• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,508
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

22 hours ago, Sower said:

Same here in south central Texas, but it finally rained a half inch yesterday, first/only rain in over two months.
Last year was the greenest year we can remember, receiving timely rains almost weekly, and now a drought summer.
Got the last tomatoes two weeks ago. Tomatoes cucumbers squash green peppers etc my wife will plant in July for the
fall crop. We have a water well and plenty water but even then the plants wilted. Really cloudless hot 100+ weather this year.

Been considering plowing a larger acre crop with tractor but without a small mesh 6' tall fence now the wildlife will tear it up.
With all the city folk moving out here (sub divisions) now the crowded wildlife has moved to our family acreage and are getting bolder and tamer, when  in the past would never even come close. We have lost most of our fruit/nut trees to the deer, eating the tender bark.
Have designed (not built yet) a digitized battery run scarecrow, with sensors, voice, shooting water, flashing lights and sirens predator calls etc. But researching, found that food and nursery growers say only an eight foot fence will work as the wildlife adapts quickly, and will ignore any man made devices to scare them. The deer in the past would haul buns if they even saw us out side and now they ignore us even while shouting at them. Eight foot permanent fencing an acre is big bucks with today's cost.
And even then, raccoons just climb over them.

"Even in large heavily populated cities the coyotes and raccoons have moved in and become over run in them, living in the abandoned tenement buildings. A mountain lion once tried to enter a hotel in Reno, Nevada, and another has lived in Griffith Park in Los Angeles, Calif., for nearly five years. Black bears have hibernated under houses in New Jersey suburbs and broken in to cabins and cars in many mountain towns. Red foxes have little fear and are now more concentrated in cities than in the wild.
Wild coyotes live an average of two and a half years, whereas urban coyotes can live more than thirteen years."

I hear ya! The critters around here will not allow me to grow certain things; sweet potatoes, grapes, watermelon, cantaloupe, and sweet corn being a few of them. 

The drought here continues with no rain in the seven-day forecast. The crunchy lawn is now becoming concrete hard dry spots. Fortunately for me I am pretty much surrounded by a flood prone area and I wouldn't think it's a good spot to build homes. Hunters and neighbors keep the coyotes and deer in check around here. 

A few years back we literally had a couple hundred deer around here. My closest neighbor and his property work for a deer feeding company, and he has experimental crops and feeders. Long story short, they were decimating another neighbors' crops, so he got a wildlife permit to kill as many as he needed to. He shot dozens of them and let them lay where they fell. The neighbor who commercially feeds all the deer supporting this massive population didn't take too kindly to that and turned him in, it almost came to an exchange of knuckles from what I was told. The Game Warden made him dispose of all those carcasses. 

The deer also destroyed my peach trees on their hind legs breaking the branches to get the peaches off. Such is country life.