• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.53
  • Days Won:  12

3 hours ago, Dirt Eaters said:

I appreciate what you're trying to say David, but I don't think it would be right not to accept correction. Because sometimes we need to be corrected.

Wasn't there a disagreement between Paul and Peter at one point. If they who were both baptized in the Holy Spirit can come to disagreements then I think that it's likely that we could too

Yes, you're right.

That part of my post was intended as a paraphrase of the other poster's advice, which I thought was very unhelpful.

In the body of Christ, we need each other; so, it's important to listen to those with more experience (which does not mean that they are always right - test everything against what the Bible says).  I've had to be corrected, on occasions, and the Lord has sometimes used brothers or sisters in the Lord to do it.

Incidentally, thank you for the pleasant tone of your post (I mean it).

Edited by David1701

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  225
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0

23 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Don't put words in my mouth. 

I had that problem here too of people putting words in my mouth

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  908
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,653
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

On 10/9/2022 at 12:02 PM, Dirt Eaters said:

Have you ever noticed how Christians or maybe certain denominations of Christians pick and choose what they really want to believe. I'm a member of the Assembly of God and yet I've been a Christian for 5 months. And in reading the scriptures I keep finding things that puzzle me. Puzzle me in the sense that, why is it, when I ask questions on certain subjects that the first thing that comes out of someone's mouth is so you're a Catholic now.

It's like they have a defensive mechanism where they cannot answer the question. 

I mean if I look at the other subject that I have which is a predestination then everybody and their brother will quote scripture that has that phrase predestination in it to convince me of it.

So if we're using specific wordage that's used in the scripture why aren't we doing a few other things like calling Mary blessed. 

I mean if we believe that the scripture is Jesus's Word. Then isn't it Christ himself who is telling us through Mary from this day forward all nations will call me blessed?

There are a few other things too when you think about it. For instance one of the pastors heard me say out loud "I hope you're having a wonderful day blessed Mary."

Any rebuked me on a couple different things one was talking to the dead and the other one was calling Mary blessed.

I found his whole rebuke thing kind of odd. Because if we believe that people who die in the Lord are with the Lord, then they're not dead after all, are they?

And if you don't think Mary is in heaven then you're probably more messed up than I am. Because the whole idea of a woman who receives a message from an angel that becomes pregnant not having any time with a man. And gives birth and has all the crazy things that took place to Jesus at the birth and so on happened to you if you if you stand after all that and deny that all that experience was for real then there's something seriously wrong with that person. 

And you that cannot believe that Mary is in heaven you have a problem really. I don't need the scripture to sit there and tell me that Mary's in heaven to know that she is.

Or maybe about this do you guys believe that the apostles were baptized before they received the baptism of the spirit. I certainly do especially those that came from John the Baptist. I don't need to have the scripture sit there and tell me that they were to believe that they were. I know that they were baptized with water by John the Baptist before receiving the baptism of the Holy Spirit. And the baptism of the Holy Spirit was not the thing that made the apostles actually believe that Jesus was the Lord either. We can see that Peter spoke and said that he was the Messiah. 

So what I'm talking about in selective Christianity is how we you and I come to some conclusions or are taught certain conclusions that are misleading at best. And I think that pastors need to really knuckle down on some of the stuff. Come to a serious conclusion and not just complain and say well if you think that way you're a Catholic or if you think that way you're not Christian or this or that because it's in the scripture plain and simple

We say that we are Christians maybe we should start actually believing in what we say we are.

Jesus the LORD said that the traditions of man nullify the Word of God and make worship of him in vain (Mark 7:13 / Mark 7:7). 

There is a biblical procedure / method of studying and reading the scriptures that avoid the traditions of man and our own confusion by allowing He who wrote the Bible to interpret the Bible (which the passage states we are to know first).

You would think what we are to know first would be "Jesus saves" or "God is God and no one else is was or ever will be" or "You need a Savior..."

But no, the Bible teaches we are to let God interpret His own Word.

As zealous as God is about his name, Psalm 138:2 concludes that God magnifies His Word above even His name.

We should take deliberate notice of how important the Word of god is to God.

2 Peter 1:20–21 (KJV)
20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

"Prophecy" is to profess. As you will note in my signature, by definition prophecy is not just predictive prophecy as many assume. It can speak to the past, present, or the future.

1. So this verse (above) refers to scripture in terms "no portion" of scripture is of any private interpretation. 
  2. The scripture and interpretation comes not by the will of man (that means any human being)
  3. But the Prophets spake / wrote as God the Holy Spirit moved / inspired them
  4. Ergo, God the Holy Spirit alone interprets the Bible correctly

Then there is a method to test the spirits to be certain the interpretation is truly from the Holy Spirit (1 John 4:1) by the scriptures themselves (Acts 17:11) under the tutelage of the Holy Spirit who leads us to all truth (John 16:13).

