debrakay

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,249
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  20

I have been working on a study about the Samaritans to understand why they were so hated by the Jews. 

They were all Israelite's when they came out of Egypt and the desert to settle the Holy Lands. They were all descendants of Jacob whom God renamed Israel.  They were all the promised seed of Abraham.  For years there were 11 separate lands for the tribes with the tribe of Levi not having land as they were the priesthood in the lands.  Then came the splitting of land into Judah and Israel with separate kings as ruler.  Then came the invasions from foreign enemies that scattered them all in foreign lands, eventually bringing some of them back to the Holy Lands. 

The feuding between the descendants of Jacob continued even after they had been disbursed and reassembled back in the lands God had given them. Granted the people in the Northern lands had succumbed to idol worship and intermarriage with the pagans and heathen nations around them and which they had returned from.  But the Jews of Judah, the Southern lands had some issues too.  Hatred is a powerful heart condition that destroys lives.  The Jews wanted the Samaritans destroyed.  They did not recognize them as having any part of the promise of God to Abraham's seed.  It was as if they wanted and desired for them to go to hell.  It seems they did not even try to reconcile with them.

Here is where I would like some insight, wisdom, facts, fresh revelation, etc.  

Matthew 10:5-8  "These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions: “Do not go among the Gentiles or enter any town of the Samaritans. Go rather to the lost sheep of Israel. As you go, proclaim this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven has come near.’ Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give.

Why did Jesus instruct the disciples NOT to go to the Gentiles or Samaritans and only go to the "lost sheep of Israel"? 

Weren't the Samaritans a part of the "lost sheep of Israel" since both Judah and Israel were all descended from Jacob?

If Jesus was sending the disciples to only witness and teach the Jews was it because He knew how hardhearted they were so they needed extra attention?

Was it because the Jewish Religious Snakes...leaders....had called him a Samaritan with a demon in John 8:48 and He knew the Samaritans would listen to the truth eventually?  I thought it was interesting Jesus refuted them calling Him demon possessed but did not comment on them calling Him a Samaritan.  I suppose He knew they were saying "We hate you like we hate Samaritans and you are demon possessed." I read somewhere this was like a racial slur. 

John 8;48 'The Jews answered him, “Aren’t we right in saying that you are a Samaritan and demon-possessed?” 

Who exactly are the "lost sheep of Israel" Jesus is referring to when all of the tribes were initially called the Twelve Tribes of Israel?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around this and learn something from my wise brothers and sisters.  Please be gentle with me as I am theologically challenged and many of those words will go right over my head.  Simple words will help me understand you better.

Thank you and God bless!

Edited by debrakay

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  1

The end of 2 Kings 17:24-41 spells out where the Samaritans came from. They were resettled by the Assyrians and not native to the land. When there was trouble because these people did not know the Lord, a priest was sent to teach the people who Yahweh was. This ultimately ended up in a syncretism of pagan and Israelite beliefs. The language at the end of 2 Kings already shows the distaste for these people by the people of Judah.

Thanks @teddyv I understand the history of the 12 tribes but any thoughts on why Jesus told the disciples not to witness to them but only the “lost souls of Israel”? The Samaritan’s were descendants of Jacob and were also lost souls just like the Jews of Judaea. 

I know Jesus had a reason I just haven’t found the answer to why. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,052
  • Content Per Day:  3.30
  • Days Won:  0

8 hours ago, debrakay said:

Thanks @teddyv I understand the history of the 12 tribes but any thoughts on why Jesus told the disciples not to witness to them but only the “lost souls of Israel”? The Samaritan’s were descendants of Jacob and were also lost souls just like the Jews of Judaea. 

I know Jesus had a reason I just haven’t found the answer to why. 

The division of Israel for Solomon's sins led to the norther tribes descent into idolatry. AS per Chapter 26 of Leviticus and Chapter 28 of Deuteronomy, foreign rulership, military defeat and deportation were the penalties for breaking the Law. When Assyria deported the northern Tribes, they populated the Land with lowlife and criminals. They were a mixture of people and believed in only the Pentateuch, worshiping at Mt. Gerizim instead of Moriah. For all intents and purposes they are regarded as Gentiles by the Jews. The Law of Moses forbids relations between Jew and Gentile, so the Jews not only despised the Samaritan, but shunned him.

When God made His Covenant with Abraham it was made also with his "SEED". God was very specific about who was Heir to the Promises. It was not Ishmael, nor was it the sons of Kerturah. The promises were aimed at Isaac and his seed. But the firstborn of Isaac despised his birthright, so the line of inheritance goes from Abraham via Isaac via Jacob. So when our Lord Jesus arrived some two thousand years later, His duty was to bring the KINGDOM to the SEED of Jacob. God had no Covenant of Promise with the Gentiles, so He spends no energy with them. Because God is  sincere and sticks to His Promises, the advantages of being in Covenant fell ONLY to Israel.

