IGNORED

A Parable: Goldilocks and the three modes of Baptism.

Dead Orthodoxy

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/07/1955

NOT  A  SALVATION  ISSUE  

SOMEONE  IS  LYING  AND  IT  ISNT  JESUS  CHRIST

PROVERBS 12:22  lying lips are an abomination to  THE  LORD   ---but they that deal truly are  HIS  delight---

REVELATION 21:27  and there shall in no wise enter into it anything that defileth neither whatsoever ---worketh abomination---or maketh a lie--- but they which are written in the lambs book of life 

1 JOHN 2:4 he that saith I know  HIM  and keepeth not  HIS  commandments ---is  a  liar--- and the truth is not in him

MARK 16:16  he that believeth ---AND  IS  BAPTIZED  SHALL  BE  SAVED--- but he that believeth not ---shall  be  damned---

MATTHEW 20:22  but  JESUS  answered and said  you know not what you ask are you able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of and to be ---baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with--- they say unto  HIM  we are able 

--20:23--  and  HE  saith unto them ---you shall drink indeed of  MY  cup and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with---but to sit on  MY  right hand and on  MY  left  is not mine to give but it shall be given to them ---for whom it is prepared of  MY  FATHER---

LUKE 19:27  but those mine enemies ---which would not that I should reign over them--- bring hither and slay them before  ME

EPHESIANS 6:17  and take the helmet of salvation and ---the sword of the spirit --- which is the word of  GOD---

LOVING  THE  LORD  JESUS  CHRIST 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

So now you are making up your own parables? I have seen some strange things on Worthy but this one is right up there at the top. So far away from God. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

On 1/22/2022 at 6:53 AM, Starise said:

If we agree that baptism is necessary to show obedience

On 1/22/2022 at 6:53 AM, Starise said:

and make sure we are doing it in the way the Lord would want us to do it. Which way would the Lord Himself condone

First I want to make it absolutely clear that salvation is by faith alone, not by faith and something we do. I do not disagree, that water baptism is by immersion. Neither do I disagree that Jesus commanded believers to be baptized. Being baptized is an important first step in following Jesus as Lord.

The purpose of water baptism is not to demonstrate our obedience,  but to make a public statement that we are identifying ourselves with Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection. It is a public proclamation, that you are trusting in the sacrifice of Jesus and turning from all known sin. In other words, a public testimony of our faith and commitment to follow Jesus.

A person that goes through the motions of water baptism because it is tradition in his or her denomination, is in actuality, telling everyone publicly that he or she really doesn't believe the gospel message or God's written word concerning Christ and his mission to die for us.  Getting baptized without understanding what it means and why you are doing it, turns it a meaningless ritual. Getting baptized because your denomination demanded you do so, without truly understanding Christ's death, burial and resurrection is nothing more than a meaningless ritual to be seen by men. And the very reason I did not home in on the words “immersion” and “obedience”.  I gave scripture in a previous post which should have made all this clear as day.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  670
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

4 hours ago, appy said:

First I want to make it absolutely clear that salvation is by faith alone, not by faith and something we do. I do not disagree, that water baptism is by immersion. Neither do I disagree that Jesus commanded believers to be baptized. Being baptized is an important first step in following Jesus as Lord.

The purpose of water baptism is not to demonstrate our obedience,  but to make a public statement that we are identifying ourselves with Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection. It is a public proclamation, that you are trusting in the sacrifice of Jesus and turning from all known sin. In other words, a public testimony of our faith and commitment to follow Jesus.

A person that goes through the motions of water baptism because it is tradition in his or her denomination, is in actuality, telling everyone publicly that he or she really doesn't believe the gospel message or God's written word concerning Christ and his mission to die for us.  Getting baptized without understanding what it means and why you are doing it, turns it a meaningless ritual. Getting baptized because your denomination demanded you do so, without truly understanding Christ's death, burial and resurrection is nothing more than a meaningless ritual to be seen by men. And the very reason I did not home in on the words “immersion” and “obedience”.  I gave scripture in a previous post which should have made all this clear as day.

Well said . . . IF baptism were an indispensable part of being saved, then Jesus would have told the one thief on the cross, 'sorry, but you cannot be with me in paradise because you have not been immersed/poured/sprinkled in baptism . . . 

Of course we need to be baptized (for the reasons Appy said above) but as a testimony NOT as a work requirement for salvation . . . 