Hope helps.

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,301
  • Content Per Day:  3.61

On 10/9/2022 at 10:02 AM, Dirt Eaters said:

And you that cannot believe that Mary is in heaven you have a problem really. I don't need the scripture to sit there and tell me that Mary's in heaven to know that she is.

If you ever want to see if there are any Scriptures you may not yet have come across (showing she IS IN HEAVEN), let me know what you have, and I will see if I have some different ones, and maybe get a few myself.  

On 10/30/2022 at 11:13 AM, JohnD said:

Jesus the LORD said that the traditions of man nullify the Word of God and make worship of him in vain (Mark 7:13 / Mark 7:7). 

There is a biblical procedure / method of studying and reading the scriptures that avoid the traditions of man and our own confusion by allowing He who wrote the Bible to interpret the Bible (which the passage states we are to know first).

You would think what we are to know first would be "Jesus saves" or "God is God and no one else is was or ever will be" or "You need a Savior..."

But no, the Bible teaches we are to let God interpret His own Word.

As zealous as God is about his name, Psalm 138:2 concludes that God magnifies His Word above even His name.

We should take deliberate notice of how important the Word of god is to God.

2 Peter 1:20–21 (KJV)
20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

"Prophecy" is to profess. As you will note in my signature, by definition prophecy is not just predictive prophecy as many assume. It can speak to the past, present, or the future.

1. So this verse (above) refers to scripture in terms "no portion" of scripture is of any private interpretation. 
  2. The scripture and interpretation comes not by the will of man (that means any human being)
  3. But the Prophets spake / wrote as God the Holy Spirit moved / inspired them
  4. Ergo, God the Holy Spirit alone interprets the Bible correctly

Then there is a method to test the spirits to be certain the interpretation is truly from the Holy Spirit (1 John 4:1) by the scriptures themselves (Acts 17:11) under the tutelage of the Holy Spirit who leads us to all truth (John 16:13).

Hope helps.

I know that I tend to pay attention to words, even little details.

In the Gospel of John the first chapter I think you will find the answer that you were looking for.

John's gospel States, "in the beginning was the Word, the Word was with God, and the Word was God." Then later on in the same chapter it states, "and the Word became flesh and dwelt Among Us."

We understand that the Word is Jesus.

And now you know why the Word is so important to God. Or as it states in Scripture, all things were made for Jesus and every knee shall Bend for his name.

I think you'll find this completely agrees with what you've written

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  908
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,653
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

19 minutes ago, Dirt Eaters said:

I know that I tend to pay attention to words, even little details.

I believe you'd really appreciate the teaching of the late Doctor Chuck Missler (Koinonia House Ministry) he got into the nooks and crannies of scripture.

Until he went into the ministry himself he taught Bible classes one night a week at Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa, California. If you can't get into his exhaustive library of sermons and Bible studies at K-House, try Calvary Chapel. We used to attend Horizon Christian Fellowship during our 14 years in San Diego. There they had cassettes of every Missler study he did at CCCM. 

A very staunch teacher on Acts 17:11 which he said means don't take his (or anyone else's) word for it. Study the scriptures. 

Also the late Walter Martin has a listening library at (WalterMartin.org) which his daughter and son-in-law maintain.

Martin founded Christian Research Institute.

7 hours ago, JohnD said:

I believe you'd really appreciate the teaching of the late Doctor Chuck Missler (Koinonia House Ministry) he got into the nooks and crannies of scripture.

Until he went into the ministry himself he taught Bible classes one night a week at Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa, California. If you can't get into his exhaustive library of sermons and Bible studies at K-House, try Calvary Chapel. We used to attend Horizon Christian Fellowship during our 14 years in San Diego. There they had cassettes of every Missler study he did at CCCM. 

A very staunch teacher on Acts 17:11 which he said means don't take his (or anyone else's) word for it. Study the scriptures. 

Also the late Walter Martin has a listening library at (WalterMartin.org) which his daughter and son-in-law maintain.

Martin founded Christian Research Institute.

Ok so you seem resonable, on a different subject. I have this question. When i ask at church, all i get is sarcasm.

We understand that Jesus is the author of the scripture. And the scripture even states the this is via the Holy Spirit. Mary says, "from this day forward, all nations will call me blessed"

The comments other than sarcasm include, that is catholic teaching.

So, they believe the catholics came before the scripture, how absurd. Why are Christians not observing that Mary is blessed. I never hear anyone ever referred to Mary as blessed Mary Mother of Jesus.

