Mike Mclees

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.80
  • Days Won:  0

The best way to beat smoking.  Don't smoke the first one.

the best way to beat alcoholism.  Don't drink the first one

I am not trying to be a smart guy. I have been there and done that and been to the brink of hopelessness praying for God to set me free, but never give up. If you give up you will die. If you fall get back up and keep walking with Christ at your side. He is our hope. Jesus said to the disciples in John 6 will you also turn and go away. Peter said, where can we go?:  only you have the words of life.

Scripture says There is nothing that has overtaken us that the Lord 

will not show us the way out. He alone can deliver us. 

I pray for those who stumbled even many time. May God be your strength 

Edited by Mike Mclees
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

19 minutes ago, Mike Mclees said:

The best way to beat smoking.  Don't smoke the first one.

the best way to beat alcoholism.  Don't drink the first one. 

I am not trying to be a smart guy. I have been there and done that and been to the brink of hopelessness praying for God to set me free, but never give up. If you give up you will die. If you fall get back up and keep walking with Christ at your side. He is our hope. Jesus said to the disciples in John 6 will you also turn and go away. Peter said, where can we go?:  only you have the words of life.

Scripture says There is nothing that has overtaken us that the Lord 

will not show us the way out. He alone can deliver us. 

I pray for those who stumbled even many time. May God be your strength 

First of all smoking and alcoholism are not bad habits they are addictions. If they were a habit such as biting your fingernails it would be easy to break it. There are three drugs in our world today that are acceptable to our world and that is nicotine, alcohol and caffeine. Marajuana is quickly becoming legal and acceptable to 19 states. Let us look at why a person picks up that first cigarette and alcohol drink. Maybe a person who smokes that first cigarette will get sick and hate it and never pick up a cigarette again. That would be good. Why does a person become addicted to smoking? What about that person who chooses to have their first drink of alcohol. What makes that person become an alcoholic and not just a person who has an occasional drink of alcohol? Are these people self medicating themselves? What is going on in that person to need to be self medicated? 

Let's take a look at caffeine. It is a drug. Have you ever noticed that there is a coffee barista on every corner of the street? Many can not even wake up without that first cup of coffee. People in our world today are obsessed with coffee. But no one will ever put caffeine in the same category as smoking or alcohol. Why?

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Rosie1jack2pauline3 said:

Smoking can also be a physiological habit.

Smoking is strickly an addiction. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Rosie1jack2pauline3 said:

It’s also what I googled, only I spelt it wrong, sorry...I agree it’s also an addiction..I was also a smoker, I gave up 30 yrs ago and found it very easy to quit.

That is good that you quit smoking 30 years ago. But everyone reacts to these 3 drugs differently. Alcohol, nicotine and caffeine. Some can have an occasional drink with going out to dinner or a Holiday and others are addicted after that first drink. Have you ever been to a Starbucks at 7:00 in the morning? It is scary. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Smoking is strickly an addiction. 

Yes Missmuffet you would be right. I stand corrected. Habits are more easily controlled. Habits are many and apply to almost anything. Like getting up in the morning and what side of the bed sleep. Maby the cup of coffee you drink . How ever I pray for the message to encourage and strengthen those who are in need of help, and that was the point.  Be blessed.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mike Mclees said:

Yes Missmuffet you would be right. I stand corrected. Habits are more easily controlled. Habits are many and apply to almost anything. Like getting up in the morning and what side of the bed sleep. Maby the cup of coffee you drink . How ever I pray for the message to encourage and strengthen those who are in need of help, and that was the point.  Be blessed.

There are many who need help. Of course a Christian can be addicted. It will not keep them out of heaven if they are a born again Christian and they will ask God for help with these addictions. They are not going to overcome the addiction on their own. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Rosie1jack2pauline3 said:

No, I have never been to a Starbucks at 7.0am , why would it be scary?..MM.😀

People can't function without their first cup of coffee. The world is in denial that coffee is actually a drug and has side effects.With all three drugs alcohol, caffeine and nicotine there will be withdrawals if they suddenly stop the drug. 

Edited by missmuffet
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

People can't function without their first cup of coffee. With all three drugs alcohol, caffeine and nicotine there will be withdrawals if they suddenly stop the drug. 

Yes, and thank you again Missmuffet. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Mike Mclees said:

Yes, and thank you again Missmuffet. 

You are welcome and God bless. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,711
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

7 hours ago, missmuffet said:

First of all smoking and alcoholism are not bad habits they are addictions. If they were a habit such as biting your fingernails it would be easy to break it. There are three drugs in our world today that are acceptable to our world and that is nicotine, alcohol and caffeine. Marajuana is quickly becoming legal and acceptable to 19 states. Let us look at why a person picks up that first cigarette and alcohol drink. Maybe a person who smokes that first cigarette will get sick and hate it and never pick up a cigarette again. That would be good. Why does a person become addicted to smoking? What about that person who chooses to have their first drink of alcohol. What makes that person become an alcoholic and not just a person who has an occasional drink of alcohol? Are these people self medicating themselves? What is going on in that person to need to be self medicated? 

Let's take a look at caffeine. It is a drug. Have you ever noticed that there is a coffee barista on every corner of the street? Many can not even wake up without that first cup of coffee. People in our world today are obsessed with coffee. But no one will ever put caffeine in the same category as smoking or alcohol. Why?

Because caffeine while not healthy for you, isn't as bad for you. Drinking 5 cans of dew or a venti cappuccino won't cause you to wreak your car, and doesn't alter your mental faculties in the same way as alcohol, and won't give you copd and lung cancer in the same way as smoking.

It's also typically not as addicting.

Though, believe it or not bad habits are addictions as well, mental addiction is a thing. Think about it...name something you've been in the habit of doing every single day for your entire life and then try just stopping. 

Now back to caffeine...yes it's a drug...no it's not good for you. But it's not mind altering.  But, it should also be noted the Bible doesn't directly prohibit smoking or caffeine, it does say to take care of our bodies, but neither are prohibited. And the Bible only prohibits getting drunk, it doesn't say you can't drink.

In fact alcohol in small portions can be good for you, same with marijuana. Caffeine, has its place, I wouldn't last long in the winter without my coffee lol.

And smoking...no positive uses I can think of but neither is it the unpardonable sin.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1