• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  340
  • Topics Per Day:  0.41
  • Content Count:  2,099
  • Content Per Day:  2.54
  • Days Won:  5

Shalom! 

As some of you already know, my name is Monica (with a c 😊). And whether you are from the USA, China, India, England, Australia, Norway etc, I would still be Monica to you, right? 

So I wonder, why did the early translators completely change the Name of the Lord? 

I've understood that His Name is Yahshua or Yehshua, but they had to change it to make it sound more "Greek" and less Hebrew? 

Just some thoughts... 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  909
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,654
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Yehoshua in Hebrew was shortened to Yeshua and actually Y'shua (since vowels came later in the development of Hebrew language).

That and V could be W and depending on the placement of a vowel point V could be U or O.  ← stemming from that developmental phase.

Joshua (also Yehoshua) is another example the result of the transliteration that took place filtering this Hebrew language through the universal language

of commerce (Greek) and later Latin then the Germanic languages until the various eras of English language (old, middle, modern,

British / American that sort of thing). 

Hope this helps, Monica.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  909
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,654
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

I would also add that Exodus 3:15 is also HIS name. In is the root of the name Jesus / YHVH Saves.

John 8:58 (AV)
58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM. ← capitalization mine

John 8:23–24 (AV)
23 And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I AM from above: ye are of this world; I AM not of this world. ← capitalization mine
24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I AM [he], ye shall die in your sins. ← capitalization mine

and the bracketed [he] is not in the original text but was added by translators to smooth out the language / grammar (which does the LORD

a disservice IMHO moreso than capitalization; since none of the original texts had capitalization concerns). Every "i am" statement of Jesus was

and is an I AM / YAH (YHVH / the LORD) statement.

Have a blessed day.

Edited by JohnD

23 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Yehoshua in Hebrew was shortened to Yeshua and actually Y'shua (since vowels came later in the development of Hebrew language).

That and V could be W and depending on the placement of a vowel point V could be U or O.  ← stemming from that developmental phase.

Joshua (also Yehoshua) is another example the result of the transliteration that took place filtering this Hebrew language through the universal language

of commerce (Greek) and later Latin then the Germanic languages until the various eras of English language (old, middle, modern,

British / American that sort of thing). 

Hope this helps, Monica.

Thank you for your info! 😊 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, JohnD said:

I would also add that Exodus 3:15 is also HIS name. In is the root of the name Jesus / YHVH Saves.

John 8:58 (AV)
58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM. ← capitalization mine

John 8:23–24 (AV)
23 And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I AM from above: ye are of this world; I AM not of this world. ← capitalization mine
24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I AM [he], ye shall die in your sins. ← capitalization mine

and the bracketed [he] is not in the original text but was added by translators to smooth out the language / grammar (which does the LORD

a disservice IMHO moreso than capitalization; since none of the original texts had capitalization concerns). Every "i am" statement of Jesus was

and is an I AM / YAH (YHVH / the LORD) statement.

Have a blessed day.

Shalom and thank you for the share! Very interesting indeed. 

I wish you and your beloved bride a blessed day there! May the Lord's peace and grace be with you! 

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

54 minutes ago, MonicaWife said:

Shalom! 

As some of you already know, my name is Monica (with a c 😊). And whether you are from the USA, China, India, England, Australia, Norway etc, I would still be Monica to you, right? 

So I wonder, why did the early translators completely change the Name of the Lord? 

I've understood that His Name is Yahshua or Yehshua, but they had to change it to make it sound more "Greek" and less Hebrew? 

Just some thoughts... 

It might very well be that the name Lord /God is easier to comprehend ,.or bring about ?

God Bless You Monica.

ps ,- Usage and/or support of the name Yahshua is largely restricted to religious groups that are a part of (or otherwise associated with) the Sacred Name and Hebrew Roots movements which, among other things, advocate for the preservation of Hebrew sacred names in translations of the Bible.

Many Blessings.

10 minutes ago, notsavedyet said:

ps ,- Usage and/or support of the name Yahshua is largely restricted to religious groups that are a part of (or otherwise associated with) the Sacred Name and Hebrew Roots movements which, among other things, advocate for the preservation of Hebrew sacred names in translations of the Bible.

Many Blessings.

I see. But I am not in any religious group, I am just saved and born again by His amazing Grace. 

Nevertheless, I can't see why it is a bad thing to wanna preserve the Hebrew names, as they were Hebrew names from the beginning, right? 

Edited by MonicaWife

1 minute ago, MonicaWife said:

I see. But I am not in any religious group, I am just saved and born again by His amazing Grace. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahshua

ok,..i quoted info i found in this link.

God Bless You.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  791
  • Content Per Day:  0.24

1 hour ago, MonicaWife said:

Shalom! 

Just some thoughts... 

Greek is an inflected language (which means that words have to change their endings in order to indicate grammar). This applies to names as well. 

In order to 'fit' Hebrew names into Greek grammar, the endings have to be 'massaged'. This means, in many cases, putting an 'S' onto the end. So "Eliyahu" (Elijah in English) became "Elias" and "Yeshua" became "Iesous", and so on. This was done long before the New Testament was written, when the Old Testament was first translated into Greek. The apostles who wrote the New Testament merely followed the accepted practice.

Monica happens to be a name that 'crosses' languages fairly easily. But there are almost certainly some languages in which it would come out sounding different.