exchange points of view in the context of respect for each other's beliefs.

If need be, I always try to adhere to Peters's advice should the subject of beliefs enter the conversation "15  But have reverence for Christ in your hearts, and honor him as Lord. Be ready at all times to answer anyone who asks you to explain the hope you have in you, 
16  but do it with gentleness and respect. Keep your conscience clear, so that when you are insulted, those who speak evil of your good conduct as followers of Christ will become ashamed of what they say. 
17  For it is better to suffer for doing good, if this should be God's will, than for doing evil. "(Good News Bible.I Pet.3:15-17) 

"AMEN." :thumbsup: