Is Baptism Required to Receive the Holy Spirit

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

That translation of Acts 2 is incorrect.

From the Greek to English it is better rendered as "Change your mind, therefore, and be baptized in water, for God has already saved you."

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  90
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

I haven't been water-baptised because I honestly never felt the need, but if people want to be baptised to help them feel closer to God, good luck to them..:)

The only danger there is that some of them might think "Well, that's me saved forever!" and drop their guard against satan.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,323
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  5

“Did you forget that all of us became part of Christ Jesus when we were baptized? In our baptism we shared in his death. So when we were baptized, we were buried with Christ and took part in his death. And just as Christ was raised from death by the wonderful power of the Father, so we can now live a new life.

Christ died, and we have been joined with him by dying too. So we will also be joined with him by rising from death as he did. We know that our old life was put to death on the cross with Christ. This happened so that our sinful selves would have no power over us. Then we would not be slaves to sin.

Anyone who has died is made free from sin’s control. If we died with Christ, we know that we will also live with him. Christ was raised from death. And we know that he cannot die again. Death has no power over him now. Yes, when Christ died, he died to defeat the power of sin one time—enough for all time. He now has a new life, and his new life is with God. In the same way, you should see yourselves as being dead to the power of sin and alive for God through Christ Jesus.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭6:3-11‬ ‭

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,149
  • Content Per Day:  1.05

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 AKJV

1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Eph 1:13

13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,\0/\o/\O/

Eph 2:8-9

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: \0/\o/\O/

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

On 4/30/2022 at 9:36 AM, Hopefully said:

“Peter said to them, “Change your hearts and lives and be baptized, each one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ. Then God will forgive your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭2:38‬ 

“But John tried to stop him. John said, “Why do you come to me to be baptized? I should be baptized by you!” Jesus answered, “Let it be this way for now. We should do whatever God says is right.” Then John agreed. So Jesus was baptized. As soon as he came up out of the water, the sky opened, and he saw God’s Spirit coming down on him like a dove.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭3:14-16‬ ‭ERV‬‬

I believe the answer is yes because I did not receive the Holy Spirit until after I was baptized and years later at that.

Some people believe baptism is not necessary, but the verses above do not sound optional. 

If Jesus said get baptized and was even baptized himself why would anyone tell people to do the opposite?

Why did the Spirit ascend on Jesus only after he was baptized?

No, the Spirit is received immediately upon trusting Christ, as a deposit guaranteeing salvation (Eph 1). At other times, one is to be filled with the Spirit.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  160
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

On 4/30/2022 at 8:36 AM, Hopefully said:

“Peter said to them, “Change your hearts and lives and be baptized, each one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ. Then God will forgive your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭2:38‬ 

“But John tried to stop him. John said, “Why do you come to me to be baptized? I should be baptized by you!” Jesus answered, “Let it be this way for now. We should do whatever God says is right.” Then John agreed. So Jesus was baptized. As soon as he came up out of the water, the sky opened, and he saw God’s Spirit coming down on him like a dove.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭3:14-16‬ ‭ERV‬‬

I believe the answer is yes because I did not receive the Holy Spirit until after I was baptized and years later at that.

Some people believe baptism is not necessary, but the verses above do not sound optional. 

If Jesus said get baptized and was even baptized himself why would anyone tell people to do the opposite?

Why did the Spirit ascend on Jesus only after he was baptized?

John 3:5, ESV: Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

On 4/30/2022 at 10:58 AM, Sparks said:

Baptism is a great thing to do, and an act of obedience, but it does not save you.  It's symbolic and an a public illustration of our death to sin and new life in Christ.

The blood of Jesus Christ, shed on the cross, provides the sole basis for the forgiveness of sin. His blood sacrifice is what saves.

Exactly. 

Before answering ....look and remember. The Thief on the cross was not baptized by water. he was baptized by faith. 

The Auburn University Basketball Team is in Israel right now. They have completed two games, but have done a lot of sight seeing. Yesterday they were at the river Jordan and the majority of the team was baptized .....I bet no one tells the ones baptized in America that not being Baptized in the Jordan is required. They are in Tel Aviv and it seems no where near the rocket launches from Palestine. 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  290
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Birthday:  08/08/1970

On 4/30/2022 at 11:11 AM, Rosie1jack2pauline3 said:

The word says.

John 3:5

Jesus answered ,I tell you the truth,no- one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and spirit.

Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the spirit gives birth to Spirit.

its not an emotion that fills your heart with love....it’s a birth, which only God can do.that is my belief.born again.

What if one is unable to get Baptized, and he or she believes in God and his only begotten son, can they be Baptized out of desire to be Baptized, through the belief in God and Christ?

Just curious.

Edited by JohnPaul88

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  290
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Birthday:  08/08/1970

2 minutes ago, Rosie1jack2pauline3 said:

We are birthed in the Spirit/ born again, that’s the spiritual birth.

If they are unable to be baptised in water, I don’t think it would matter, because water baptism doesn’t birth you into Christ.

its the Holy Spirit that births us into Christ.

Spirit gives birth to spirit.

Thank you, Rosie, I was baptized a week after birth, I asked because my wife never got baptized and has asked me this question, we don't belong to a Church anymore, and some Churches we have been in require classes and sponsors before they will baptize you.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  6,159
  • Content Per Day:  2.04
  • Days Won:  8

3 hours ago, JohnPaul88 said:

What if one is unable to get Baptized, and he or she believes in God and his only begotten son, can they be Baptized out of desire to be Baptized, through the belief in God and Christ?

Just curious.

As I said early in this post, the blood of Jesus Christ, shed on the cross, provides the sole basis for the forgiveness of sin. His blood sacrifice is what saves.  Anything in addition to faith in Jesus is a works-based salvation.

(ESV) Ephesians 2:8-9 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

(ESV) Titus 3:7 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit

Baptism is an important part of obedience after salvation but cannot be a requirement for salvation.  It does make public your choice to accept the gift of salvation, but it does not save you.  Only Jesus blood does that.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Praise God! 2