ayin jade

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

Business folk are used to reading executive summaries of important documents, and now would-be Christians are to have the same privilege, in the form of a chopped-down Bible that can be read in under two hours.

A Church of England vicar was on Wednesday unveiling his self-styled "100-Minute Bible", an ultra-condensed edition of the Christian holy book which claims to neatly summarise every teaching from the Creation to the Revelation.

The Reverend Michael Hinton was launching his work at Canterbury Cathedral in southern England, the headquarters of the Anglican Church.

Publishers the 100-Minute Press say the book has been written for those who want to know more about Christianity but who do not have the time to read the original in full.

"This is a book for adults and has been written in a style to encourage readers to keep turning the pages, but without resorting to any literary gimmicks," said Len Budd from the publishing firm.

"As the bible itself, the 100-Minute Bible should be a bestseller."

From AFP

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  665
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/10/1978

Whoa Man!

i really don't know what to think of this...

i guess without seeing it for myself i can't judge whether it's a pro or a con...

what do others think???

:wub::huh::noidea::wub::o:taped:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

According to publicity for the book, the 100-Minute Bible "picks out the principle stories of the life and ministry of its central character, Jesus Christ."

"The social and theological context of these stories is provided by outlining the ups and downs of the history of his nation, the Jews. It then proceeds to record the story of the growth of Christianity during the first century; firstly amongst the Jews themselves; then amongst the other peoples living in Israel and then throughout the eastern Mediterranean, even as far as Rome."

That is from CNN.

Im curious to know what are the central tenets of the bible, in their eyes. Will they state that Jesus is the only way to God?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  88
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I have a hundred minute Bible too: its the book of John and Revelation. and I don't get my name taken out of the book for reading from them. :noidea:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,961
  • Content Per Day:  0.76

Im curious to know what are the central tenets of the bible, in their eyes. Will they state that Jesus is the only way to God?

exactley :noidea:

I will probably check it out. I guess you can get a "basic" learning first, but I would never advocate that this take the place of the bible. Theres way to many lessons to be learned and insight in our original.

I don't even think I would call it a bible, maybe a basic overview, but not a bible. And like Ayin Jade I will be curious to see what they feel is important to include in the 100 minutes. :wub:

On the upside maybe it will lead more people to read the real thing. :taped:

Love and Blessings,

Angel

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

If nothing else, we can glory that (maybe!) Christ is being preached!

Guest The Chief

I have believed that the Bible that we have now is the Word of God, COMPLETE, as in God giving us neither more nor less than He wished revealed to us. Don't see how the "Reader's Digest" version could possibly come anywhere near as fulfilling or as concise as the more accepted translations; it would leave one to wonder what areas were "cut" or "edited" to keep this book within it's 100 minute advertised limit.

As far as a title, I'd suggest something like, "Hinton's Survey of the Entire Bible, Condensed Version."

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  161
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

You don't need the entire Bible to preach the gospel. Look at the sermons in Acts - many of them are simply ultra-condensed versions of the OT and gospels. The apostles were selective in their preaching, telling the audience what was most important and relevant to them. (E.g. the contrast between Paul's sermons to the Jews in Thessalonica and the Pagans in Athens!)

As the author of the project has said this is for people who otherwise would not have bothered trying to read the whole Bible; it is obviously not intended as a substitute. It also acts as a companion to the Bible as it sets the books in their historical and literary contexts, which is vital when trying to understand their message 2,000 years on.

It definitely sounds like a good idea to me. :noidea:

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

I think it is a step in the right direction. At least it's turning peoples mind towards Jesus. Who knows, maybe they will want to know more. Kinda like handing out tracts.......more or less. :noidea:

e