I know that Jesus says that anyone can be the mother the fact is that only one person was the mother and she said yes. I think that we should at least have some respect for Mary and not throw her in a corner as if she was nothing. People have more respect for Queen Elizabeth than they do blessed Mary the mother of Jesus.

It just seems to me that Jesus and the Holy Spirit are the ones that feel it is important to have it written in the scripture. Otherwise why would it be in the scripture in the first place if there was not some importance put to blessed Mary.

Edited by Dirt Eaters

48 minutes ago, Dirt Eaters said:

Ok so you seem resonable, on a different subject. I have this question. When i ask at church, all i get is sarcasm.

We understand that Jesus is the author of the scripture. And the scripture even states the this is via the Holy Spirit. Mary says, "from this day forward, all nations will call me blessed"

The comments other than sarcasm include, that is catholic teaching.

So, they believe the catholics came before the scripture, how absurd. Why are Christians not observing that Mary is blessed. I never hear anyone ever referred to Mary as blessed Mary Mother of Jesus.

I know that Jesus says that anyone can be the mother the fact is that only one person was the mother and she said yes. I think that we should at least have some respect for Mary and not throw her in a corner as if she was nothing. People have more respect for Queen Elizabeth than they do blessed Mary the mother of Jesus.

It just seems to me that Jesus and the Holy Spirit are the ones that feel it is important to have it written in the scripture. Otherwise why would it be in the scripture in the first place if there was not some importance put to blessed Mary.

Mary was indeed blessed by God; however, the reason for that was not that she was the mother of Jesus; rather, it was because she heard the word of God and kept it.

Luke 11:27,28 (WEB)

27  It came to pass, as he said these things, a certain woman out of the multitude lifted up her voice, and said to him, “Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts which nursed you!”  

28  But he said, “On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God, and keep it.”

Anyone who hears the word of God and keeps it is blessed.

Part of the trouble here is that Roman Catholicism teaches that Mary was blessed in ways that are untrue; e.g., they teach that she was born sinless; they teach that Jesus was sinless because she was; they teach that Mary is the Queen of Heaven, Mediatrix and Co-redemptrix; and, they teach that she ascended into heaven without dying.

The above means that the expression "blessed Mary" carries a great deal of baggage with it, and most genuine Christians (if they know about the issues) would not use it at all.

• Well Said! 1

1 hour ago, David1701 said:

Mary was indeed blessed by God; however, the reason for that was not that she was the mother of Jesus; rather, it was because she heard the word of God and kept it.

Luke 11:27,28 (WEB)

27  It came to pass, as he said these things, a certain woman out of the multitude lifted up her voice, and said to him, “Blessed is the womb that bore you, and the breasts which nursed you!”  

28  But he said, “On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God, and keep it.”

Anyone who hears the word of God and keeps it is blessed.

Part of the trouble here is that Roman Catholicism teaches that Mary was blessed in ways that are untrue; e.g., they teach that she was born sinless; they teach that Jesus was sinless because she was; they teach that Mary is the Queen of Heaven, Mediatrix and Co-redemptrix; and, they teach that she ascended into heaven without dying.

The above means that the expression "blessed Mary" carries a great deal of baggage with it, and most genuine Christians (if they know about the issues) would not use it at all.

Sorry to disagree with you but I feel blessed knowing that Mary an average everyday person was willing to say yes and believe in faith that she would become the mother of Jesus. So yeah she would be special to me at least. Maybe not so much to you because you're a guy you don't quite understand that. I'm not a mother but I have a deep love for children, and I think that's inherent with women that have accepted Jesus as Lord. Maybe there's something special in that accepting Jesus for women to have a deeper sense of nurturing.

So at least for me I think it's good to say blessed Mary. And if others don't like it it's their problem

• Loved it! 1

2 hours ago, Dirt Eaters said:

Sorry to disagree with you but I feel blessed knowing that Mary an average everyday person was willing to say yes and believe in faith that she would become the mother of Jesus. So yeah she would be special to me at least. Maybe not so much to you because you're a guy you don't quite understand that. I'm not a mother but I have a deep love for children, and I think that's inherent with women that have accepted Jesus as Lord. Maybe there's something special in that accepting Jesus for women to have a deeper sense of nurturing.

So at least for me I think it's good to say blessed Mary. And if others don't like it it's their problem

As I said, Mary was blessed by God, there is no doubt about it; but, Jesus made clear the situation in which someone is blessed (hearing the word of God and keeping it), and that that is contrary to what the female bystander claimed.

Luke 11:27,28 (WEB)

• Thumbs Up 1