IGNORED

Catholics Vs. Protestants (I don't get it)

Not of the World

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  1.83
  • Days Won:  1

2 minutes ago, Starise said:

John 3

New International Version

Jesus Teaches Nicodemus

3 Now there was a Pharisee, a man named Nicodemus who was a member of the Jewish ruling council. 2 He came to Jesus at night and said, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the signs you are doing if God were not with him.”

3 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.[a]”

4 “How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!”

5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”[d]

Sometimes it is referred to as being 'saved', sometimes 'born again'.

In this text Nicodemus was a little perplexed to understand what Jesus was trying to tell him.

Most of us have heard someone say that they were like a new person after some event happened in their life or " I just wasn't the same after so and so happened". After COVID we all hear about the 'new normal'

So being born again is a life transition in a person where Christ desires to make you a new person, a new creature with different desires and spiritual insight coming from Him. A definite transition happens. This begins a process that takes time to mature. Even though a person is instantly born again, God begins working on them. Some things happen suddenly, while other take more time. You KNOW there has been a change though.

It begins with a desire to come to Christ realizing the terrible price He paid for our sins in going to the cross. Looking at His sacrifice for all of us gives us some insight into the intensity of our sins which He died to cover. We confess those sins to Him and ask forgiveness though His blood shed for us. We accept his sacrifice. Like a cocoon that turns from a caterpillar into a beautiful butterfly, we are "Born Again" as a new creature through Christ.

A person will find that after they are born again, their desires will change and the things they once did, they will often suddenly stop or change to the things that are more pleasing to the Lord. This is one of the outward ways you will know you have been born again.

That's an amazing post that you wrote!  I don't know if it's all true but it's beautifully said.  

I don't know if I'm "born again" or not but being that I don't know probably means that it hasn't yet happened for me.  But, again, I don't know nor am I really worried about it.  I will continue to try and become closer to God and getting "born again" will (hopefully) eventually happen for me.  

But I want to say THANK YOU for your amazing insights and, from the bottom of my heart, God bless you for sharing them!  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,879
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  3

57 minutes ago, Not of the World said:

One thing is for certain, the RCC is very much "of the world".  They are a recognized nation and participate in the U.N.  I tell my Catholic friends this and then ask them to read what the Bible says about "the world" but they blow it off.  I was a Catholic for the first 50 years of my life (I'm 56) but I was never remotely "hardcore" about it.  In fact, I hated going to Mass because I was bored out of my mind.  Looking back I now realize that I wasn't into it because it's, well, empty.  I went to a school board meeting at the behest of my wife (years ago) and during the meeting I quietly whispered to her "this is worse than church".  LOL.  Anyway, most Catholics have no idea why they're Catholic.  The actual hardcore Catholics are virtual cultists.  I'm thankful that the good Lord gave me sufficient vision to get off that path and onto the path prescribed by Christ.  

As a Catholic did you believe that Jesus is devine and did you celebrate good friday the death of Jesus and Easter Sunday the resurrection of Jesus from the dead...

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26

John 3

New International Version

Jesus Teaches Nicodemus

3 Now there was a Pharisee, a man named Nicodemus who was a member of the Jewish ruling council. 2 He came to Jesus at night and said, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the signs you are doing if God were not with him.”

3 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.[a]”

4 “How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!”

Jesus responded to Nicodemus with the following:

Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? - Jhn 3:10 

It was expected of Nicodemus who is trained in the scriptures' to understand the meaning of the new birth based on scriptures.  So where is the new birth teaching spoken of in the OT scriptures.  

Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn [yourselves] from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin. Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel? - Eze 18:30-31 

Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do [them]. - Eze 36:25-27 KJV

Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day [that] I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD: But this [shall be] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more. - Jer 31:31-34 KJV

The new birth is God taking out the old corrupted heart and giving you a new clean heart birth by the Spirit of God and has his Laws written upon them giving us the power and nature to obey them.  

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. - Jhn 1:12-13 KJV

And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked. - 1Jo 2:3-6 KJV

• This is Worthy 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Praise God! 1

2 minutes ago, Your closest friendnt said:

As a Catholic did you believe that Jesus is devine and did you celebrate good friday the death of Jesus and Easter Sunday the resurrection of Jesus from the dead...

Yes to all.  

