First world problem: breastfeeding struggles

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  461
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  1

Thank you to everyone who replied and prayed. I have an amazing update!

Today during prayer, I felt a strange shift in my being. Like a blockage being released. 

Out flowed the milk! All day! My baby has been satisfied at my breast all day, with no need for any formula. God has healed me of whatever was preventing me from making milk and now I can feed my child myself!

• Praise God! 3

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  340
  • Topics Per Day:  0.42
  • Content Count:  2,097
  • Content Per Day:  2.56
  • Days Won:  5

49 minutes ago, Thewhitedove said:

Thank you to everyone who replied and prayed. I have an amazing update!

Today during prayer, I felt a strange shift in my being. Like a blockage being released. 

Out flowed the milk! All day! My baby has been satisfied at my breast all day, with no need for any formula. God has healed me of whatever was preventing me from making milk and now I can feed my child myself!

Wow! What a wonderful praise report! 🎶 🎼 🎹 ⬆️ 🎻 🆙 ☺️ I'm so glad to hear this, and I wish you all the best! 

GIFs-2022311112630.gif

• 4 months later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

On 3/18/2022 at 12:35 AM, Thewhitedove said:

I'll try to keep this short.

I have a 5 week old baby. Due to a lot of setbacks at the very start, my breastmilk supply was never quite enough. My daughter was failing to gain weight and the Dr wanted me to switch to formula. I could tell he was very old fashioned, so wanted a second opinion. I hired a lactation consultant who put me on a very intense programme of pumping and supplementing to get my supply up again.

It has mostly worked although there is still a shortfall and I have to give some formula after a few feeds in the afternoon. The problem is, the stress is really getting to me. I'm  constantly freaking out about something: had she had enough, how long has she been at the breast, was she swallowing, how much did I express, do I need to wake her for another feed, is her diaper wet enough, has she gained weight etc etc and that is on top of washing and sterilising bottles and my pump.  Set an alarm for the middle of the night to feed or pump in order to protect my supply. I'm exhausted.

I have breastfed 2 children before with no problems. All very natural and instinctive but in a different country with a different medical system. I have no problem with formula but breastfeeding for me is about far more than nutrition or providing milk. It's an expression of love, communication, comfort, closeness. Sometimes when her dad gives her a bottle, she cries as she drinks it as she really wants to nurse. In my heart I have a deep yearning to continue nursing her.

Throughout scripture, there are countless references to breastfeeding. It is regarded as a source of comfort and sustenance. The Bible is also full of references to providence and abundance. 

Yesterday I watched a video about children in Yemen literally starving in front of their mothers and felt so convicted about my obsession with exclusive breastfeeding when I have breast milk PLUS formula in the fridge. This made me wonder if my strenuous efforts to increase my supply are actually sinful and I should just be grateful for what I have access to.

The thing is, I am struggling to breastfeed and also give formula. It's just stretching my current energy levels a little too far. I have at times been delirious with exhaustion. I just want to exclusively nurse like I did with previous kids and cannot shake that yearning. 

I know that God created breastfeeding to be a wonderful source of food, comfort and bonding and so its not against his will to want this above other methods of feeding.

I have been praying that God in his abundant goodness would see the desire of my heart and grant me my wish to have enough milk to completely satisfy my child. This has not been happening in a way that convinces me that God wants what I want and I don't know when to stop trying and admit defeat.

I can't indefinitely do both and feel like I need to pick a method and stick with it. I'm exhausted and so mentally drained trying to make this work. I am worried about how this will affect my mental health if I quit nursing as I know that 'breastfeeding grief' is a real thing and I predict I will experience it. When I say it out loud I feel very guilty for not appreciating all of the good things I have in my life, including the health and happiness of my actual children.

I guess I am going through some issues very particular to a woman who has recently given birth and secular advice has only got me so far. I need to pick this apart Biblically and work through all of these emotions through the lens of God.

I am sorry for the long essay and also for seeming so ungrateful for my actual blessings. I will come to terms with it if I have to, but only with God guiding me.

Please help.

I was not as successful in breast feeding. I would take my baby to the doctor and they would have lost weight. I decided to use a formula. They have some really good formulas now and good bottles. My baby gained weight and was happier. I was not guilty about it so do what is best for you and your baby and don't stress over it. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  461
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, missmuffet said:

I was not as successful in breast feeding. I would take my baby to the doctor and they would have lost weight. I decided to use a formula. They have some really good formulas now and good bottles. My baby gained weight and was happier. I was not guilty about it so do what is best for you and your baby and don't stress over it. 

I am happy to report that God was faithful and my milk fully came in a few days after I wrote this. She is now 6 months old and I have been able to exclusively breastfeed her this whole time! Praise God!

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

10 hours ago, Thewhitedove said:

I am happy to report that God was faithful and my milk fully came in a few days after I wrote this. She is now 6 months old and I have been able to exclusively breastfeed her this whole time! Praise God!

Good :)