IGNORED

Does anyone ever feel invisible on the internet ? Like, You have this silent feeling from a flat way of communication ?

believeinHim

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,414
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

I don't, but I mostly prefer to talk to people one on one or in very small groups. It doesn't feel particularly flat to me and as a social anxiety sufferer it's a lot less stressful to me. If anything I feel more visible and able to communicate what I want to.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  265
  • Content Per Day:  0.44

9 hours ago, believeinHim said:

Well, Honestly I have come to find out I like the ghost town feeling. I am just confused on the internet. I don't pick up on people's cues and half the time I am ruminating or rapid cycling. It's so confusing. 

Well, as far as people's cues, maybe a poster didn't mean to convey one. Sometimes it is hard to determine what a poster is trying to convey. Sometimes one poster may not know how to express themselves clearly. Or it could be a case in which a poster is growing, and their own understanding of things is changing as he or she goes along in a thread. And so, one writer seems confusing to reader.

Edited by NCAP

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.45

If you don't know what a person means, this can mean you have not gotten to know the person. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,117
  • Content Per Day:  9.69
  • Days Won:  149

Feeling invisible is probably a common feeling generally speaking for many in society for various reasons. 

We can do things that cause others to avoid us for one reason or another and maybe this is why we don't feel visible. It isn't that we aren't visible, it is that we are being avoided.

In order for others to understand, communication should be understandable and relevant to either the conversation or other's common experiences, or at least something they have enough interest to comment on. 

Most people like to participate in a discussion that includes and even encourages their input or thoughts. A lot of people don't seem to understand that threads and posts are intended for two way open exchange. If I want a book, I'll go buy a book because it's easier to read a book in paper form than a book online in a forum format.

Some posts are more about making long statements than encouraging comments. Maybe some like these, I do no tend to like those as much. The Bible is largely a book of absolutes, we just don't always know what they are and it helps to have help to understand at times. Threads where people talk around a subject to better examine it are ideal. 

If you don't want to remain invisible online, simply disagree with everyone about everything all the time. LOL.

Edited by Starise
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  433
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,223
  • Content Per Day:  2.07

I don't feel invisible in person at all, I feel like I stand out like a sore thumb in person. But, on the internet it is just a silent,

Flat feeling of whether or not, Did I offend the person or not, and etc. It's a silent, Flat feeling of a kind of response you are supposed to have. I don't get it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I never feel invisible in person, I wish I did feel invisible in person, I feel flat and misunderstood on the internet. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,117
  • Content Per Day:  9.69
  • Days Won:  149

28 minutes ago, believeinHim said:

I don't feel invisible in person at all, I feel like I stand out like a sore thumb in person. But, on the internet it is just a silent,

Flat feeling of whether or not, Did I offend the person or not, and etc. It's a silent, Flat feeling of a kind of response you are supposed to have. I don't get it. 

From what I know about you, which is very little. I don't believe you offend people.

One thing that might help- Find some other activities you enjoy, that way if you feel let down you haven't made the internet your entire world. The internet can be a great place to meet people. It can also be a downer when it doesn't seem people understand you or they don't respond to you. I sometimes see your posts but I don't know how to respond to them, so I don't.

• Thumbs Up 1

Home is my safety net and I think you don't know how to respond because you are not a licensed Psychiatrist with a PhD. :24:

I am just wondering if I am going to even get off of the forums now, too. My whole world is not the internet And it's insulting anyone would insinuate it. I am disabled and I think your issue is not understanding a Severe Disability in the Brain. I have never felt more secure, Nor this well taken care of and the only thing I am missing is a husband. Considering leaving the internet entirely next. This is the only thing I am hanging on to in terms of people outside of my immediate household.

I have left the internet mostly entirely, I have not gone back to it entirely. Most of my feet are almost out the door entirely, Not the other way around. 

Edited by believeinHim

I think you are thinking that my whole world is the internet due to the length of my posts. I type 90 wpm so a long post takes me 2 min. Or less. I have already tried a typing experience and I was still not accurate enough. 

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

42 minutes ago, Starise said:

From what I know about you, which is very little. I don't believe you offend people.

One thing that might help- Find some other activities you enjoy, that way if you feel let down you haven't made the internet your entire world. The internet can be a great place to meet people. It can also be a downer when it doesn't seem people understand you or they don't respond to you. I sometimes see your posts but I don't know how to respond to them, so I don't.

I am very, very selective of who I communicate with on the computer. Business associates, family and most people on Worthy. That is my boundary.