• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  1.47
  • Days Won:  0

9 minutes ago, Starise said:

And to be fair each of those needs to be examined in light of scripture. The Bible is our ultimate authority.

Sure all Protestant denominations say that.

2Th 2:15  Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

Isn't the bible those Epistles which Was the traditions taught?  This is scripture.

Edited by Anne2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  7,885
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  3

2 minutes ago, Anne2 said:

Sure all Protestant denominations say that.

2Th 2:15  Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

And that's what the Catholics do.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Your closest friendnt said:

We are made this way that when the time comes we begin to think of ourselves...we feel strong and we do not accept oppression and submission to another man who is calling you his sheep. 

This often happens when the leaders forgets that the sheep is the Lords and not his.

We have all done it. It is the way of Western Culture. I know I have been effected greatly by it.

• Well Said! 1

5 minutes ago, Your closest friendnt said:

And that's what the Catholics do.

Yes I edited my post, to say that. I just quoted the bible speaking of the traditions the apostles taught which Catholics claim. This is scripture. 

Edited by Anne2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.48
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

I tend to stay out of these discussions.

I suggest folks study a variety of sources of church history, as there is much to learn. What happened and why in the second and third century is not complicated.

As to the canon, that we nearly all accept…it was accepted by the Church through the saints before the formal assembly of this canon.

Why and how? Because the truths and vitality of the word was witnessed to by the experience of the saints by the Holy Spirit.

The truths were a reality as the letters and gospels circulated for years. The witness of the Spirit ensured this.

Just now, Anne2 said:

We have all done it. It is the way of Western Culture. I know I have been effected greatly by it.

It was the time we needed that, but then as the time goes by we come to realize that this guy is treating others as if were blind or deprived of their own mind...enough is enough...

We begin to see Jesus more often and beyond the pastor or the institution or whatever that is.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,318
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

54 minutes ago, Anne2 said:

There are Orthodox that rejected that council. Broadbrushing the Original Catholic Church distorts these things. Catholic applies to them all, as does Orthodoxy. Not all the councils apply to all of them. That is why I listed only Two essentials.

In all fairness, the title of this topic doesn't indicate a thorough examination of the head-swimming array of Orthodox schisms, their councils, and the simple fact that "Orthodox" is shorthand driven by necessity.

There are Eastern Catholic churches... there are different liturgical rites... so in the interest of keeping posts topically relevant and preventing them from being a handy means for readers to fall asleep, I refrain from droning on and on. 

Yes, I'm aware that Orthodox organizations are not frozen in time, sister. Many have parted ways (are no longer in communion) over the centuries which is why I'm left with little choice but use that shorthand. 

But this topic primarily refers to Roman Catholicism, so "Catholic" in this topic = The Vatican and The Roman Catholic Church which is ostensibly overseen by the Holy See.

Catholics in the United States, for example, don't always see eye to eye with the Holy See. Some Catholics reject the veneration of Mary; some don't buy into the doctrine of transubstantiation, either. If we were to make allowances for every exception under the sun, our flesh shall return to the dust before everything is said and done!

So here we are in the General discussion forum carrying on a general discussion. Historical Roman Catholic traditions and doctrines are a big subject in this thread. I disagree regarding painting with broad brushes. My argument is a simple one:

Most RCC traditions have no basis in the scriptural record. The same can also be said regarding many common Orthodox traditions. 

Edited by Marathoner
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Anne2 said:

Yes I edited my post, to say that. I just quoted the bible speaking of the traditions the apostles taught which Catholics claim. This is scripture. 

It was the time that the pastor began to speak more and more about Jesus coming to set up an earthly kingdom which is unbiblican. 

And I said nothing, I did not say Amen...and after carefully reading what happened to Jesus and the people who wanted to make him their earthly King...and when Jesus perceived their thinking he said to his disciples "let's get away from them"...and that what I said to the Pastor, reminding what Jesus said to his disciples and I left...he wouldn't listen. 

12 minutes ago, Marathoner said:

But this topic primarily refers to Roman Catholicism, so "Catholic" in this topic = The Vatican and The Roman Catholic Church which is ostensibly overseen by the Holy See.

Then it should be made clear that is the case. However, when what is Catholic is brought into ill repute, based upon what is Roman, is false witness. I am sure none here desire that.

They all have their liturgy, and the eucharistic assembly. Not all teach transubstantiation, celibacy, Icons or statues. etc. And the real presence is not just Catholic, Roman or otherwise. It is also among protestant assemblies. So have a beef with Rome? Have at it. Be Just in your claims.

Edited by Anne2
  • Well Said! 1

The so many teachings taken out of the book of revelation are they Apostolic? 

Are they not mix and stretch with the imagination of the beholder...no matter what someone say he will find followers. 

So much so, that some refuse that we are Judge for what we do now while we live and we are rewarded in this life by our Lord, if not why call him our Lord and our Shepherd. 

At the least the Catholic church has been spare from that...I think so...no sure how to call it...

Edited by Your closest friendnt