• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/17/1968

You are the best witness in how to conduct yourself and how you live your life.

I recommend this book to read:

Inside the Mind of Unchurched Harry & Mary

by Lee Strobel

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

All of you who don't understand Nite Owl's views on street witnessing, PLEASE watch those videos. I'm totally with you on it Nite Owl...I used to do it Saturday nights with some friends, actually (all guys but me *grin* they were always so worried I'd get mugged or something...auch sweet brothers I have). I didn't find it very effective, anyway...most people didn't want to hear it, or just listened long enough to be polite, then excused themselves with no further comments. I do hope some of them went away thinking about it a bit more, but I can't help but remember the mostly exhasperated expressions we'd get.

I find witnessing in a long-term way (with friends and family) is better overall; it's easier to know how the person is reacting, when to back off, what points need to be addressed when, etc. It's also less offensive to people when it's an ongoing conversation. I'm not saying we should bend over backwards to avoid offending people (especially since so many are so easily offended), but I do think we should be polite, and kind, and genuinely loving in a way they understand.

• Topic Count:  154
  • Content Count:  2,838
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Birthday:  05/29/1991

I don't belittle him.

For every one he turns on to the Lord, how many does he turn off?

I have nothing against witnessing. I just don't think the street is the place for it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where then?

In Churches where no-believers don't want a thing to do with God?

Jesus tells us to go into the highways and byways....... :noidea:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  535
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  08/02/1957

Why do you believe witnessing can only be done in the streets?

Where did you learn about God? Does everyone who believes in God, believe because they heard it in the street?

DaniJ87 has the right idea if you want to street preach. Have the people come to you. Then at least you know you're not wasting your time talking to someone who doesn't care. Plus it doesn't make you look like a fanatic.

The highways and byways have changed a little since Christ was last here.

If you want preach in the streets go for it. I just believe it does more harm than good.

• Topic Count:  154
  • Content Count:  2,838
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Birthday:  05/29/1991

I just believe it does more harm than good.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

State your reasons, friend. :noidea:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Street preaching is basically "in your face" preaching. There's nothing wrong with sharing the love of God with our fellow man, but when you get in someones face and try to push your belief's on them, it only casts a shadow on the Word.

Look at how street preachers are made to look in movies and TV. They're usually portrayed as a fanatic carrying a sign and yelling at cars. Where do you think they got that impression? And how do think people will react toward sidewalk ministers after seeing how Hollywood portrays them?

I don't know.....I just believe it's not a very effective way to witness.

These are just my belief's. If you want go out and preach the Word, go for it. As for me, I'll keep talking to the ones who want to listen. For the ones that don't....well, that's their loss.

You have a good one. :thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  06/17/1968

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Street preaching is basically "in your face" preaching. There's nothing wrong with sharing the love of God with our fellow man, but when you get in someones face and try to push your belief's on them, it only casts a shadow on the Word.

Look at how street preachers are made to look in movies and TV. They're usually portrayed as a fanatic carrying a sign and yelling at cars. Where do you think they got that impression? And how do think people will react toward sidewalk ministers after seeing how Hollywood portrays them?

I don't know.....I just believe it's not a very effective way to witness.

These are just my belief's. If you want go out and preach the Word, go for it. As for me, I'll keep talking to the ones who want to listen. For the ones that don't....well, that's their loss.

You have a good one. :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nite Owl has a great point about letting people come to you instead of "In Your Face" Witnessing. The best street witnessing I've seen is people who hold up signs. They are getting their message out and also available to talk if someone has any questions. I recently saw a man down town holding a big sign stating Heaven or Hell its your choice. I honked my horn and waved to him and gave a thumbs up as I went by. I just felt it was an non-intrusive effective way to get the word out.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  102
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  05/26/1961

IMHO - To me, "wittnessing" is mostly how you live your life, conduct yourself and act towards others. These things say more to non believers than anything else. It is very easy to find Christians who talk one way and live another. Believe me, non-believers are watching every move you make to "catch" you and show the world what hypocrits Christians are. I know, because I was an atheist for 20 years.

This doesn't mean that preaching, in any one place is the wrong thing to do. I tend to agree that "in your face" situations are ineffective no matter where they are carried out.

Blessings, kamusat

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  03/31/1968

People who choose to be ignorant are going to not want to listen to you whether you are yelling on the street or sitting with them during your coffee break...

You never know who might need to hear was a brother or a sister in Christ might be saying or yelling at the time.

Luke 8:8

Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up and yielded a crop, a hundred times more than was sown." When he said this, he called out, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear." Jesus speaking the parable of the seeds (which is the word)

Revelation 2:7

He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.

So I say: "PREACH ON BROTHER!"

One of the things that is overlooked on this board is that everytime someone makes a post, they are witnessing. Not only to the people in the thread but to all those who just drop in for a peek. Take a look at the # of replies compared to the # of readers. It's pretty amazing.

The level of faith, wisdom, knowledge, whatever, is not the same with each person. There are going to be conflicts. Our reaction to those conflicts is our witness.

There's nothing wrong with debate. Much can be learned from the knowledge of others. But when conflicts get ugly and we start slinging mud, that's when our witness goes bad. Not only does the world get a peek into your heart, God does also.

I've been sucked into some of these debates and it's hard to just walk away. You know the debate is pointless but your foolish pride just won't let you leave. I'm getting better at it.

Anyway....just something to think about. ;)