But Israel did not accept Jesus. Their are reasons for this, but the main one was that for Israel to be in line for the INHERITANCE of Canaan, was that they were to turn from their sins. The call by both Jesus and John Baptist was "Repent". For a man to repent he has to admit he is a sinner. And this does not sit well with any man, especially one who has God's Law and believes that he is keeping it. But Jesus, sent by the Father Who had made Covenant with Abraham and his seed, gave Israel their chance to repent and be restored to their former glory as leading nation on earth.

Although Jesus was persecuted and reviled, the full extent of Israel's rejection was only manifested by Chapter 12 of Matthew. there they called God's emissary a servant of Beelzebub. It is at that point that Jesus changes His relationship. He does not deny His "brethren" that came form Mary (the flesh), but He introduces a new type of "Brethren" - those who do the will of His Father.

Jesus' ministry was aimed at Israel UNTIL Israel fully rejected Jesus. They branded Him as the servant of Beelzebub in His RELIGION. And they demanded CAESAR as their king, not the Son of David. Israel's unforgivable sin by attributing the work of the Holy Spirit to Beelzebub, and their call for a Gentile king, sealed their fate. Until this was fully clear, Jesus only approached Israel - the seed of Abraham via Jacob. After this He approaches all men "who have ears".

• Well Said! 2

Thank you so much @AdHoc.  I truly appreciate your input.  Once the Lord plants a seed in my heart to search out a question in scripture He never fails me.  I dig until I find a reasonable answer to the question.  You have helped by providing me with a more insight into why the Samaritans are no longer considered part of the nation of Israel (Jacob).  Even though their blood is from Jacob (the seed of Abraham) it has been diluted and tainted with blood from foreign nations and foreign gods. 

"Seek and you shall find!"  :emot-dance: 

I found a very simple and plausible answer to my question as to why Jesus prevented the disciples from entering into Gentile and Samaritan areas (Matthew 10:5-8). Jesus did this to protected all of the disciples from getting killed or seriously harmed! It makes sense for Jesus to protect these baby disciples from the dangers of those who followed pagan and heathen traditions. It makes sense not to send missionaries out to preach in hostile lands unless they have been properly taught how to handle the situations that will arise.  The Sons of Thunder, James and John, at one point wanted to bring down the fires of heaven on the Samaritans (Luke 9:54).  That's not a good way to witness to the lost sheep. The disciples were Jewish men who had little to no contact with Gentiles, they hated the Samaritan’s considering them traitors to the Jewish faith and pure Hebrew blood and they had not been filled by the power of Holy Spirit at that time.  I believe Jesus was saving the 12 disciples from death.  He did not want to or have the time to start over from scratch.    

I was stuck on thinking the Samaritan’s were descendants of Jacob therefore a part of the “lost sheep of Israel” and deserving of salvation also.  They are deserving, as are all sinners, but it was not the appropriate time for the disciples to preach Jesus Messiah to them.  The disciples were still falling and failing themselves over Jesus' message.  Later on Jesus did send them out into the entire world to preach the Good News to all sinners on earth.

My mind, heart and spirit feel like one more question has been answered and I thank you for assisting in this.  :emot-highfive:

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,628
  • Content Per Day:  1.15

Samaritans were people who thought and worshipped differently than their southern neighbors. so there was a rivalry between the two groups.  But Jesus didn't adhere to that rivalry.  He "witnessed" to the Samaritan woman at the well and His famous parable about kindness involved a Samaritan man (after Jews had passed by).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,052
  • Content Per Day:  3.30

2 hours ago, debrakay said:

Thank you so much @AdHoc.  I truly appreciate your input.  Once the Lord plants a seed in my heart to search out a question in scripture He never fails me.  I dig until I find a reasonable answer to the question.  You have helped by providing me with a more insight into why the Samaritans are no longer considered part of the nation of Israel (Jacob).  Even though their blood is from Jacob (the seed of Abraham) it has been diluted and tainted with blood from foreign nations and foreign gods. 

"Seek and you shall find!"  :emot-dance: 

I found a very simple and plausible answer to my question as to why Jesus prevented the disciples from entering into Gentile and Samaritan areas (Matthew 10:5-8). Jesus did this to protected all of the disciples from getting killed or seriously harmed! It makes sense for Jesus to protect these baby disciples from the dangers of those who followed pagan and heathen traditions. It makes sense not to send missionaries out to preach in hostile lands unless they have been properly taught how to handle the situations that will arise.  The Sons of Thunder, James and John, at one point wanted to bring down the fires of heaven on the Samaritans (Luke 9:54).  That's not a good way to witness to the lost sheep. The disciples were Jewish men who had little to no contact with Gentiles, they hated the Samaritan’s considering them traitors to the Jewish faith and pure Hebrew blood and they had not been filled by the power of Holy Spirit at that time.  I believe Jesus was saving the 12 disciples from death.  He did not want to or have the time to start over from scratch.    