1 minute ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

Does anybody actually keep his commandments without fail?  I don't.  I hopoe that Jesus will nevertheless forgive me (I am contrite) and fix me.  

3 minutes ago, Jedi4Yahweh said:

Jesus responded to Nicodemus with the following:

Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? - Jhn 3:10 

It was expected of Nicodemus who is trained in the scriptures' to understand the meaning of the new birth based on scriptures.  So where is the new birth teaching spoken of in the OT scriptures.  

Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn [yourselves] from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin. Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel? - Eze 18:30-31 

Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do [them]. - Eze 36:25-27 KJV

Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day [that] I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD: But this [shall be] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more. - Jer 31:31-34 KJV

The new birth is God taking out the old corrupted heart and giving you a new clean heart birth by the Spirit of God and has his Laws written upon them giving us the power and nature to obey them.  

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. - Jhn 1:12-13 KJV

And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked. - 1Jo 2:3-6 KJV

By the way, amazing post.  Thank you!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,125
  • Content Per Day:  9.67
  • Days Won:  149

55 minutes ago, Not of the World said:

I see your point.  However, unlike other faith systems, the RCC does teach that Jesus is the path to salvation.  I disagree with most (if not all) of their peripheral teachings but their main tenets on Christ are correct, are they not?  

Let me ask you this.  Is the RCC closer to the mark (so to speak) than, let's say, the Mormon faith?  

You say the RCC teaches Jesus is the way to salvation.

If they are teaching the way to salvation, stressing it so that it is apparent to all who attend, then yes, that is the gospel, yet the pope has repeatedly only said things that undermine the gospel. A few examples are that atheists can go to heaven and there are many ways to God, even going so far as to encourage inter religious activity with such beliefs as Hindu, Buddhist telling the world it's all ok. Pick a religion and it will get you to God.

So how can a person claiming to represent God on earth make these claims and still support solid bible that says Christianity is exclusive to a fault? The BIBLE never says anything the pope says. The Bible tells us there is only ONE way to God through Jesus Christ. So then what is Jesus to the pope? The organization has crumbled from the top down IMHO. Are there priests who proclaim only the gospel ?  Who exclude any other additions or ways to God. Maybe there are, but their leader who directs their church would disagree.

Mormons? Similar to many other teachings out there, the Mormons, like the RCC have added to the bible using the visions of Joseph Smith in their version of the bible. Many times when questions are asked we look at things in terms of , " is this a lesser evil or is it better than something else"? In this case, to me, it's like saying the car has a flat tire on the left rear, is that better or worse than a flat on the right rear? Same as a person could be a believer in the Catholic church, they could be believers in the Mormon church. Not because of, but in spite of. If a Mormon truly believes Jesus was a created being, then the God they are trusting for their salvation has limitations and isn't truly God. The bible testifies that Jesus existed long before He was born and was a part of the trinity.

Edited by Starise

7 minutes ago, Starise said:

A few examples are that atheists can go to heaven...

I don't know if atheists will be saved or damned.  Only Jesus knows.  It's my understanding that non-Christians will be judged by Jesus at the Great White Throne Judgment.  I suppose it's possible that some non-Christians will be saved but I don't know that nor would I EVER advocate such a belief.  

Do you believe that all non-Christians will be damned?  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,125
  • Content Per Day:  9.67
  • Days Won:  149

2 minutes ago, Not of the World said:

I don't know if atheists will be saved or damned.  Only Jesus knows.  It's my understanding that non-Christians will be judged by Jesus at the Great White Throne Judgment.  I suppose it's possible that some non-Christians will be saved but I don't know that nor would I EVER advocate such a belief.  

Do you believe that all non-Christians will be damned?  

No.

I believe non-Christians will dam themselves in rejecting the only way to salvation.

There will be Baptists and Methodists in hell too.

If I were 10,000 feet up in an airplane and the engine stalls. If I turn to a man and say, this is the last parachute and the only way to avoid certain death take it, and he says to me " I think I can glide into the side of that mountain safely". So we end up arguing until we are at 1000 feet headed towards the mountain. Finally I jump with my parachute. If he goes down with the plane which hits the side of the mountain in a fireball knowing a way of escape was offered, whose fault is it?

If he goes down with the plane which hits the side of the mountain in a fireball knowing a way of escape was offered, whose fault is it?

Trump's.  

;)  

• Haha 1