IGNORED

Christians and War (Kill 'em All)

Guest swaltonb2003

Guest swaltonb2003

I've just been reading some of the posts here and I noticed something rather alarming. Since when do Christians support war? Is there a book in the Bible that I missed? I seem to remember Jesus saying something about loving everyone including your enemies. I know that that's not easy but I didn't realize that so many Christians had given up trying.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,946
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/06/1979

I've just been reading some of the posts here and I noticed something rather alarming. Since when do Christians support war? Is there a book in the Bible that I missed? I seem to remember Jesus saying something about loving everyone including your enemies. I know that that's not easy but I didn't realize that so many Christians had given up trying.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am a Christian and I support the war. I am also a United States Marine. Are you going to tell me that I cannot be a Christian and be in the military? I heard that before. We can love people, we just don't have to like them.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

No one has given up, we just got tired of being blown up.

t.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  161
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Hi swaltonb,

While (as the replies so far indicate) Christians are supposed to love their enemies, pursue peace and avoid hostility, they also have a responsibility as citizens of their country (for example see Paul in Romans 13.)

From this the case can be made that if the government of one's country calls citizens to arms, Christians should participate. It's not an issue that has 100% consensus as it is obviously open to interpretation; some would say this is OK when the military action is in self-defence but would not support aggression against another country, others (myself included) would prefer to seek peaceful resolution at any cost.

But I am sure there isn't a single Christian here who actually wants to be at war with anyone. Those who view it as "necessary" I am sure do so with great reluctance.

Hope that helps,

Fenwar

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  972
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  07/07/1964

It's not about supporting war............it's about supporting justice. So if someone murders a family, robs a bank or rapes 20 women.........we should just love'm and let them walk the street? :noidea:

Oh and there's nothing false about this war were in now...........terrorist are trying to kill us!!!!!!!!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  274
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  01/05/1969

I am pressed for time and cannot answer as fully as I would like, but let me just say this. Sometimes war is necessary. We were not led into this war under false pretenses, as many would like to believe.

I was in the first Gulf War. I was a machinegunner in the Marine Corps. We may not have discovered WMD this time as was expected, but I will tell you first hand that Saddam Hussein had them. I know, he used small amounts of chemical weapons directly against my unit, also contrary to what you ever heard in the news. I saw the crimes and atrocities he committed against the people of Kuwait and Iraq. It was very bad, very bad.

I also know what it is like to have another human being in the sights of your weapon, and to make that ultimate choice. You do what is necessary, given the situation you are in.

Saddam Hussein was a true threat to our country, and to many innocent people. Having been there, I don't say it lightly, but sometimes, war is necessary.

I can discuss this further when I have more time, if anyone would like.

• Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  473
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Romans 13:1-7

1Peter 2:13-14

Do these verses not indicate that God gives governments the responsibility of carrying out punishment on those who commit deadly atrocities? Wouldn't that responsibility include waging war when necessary against those involved?

I hardly think anyone wants to go to war, be away from families, possibly die, kill others......

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Deacon and Swanton: Your selective use of Scripture betrays either an severe misunderstanding of the Word of God, or duplicity.

Jesus exhorted His disciples in the very soberest of words to 'buy a sword.' Do you think swords are used in tiddly-winks?

Jesus Himself said He came '...to bring a sword....'

It is entirely possible to 'love your neighbor' even while you are at war with them. One of my favorite Robert E. Lee quotes is this one, wherein he is speaking of fighting the North, during the War of Northern Aggression; saying he always fought to win, he nonetheless "....never felt rancor toward them, and a day has never passed in which I failed to pray for them."

This is exactly how I feel toward the Moslem world. At least once a day, I pray for the whole Moslem world, yet I support the war on terrorism, and I fault G.W. Bush for not prosecuting it more vigorously.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I would.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,227
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  08/19/1964

I would.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ME TOO. I would like to hear a first hand account instead of a politically driven agenda.