• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.43
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

Let's consider a wee experiment. Make believe for a while that you are a new convert to Christ and you have no knowledge of various positions on eschatology. You are literate and pay attention to what you read--especially the bible, because you have come to understand it is God's word for us. You are hungry to learn and to understand. After a while you got around to reading Revelation.

What would you naturally conclude when you took notice of these verses in your reading. These verses included among all of the symbolism that makes your head spin? Remember, you have not been indoctrinated. Perhaps you are Chinese or a Muslim or a farmers child from Nebraska.

You have not yet asked your new pastor to explain.

You are now reading......

:-)

Rev. 1:1 (ESVS)  The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants the things that must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John,

Rev. 1:3 (ESVS) Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near.

Rev. 2:16 (ESVS) Therefore repent. If not, I will come to you soon and war against them with the sword of my mouth.

Rev. 3:11 (ESVS) I am coming soon. Hold fast what you have, so that no one may seize your crown.

Rev. 11:14 (ESVS)    The second woe has passed; behold, the third woe is soon to come.

Rev. 22:6 (ESVS)   And he said to me, “These words are trustworthy and true. And the Lord, the God of the spirits of the prophets, has sent his angel to show his servants what must soon take place.”

Rev. 22:7 (ESVS)   “And behold, I am coming soon. Blessed is the one who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book.”

Rev. 22:10 (ESVS)   And he said to me, “Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is near.

Rev. 22:12 (ESVS)   “Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to repay each one for what he has done.

Rev. 22:20 (ESVS)   He who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,995
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,693
  • Content Per Day:  11.72
  • Days Won:  226

It looks like you are having a problem with the word "soon". And Jesus did not come back soon. 

1 minute ago, missmuffet said:

It looks like you are having a problem with the word "soon". And Jesus did not come back soon. 

No problem at all. Its a great word. I like the word soon. When my wife calls or texts me from work saying, "I will be home soon".

It makes me happy. Soon is a good word.

• Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.21
  • Days Won:  115

Interesting that you point out "soon", as it can mean many things ... just like your statement of "after awhile" ... how long is that?  When we try to insert our understanding into others words, we can end up with the wrong conclusion.

2 minutes ago, OneLight said:

Interesting that you point out "soon", as it can mean many things ... just like your statement of "after awhile" ... how long is that?  When we try to insert our understanding into others words, we can end up with the wrong conclusion.

One of the things that helps qualify that soon actually means soon rather than 'quickly or swiftly' is that other word in there--'near'.

When you combine them in the overall context and normal reading, it seems to me that one must consider that soon means soon.

Remember--this experiment requires no prior indoctrination.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Alive said:

No problem at all. Its a great word. I like the word soon. When my wife calls or texts me from work saying, "I will be home soon".

It makes me happy. Soon is a good word.

Then I don't understand what you want us to take a look at when the word soon is highlighted in these verses of Revelation. The word "soon" is to be understood as something that is sudden or unexpected, not necessarily immediate. 

1 minute ago, missmuffet said:

The word "soon" is to be understood as something that is sudden or unexpected, not necessarily immediate. 

This is the point of the experiment. Try to read it as the experiment suggests. Do so with an open heart. Meaning not closed off, just as we are to do with all scripture.

2 minutes ago, Alive said:

This is the point of the experiment. Try to read it as the experiment suggests. Do so with an open heart. Meaning not closed off, just as we are to do with all scripture.

I ask God to open my heart and give me knowledge when I read His Word. This is what soon tells me. It doesn't mean He has already come back. 

Just now, missmuffet said:

I ask God to open my heart and give me knowledge when I read His Word. This is what soon tells me. It doesn't mean He has already come back. 

I do believe that of you mm. I am not suggesting otherwise. This is meant in the context of the experiment. You don't have to play.

9 minutes ago, Alive said:

I do believe that of you mm. I am not suggesting otherwise. This is meant in the context of the experiment. You don't have to play.

An experiment on God's literal true Word? 

• Thumbs Up 2