IGNORED

Catholics Vs. Protestants (I don't get it)

Not of the World

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  1.85
  • Days Won:  1

I was raised a Catholic but decided to become non-demoniational about 6 years ago (I'm 56) as I gleaned that the RCC is not, in spite of their claims, the true church of Christ here on Earth.  With that said, it is my experience and my belief that there are MANY Godly Catholics and I believe that they are saved.  

The main tenants of Catholicisim and Protestantism are the same, right?  Jesus is God, he came to Earth and sacrified himself for our sins, whoever believes in him and who lives a life that is pleasing to him will receive eternal life, right?  

On some social media sites I see Catholics that believe that the only path to salvation is through the RCC and, conversely, I see Protestants that claim that all Catholics are going to Hell.  

I think both views are extreme and erroneous.  What are your thoughts?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

There are many unsaved in catholic and protestant churches. There are many saved through Christ sitting in both churches. Many doctrines of rcc are seriously wrong. Some doctrines in mainstream protestant churches are also seriously wrong. Fortunately God knows their hearts.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,907
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/06/1952

33 minutes ago, Not of the World said:

I was raised a Catholic but decided to become non-demoniational about 6 years ago (I'm 56) as I gleaned that the RCC is not, in spite of their claims, the true church of Christ here on Earth.  With that said, it is my experience and my belief that there are MANY Godly Catholics and I believe that they are saved.  

The main tenants of Catholicisim and Protestantism are the same, right?  Jesus is God, he came to Earth and sacrified himself for our sins, whoever believes in him and who lives a life that is pleasing to him will receive eternal life, right?  

On some social media sites I see Catholics that believe that the only path to salvation is through the RCC and, conversely, I see Protestants that claim that all Catholics are going to Hell.  

Are we saved because we believe in the Catechism, or because we follow the teaching of the Catechism? 

Catholic means Universal Church. Catholic are a part of the Universal Church, but other Churches make that same claim. Mostly Anglican Churches. This is why so many Catholics go to Anglican or Episcopal Churches because they all share the same liturgy. Lutherans and Methodists also use a book of common prayer. Along with apostolic secession. John Wesley actually began the Holiness Movement that is common throughout many different churches. 

You are not a Catholic because you believe in the Catechism. You are a member of the Catholic (Universal) Church when you follow the teaching of the Catechism.  To take communion in the Catholic Church you have to profess or confess that you believe in the teachings of the church. 

I do not know of any Catholics that follow the teaching of the Catechism. Luke 11:28 tells us we have to "hear and obey". We have to actually do what the word of God says to do. We need to be holy and sanctified before God. We need to become as Christ was. He lived His life as an example for us to follow. 

Of course, there is the issue of Mary and protestants do not believe in her life long commitment to live a Holy Sanctified life before God. But it is faith in Jesus that saves us. Not faith in Mary. She is just an example of a Saint for us to follow in the way we choose to live our life. 

If you go to a Catholic book store you will find the teaching of Martin Luther. So today I do not think there is a conflict. At the time he was alive, there was discussion about his teachings. But they seem to be universally accepted now. Although we tend to go by the teachings of Billy Graham now. Catholic, Protestant & Anglican.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  1.85

13 minutes ago, JohnR7 said:

If you go to a Catholic book store you will find the teaching of Martin Luther. So today I do not think there is a conflict. At the time he was alive, there was discussion about his teachings. But they seem to be universally accepted now.

Didn't Luther make some despicable statements about Jewish people?

16 minutes ago, JohnR7 said:

Although we tend to go by the teachings of Billy Graham now. Catholic, Protestant & Anglican.  

Billy Graham was Anglican (Episcopal), not Catholic or Protestant. So he believed in the universal (catholic) church. 

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,413
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

28 minutes ago, Not of the World said:

The main issues I take with the RCC are that the saints and Mary are semi-deified. They certainly don't use the same term but Mary and the saints are certainly prayed to and revered to the point that in practice, if you saw those behaviors outside of the Catholic church, it would definitely be interpreted as worship by most sensible people. That's really a big no no. The Bible makes it clear that Jesus intercedes for us and that He's THE Way, not A way, and then there's also some mental gymnastics one has to go to in order to excuse what could be interpreted as trying to communicate with the dead, which is yet another forbidden practice.

I couldn't rightly say whether or not I feel like they're errant to the point of going to Hell. I hope not, because there certainly are a number of Catholics who are good people.

53 minutes ago, Not of the World said:

There's a lot of overlap to be sure, but that doesn't mean much. Hindus have their own code that if followed would give them a moral code similar to Christianity in a lot of ways. Some of them even acknowledge the divinity of Christ. The catch is that they also acknowledge the divinity of hundreds of false gods, too. I believe that God is merciful and that we can get it wrong on some points and still make it into Heaven. But where to draw that line? That's unclear.

Going off on a bit of a tangent I was raised Protestant (I'm more non-denominational now) and for much of my life I assumed it was nearly identical in beliefs and practices between not only Catholics and Protestants but also between different denominations that were under the Protestant umbrella. Some of the differences were very surprising when I actually started looking into what they believed.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  348
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,502
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

The Catholic religion is the world’s largest religion, with about 1.4 billion adherents; Islam ranks number two. I have no doubt there are genuinely born-again believers in that system. That said, Catholicism fits the textbook definition of a “cult.” Unless someone calls me out on it, I’ll omit to list them.  

Catholicism is a manufactured traditionalist system based on works; Christianity is not. Christianity is a personal relationship with a Person. Belief, faith, and trust in One Person, and One Person alone, Jesus Christ.

I disdain bashing anyone, but Pope Francis is a communist to the core and a False Prophet. I will limit it to two examples for brevity of why he is a false prophet.

·         Pope Francis adamantly denies Jesus is the only way to eternal Salvation. He preaches that if you are a good person and live a moral life, you will enter heaven.

·         He openly confesses all religions believe and worship the same god, called by different names in different cultures.

The book of Revelation contains two distinct Mystery Babylon, commercial and spiritual, and both are “systems.”

Naturally, there are differences of opinion and interpretations. Reading the verse below in context with the previous three verses, I suspect it is also saying to get out of the RCC system.

Revelation 18:4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

The above is not open for argument with keyboard scholars, as it is only my opinion.

• Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Not of the World said:

Didn't Luther make some despicable statements about Jewish people?

Luther was a German. The Principal and the Director of my High School were German "Jews". They escaped Germany before the Holocaust because of their Education they were able to come here to American. My dad was stationed in Germany right after the war. He picked up some of those beliefs. He believed in Abortion and did not believe people with Downs Syndrome have the right to life.  My oldest brother and I would argue with my dad about this our whole life. 

2 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

Catholicism is a manufactured traditionalist system based on works; Christianity is not.

Works do not save us, works are evidence that we are saved. Of course, the Tax Collector in Luke was justified before God because he humbled himself. When people consider themselves better than Catholics, I would not consider that to be humble. That sounds more like the Pharisee to me. Do you really think you are justified before God because you are NOT a Catholic? 

10 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

Catholicism fits the textbook definition of a “cult.”

What is it in the Catechism that you object to?