The bible is an book, not a verse . . . 

Ray . . . 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  134
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

4 hours ago, Ray12614 said:

Well said . . . IF baptism were an indispensable part of being saved, then Jesus would have told the one thief on the cross,

Excuse me?  Baptism was not instituted until after Jesus' resurrection and before his ascension.  The first Christian baptism occurred on the day of Pentecost.  How is it possible for the thief to be baptized, when the first baptisms occurred 53 days after the thief's death.   Saying the thief wasn't baptized makes as much sense as saying King David wasn't baptized.   YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  245
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,028
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 hour ago, Dead Orthodoxy said:

Excuse me?  Baptism was not instituted until after Jesus' resurrection and before his ascension.  The first Christian baptism occurred on the day of Pentecost.  How is it possible for the thief to be baptized, when the first baptisms occurred 53 days after the thief's death.   Saying the thief wasn't baptized makes as much sense as saying King David wasn't baptized.   YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS.

Aren't you making the same point as Ray12614?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,126
  • Content Per Day:  9.66
  • Days Won:  149

10 hours ago, appy said:

There is certainly a distinction between faith and works. I think we might agree faith minus works isn't true faith. Neither is faith anything aside from the blood of Christ. It's a thin rail for me to say works never matter because they show obedience. They are the outward manifestation of the inner man.

Either baptism matters or it doesn't. Some try to say it doesn't matter at all. Some say it is important for salvation. I don't believe it is NECESSARY for salvation. It is necessary for obedience.

10 hours ago, appy said:

Since you bolded much of this I can see you feel strongly about it. If God directs me to get baptized I don't care so much about the why. I do think one primary goal of baptism is obedience. That obedience often leads to a public testimony.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,126
  • Content Per Day:  9.66
  • Days Won:  149

On 1/22/2022 at 10:03 AM, Dead Orthodoxy said:

Is "symbolic of a new life" immersion, pouring or sprinkling?

It isn't what I think about it. What does the word say about it? That brings the question up, does God condone a directive if it is carried out differently than He states in His word?

We can try to redefine baptism but our re definition does not change what God said it is. We can customize the methods so much that it is no longer recognizable for what it is supposed to be. How far do we carry it then? How about baptism in chocolate? Is that ok? We could use beer. Would God condone it? What if I just dip my little pinkie in water and say a prayer? Would that qualify?

Edited by Starise

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  670
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

3 hours ago, Dead Orthodoxy said:

Yes I should, never really thought about that. Thanks for pointing that out. Caps means that you are yelling Lol 

So I gather that you believe that people must be baptized in order to be saved? And what about the thief then? Please clarify. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  134
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

25 minutes ago, Ray12614 said:

Yes I should, never really thought about that. Thanks for pointing that out. Caps means that you are yelling Lol 

So I gather that you believe that people must be baptized in order to be saved? And what about the thief then? Please clarify. 

All believers in the OT were saved without baptism.  How were they saved?  By faith (Hebrews 11).  They trusted their sins were forgiven through the sacrificial system and the coming Messiah as the whole of the OT promulgates.

It is presumed the thief was Jewish as he uses "kingdom" in his petition to Jesus.  Was it possible the thief heard Jesus preach about the "kingdom" before is demise on the cross.  One does not know.

Scripture reveals at least two individuals were converted when Jesus was on the cross.  The thief and the Roman Centurion.  And both were converted the exact same way...through the preaching of the Word. As the Scriptures, say "Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God."   What is interesting, the preaching of or about Jesus comes from two separate sources:  Jesus' own words as he does quote a psalm and secondly, from the Scribes and the Sadducee's in their accusations against Jesus.

The Roman Centurion said after Christ's death "Surely, this man was the Son of God." So how does the Centurion who was a Gentile come to the conclusion he is the Son of God. The text doesn't state Jesus ever said these words, but it does state that the Sadducee's made these statements as the Centurion witnessed what was said. 

After six hours on the cross, the Centurion hears accusation after accusation by the Scribes and the Sadducees.  It is interesting to note, these accusations contain statements of Jesus true teaching prior to being put on the cross.  The centurion believes he Jesus is the Son of God because Matthew records twice his accusers said he was.

So faith was worked into the Centurion in the oddest of all ways....through the accusations of Christ's accusers.  He doesn't believe the Scribes and the Sadducees accusations but he believes the content of the accusations as true.

Faith does come by hearing and hearing by the Word of God.