I was stuck on thinking the Samaritan’s were descendants of Jacob therefore a part of the “lost sheep of Israel” and deserving of salvation also.  They are deserving, as are all sinners, but it was not the appropriate time for the disciples to preach Jesus Messiah to them.  The disciples were still falling and failing themselves over Jesus' message.  Later on Jesus did send them out into the entire world to preach the Good News to all sinners on earth.

My mind, heart and spirit feel like one more question has been answered and I thank you for assisting in this.  :emot-highfive:

No doubt our Lord Jesus cared for His disciples. And this is no more clearly seen in Gethsemane when our Lord negotiated the escape of the disciples as He was about to be arrested (Jn.18:8-9). But to get back to your research, Luke 22:24-38 shows the difference in our Lord's approach to "the lost sheep of Israel" and the Gentiles. The text reads;

24 And there was also a strife among them, which of them should be accounted the greatest. 25 And he said unto them, The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and they that exercise authority upon them are called benefactors. 26 But ye shall not be so: but he that is greatest among you, let him be as the younger; and he that is chief, as he that doth serve. 27 For whether is greater, he that sitteth at meat, or he that serveth? is not he that sitteth at meat? but I am among you as he that serveth. 28  Ye are they which have continued with me in my temptations. 29 And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me; 30 That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel. 31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: 32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren. 33 And he said unto him, Lord, I am ready to go with thee, both into prison, and to death. 34 And he said, I tell thee, Peter, the cock shall not crow this day, before that thou shalt thrice deny that thou knowest me. 35 And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing. 36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. 37 For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end. 38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

When our Lord sent His disciples to the cities of Israel, they carried no extra clothes or money. The reason for this is that Israel had had 1,500 years of the Law. And the Law catered for strangers, especially if they were compatriots. The Law required hospitality and even support for men on a mission. But now the Lord has made two profound statements.

1. The Kingdom is ripped from Israel (Matt.21:43)
  2. The Temple, which our Lord called "His Father's House" in John Chapter 2, is now empty (Matt.23:38)

God is finished with POLITICAL and RELIGIOUS Israel until the "times of refreshing". Hosea 6:2 is about to be initiated and Israel's  chastisement is just 40 years away. And now the Disciples will face the Gentiles as they preach the Kingdom. Now they must take a purse and extra clothes, for the Gentiles know nothing of the Law of Moses and its demands. The matter of the swords has created discussion among expositors. Was a disciple to defend himself when attacked because of the gospel? I think not.

When we read the Bible, we should always try to take it literally. If it says that it is a parable, or an obvious picture, or if taking it literally creates an absurdity, we then only turn from the literal. So why did our Lord cal for it? And if there is a picture, what is it? We see that in Gethsemane, "one that was with Jesus did have a sword". And it is used suddenly on a man's ear. Our Lord admonishes the one with a sword, and heals the wounded man's ear. The possible picture contained in this event is not important to your  research, but the literal understanding is. The Lord was preparing His disciples for the persecution to come.

Initially the 12, and later, the 70 came back for the cities of Israel rejoicing. The Spirit was with them and the demons were subject to them. But now a time was dawning when the evil would prosper and disciples would be killed. And so it was. The disciples were initially hunted down by the Jews, and because the disciples preached the Kingdom to the Gentiles, they automatically set themselves up for persecution and martyrdom. Our Lord Jesus let them, nay, even ordered them to furnish two swords so that He could adequately and memorably teach the disciples that He was not behind violent defense. He not only admonishes the disciple that the sword will only get them killed, but He heals the enemy who lost his ear. Our Lord's words and actions set the scene for the whole of the gospel age.

We are to be sheep among wolves. We are to turn the other cheek. We are to help and pray for those who treat us badly. And we must learn that in this age - the age of the gospel, we are to take unjust treatment. The lesson of the sword is learned then in the Garden already. We have a ministry of reconciliation. We are to forego vengeance. We are to take the blows and even death for the gospel's sake. How gently did the lord introduce the futility of a sword against the Nations during this age, for he has given the sword to the Gentiles until Armageddon (Rom.13:4). At Christ's return, vengeance will be executed and the martyrs will be avenged, but until then we are commanded to lay down weapons, but we WILL NEED extra money, clothes and shoes for the gospel.

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  433
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,225
  • Content Per Day:  2.07

As someone said, And I am theologically challenged as well. I am not sure which countries would be considered the Samaritans, and which countries would be considered the Jews, etc, However I can come up with a pretty good idea. It is one population of mankind that rejected God, and continues to do so to this day is what I am understanding from my short, yet so far adventure with the Bible in a few different translations............................................................... Just look at congress, Dare I be controversial............................................................... 

And right now I am not sure I am having an issue with peers, Or an issue with a prodigal son.............................................. :off-topic::headphones:

An atheist makes a better friend to a Gentile than a Jew does. Again, Not trying to be controversial.